Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

doom vs. quake vs. heretic

Alright, it's Q&A time again!
Tell me, which of the three is the scariest game: Doom, Quake or Heretic?
/me withholds my opinion
OK, maybe I won't.
DooM-Even though it's from '93-'94, it still scares me occasionally. I was terrified when I first played it-especially that part in E2M1 when you first meet the Cacodemon.
Heretic-Started playing this back in '97-the shareware anyway. I don't know if it's me or what-this one didn't scare me much at all. It's not that it was a bad game-it's a very good game, but some of the creatures just aren't scary However, I did jump out of my seat quite a few times playing this game. The levels themselves were quite good, too.
Quake-This one is IMO the scariest of the three. Dark, creepy, brooding, eerie-all these words describe Quake quite well. The later levels were also quite eerie-especially the Elder World.

Hiya.

DOOM = Most "OHMYGOD!!!!" [craps pants] game, easy. Late at night, no one up, all lights out, headphones on and cranked up, no music. DOOM *still* makes me piss my pants every now and then....even though I know what's comming....most of the time. ;-)

HERETIC = Best looking. Archetecture is VERY cool, and the color palette is, bar none, the absolute *best* one I've see for any game.

QUAKE = Most potential to look cool. Make a PC or TC using quake, with the DOOM monsters, stle, feel....man, that would kick. Use the Quake2 engine...even better! The Unreal engine would be nigh-heaven. And "DOOM3" is probably going to blow all these out of the water. *drool* :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

The scaryest....I couldn't say, at one moment in time all three scared the crap out of me.....but I think Doom even made me feel unsecure, as I played alone, one o'clock in the night, with all lights off....

Quake for creepy/brooding environment.

Doom for scary environment.

Heretic I didn't find scary, although it did make me jump quite a few times.

Quake - that medieval feeling gave a great scary atmosphere.
Doom - at the time it was really scary to turn a corner and find an Imp in your face, the music, the background noises, the mug...it was great.
Heretic - Can be scary at times.

to go on...
Wolf 3D - that was pretty scary at it's time!

I agree with Lüt. But iD games aren't the scariest games I've ever played:

1. Aliens vs. Predator: I swear this thing makes me panic all the time... running away from Facehuggers without knowing where they are when you haven't got neither any flamethrower ammo nor the smartgun can be really stressful.

Then they instantly occupy the whole screen, resulting in a big *THUMP* (yours, of course :).

2. Alien Resurrection (PSX): the same as above, but with a better physics engine; also, you don't die instantly when you get Hugged... you still have some time before you die, so it's a rush to the antidote. Especially crappifying on one of those giant Sony TVs.

3. Undying and Half-Life: the ugliest beasts in the world seem to have united in this game :)

Unfortunately, Doom didn't turn out as scary as Quake Did, and Heretic doesn't have the horror factor like that of Quake's, so I should say that Quake is the most scariest game, like uh, an Ogre with a chainsaw? Yipes!

like pming & archvile said - Heretic absolutely rules, especially the middle levels of the first episode. they truly are beauty wadified. but scariest? it's a bit too cozy...

...and DOOM, which IS the best game of the 3, is too frantic. it simply isn't possible to get scared every other second. altho there are of course creepier passages.

so my vote falls on Quake, too. the castle levels of the 4th episode in particular, i felt genuine fear in there. ah, that wonderful dark castle level where torches throw shades all over, the one with the ogre in a cage, what's that one called?

Of the three games mentioned... Doom. To hear a cyberdemon clamp around in the distance, while you sneak trough darkened tunnels with an arch-vile ready to jump at you any time... That is fear. Otherwise, AVP. That game was made to make you crap your pants, it seems like. Play that game as a colonial marine, and you'll see what I mean :)