Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

Hell to Pay - how the heck do they do it?

I've heard that in the unofficial Doom II mission pack Hell to Pay, there are levels that "self-destruct". I mean, it must be very hard to do without using some scripting (which I don't think it's possible in Doom, yet I could be wrong).

So how do levels "self-destruct"?

Just wondering...

I don't think so. Why would someone want to make maps that self-destruct anyway?

If you find it, buy it, and tell me where you got it.

Do the same with Perdition's Gate.

Edit: Ichor, self-destruct levels are fun. Think 007-style action. Get out before it blows up.

take a crusher with a rather large range (adjust to fit your self-destruct timer) and set a bunch of barrels and a voodoo doll underneath it.

make sure that you set the sectors up "correctly" so that you hear the barrels exploding if the level self-destructs on you.

more amusing methods can be done with scripting - i'd like to work on a level which ends with a battle on top of a building against a cybie... and if either one of you goes off the building, *boom* they're dead... (-insert random soul edge/"ring out" comment/idea here, if you want-)

Oh, I thought self-destructing meant that the files were deleted from your hard drive after a certain amount of time.

In that case, that sort of thing is very easy to do. There's a particularly annoying map I played recently where you had to make it through to the exit in a short time before the ceiling crushed the dummy player.

I do have both level packs by Wizzard Works in my collection and especially "Hell to Pay" fullfilled what the title promised, I bought it on eBay and the seller both cheated me with the postage and secondly with the the whole payment. But then again, the syntax of the English language is somewhat different from German, an d therefore I would say:
"It was the Hell to pay for "Hell to Pay""

Long time ago I made a DBZ map, based in the destruction of planet Namek. It is very fun, you must kill Freeza before the whole planet explodes.

I think the best self destruct map, is on Batman Tc, I don't remember the number of that level, but it is amazing, it also has a timer at the start of the level (all without sprites).

The other self destruct levels are just bad copies.

Kind of like descent? I loved how you had to escape the mines in descent before they exploded.

Self-destruct maps are good fun. There was a 3d fps for the MD that had self-destruct maps with 60, 70, 80 seconds to get back to the start in each. Added an extra dimension to the gameplay.

Ahh, I remember that game, "BloodShot" I think it was called. Not many FPS'es were made for old consoles like that, other than PC ports.

I'm planning on doing a self-destruct in level 20 of my wad. Basically you're firing through a FIREBLU wall at a boss brain you can't see. There are barrels next to it, which trail back to you. With one rocket, you and the brain die... and you die right before the level end screen. Thus you enter level 21 with nothing but normal health and the pistol (and a rocket launcher; since you were holding it, it makes sense for it not to be scattered around with your other weapons... so I'll put one on level 21's player start).

SlayeR said:

Ahh, I remember that game, "BloodShot" I think it was called. Not many FPS'es were made for old consoles like that, other than PC ports.

Was this the one on the mega-drive? I used to play deathmatch on that for hours.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

Was this the one on the mega-drive? I used to play deathmatch on that for hours.

yep, it's for megadrive. and it's awesome.