• Arch-Vile - Fire explosion; resurrection of dead
    • Knight - Random stronger axe (bloody)
    • Iron Lich - Random attacks; tornado
    • Maulotaur - Random attacks; spread; melee; straight
    • Centaur - Reflective shield
    • Stalker - Invincible when underwater; stays in certain area
    • Heresiarch - Random attacks; bounce; reflect; summon; spray
    • Other (specify)

Out of those choices, the heresiarch has to be, followed closely by the Maulotaur and Arch-Vile.

By "out of those choices" do you mean you had something else in mind?

I would've added other monsters, like the Bishop's spiral shot and the Yeti's projectiles that he shoots two of, and the shards can damage you, but there's a maximum of 10 choices.

Well, actually I did, but they weren't part of the original engine games, but part of a mod.

Oh, heh. Yeah I'd be screwed if I had to add all the monsters from mods.

What did you have in mind though?

Isn't the Spectre the only partially visible creature in any of the Doom engine games?

Also, I believe several of the enemies in Strife had some pretty unique abilities, but it's far too late at night for me to try to remember exactly what they were :)

Heh, like I said Nightmare. If I had more choices, I would've put a lot more on there, including

* Lost Soul's attack
* Spectre's invisibility
* PE's spawning Lost Souls
* The "ghost" monsters from Heretic
* The spread shot of the bishop thing from Heretic
* The mummy's slighly homing missiles
* The Death Wyvern
* Korax

And what I said above.

Arch vile, it would have been cool enough with just its fire attack, but adding the ressurection ability was a great idea to make it a truly formidable creature

Arch Vile for the combination of resurrection and it's attack, which makes good use of the whole alien technology thing. Heresiarch is a close second though.

Heresiarch has a lot of varied attacks, I must admit. Second from that is the Archvile.

Yeah, I picked the Arch-vile because even if other monters like the Heresiarch have multiple attacks, nothing surprises you more the first time you see it than a really tall monsters running over and bringing back a few imps you just got done killing. And while you're staring in awe, you blow up right after you see flames on the screen.

If you're lucky the archvile has also his suicidial resurrections. The tomahawk/rocketlaunching puncher get my vote though, that mix of guided/non guided attack took many marines to figure out.

Arch-Vile for the reasons mentioned and the fact that it blasts you up in the air - this adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay. IMO this gives it the edge over the Heresiarch.

It's also cool that the Arch-Vile can suicide with its own splash damage - silly billy. :) Nothing quite like an archie vs cyberdemon infight.

A ghost pain elemental is pretty unique too, but very rare.

Oh, and I happen to like revenants, especially when there is a pack of about 100 of them, with a few archies in the middle.

...faintly hears the sound of a cuckoo clock in Grazza's head...

my vote goes to the Maulotaur on Heretic and Hexen

I believe he had the best random attacks. You never knew what he was gonna do and using the dark servant in death match does wonders.

If I had to choose a monster to control in like 1st or 3rd person and I could use all of their abilities, the Maulotaur would be my choice.

Ichor said:

...faintly hears the sound of a cuckoo clock in Grazza's head...

Not sure I understand. Can you do Heresiarch jumps too?

No. I'm talking about actually enjoying a room packed with scores of Revenants with a few Arch-Viles thrown in (with nothing but a pistol). You must be cuckoo if you like those odds.

Yeah what horrible odds.

The REAL battle comes when it's over 250 revenants with Mancubus snipers in tall towers, Pain Elementals flying overhead, and Arch-Viles in the back of the revenant army. That and you only have your fist.

THOSE are the kinds of odds that make it all worthwhile.

Ichor said:

No. I'm talking about actually enjoying a room packed with scores of Revenants with a few Arch-Viles thrown in (with nothing but a pistol). You must be cuckoo if you like those odds.

I was thinking of well-designed maps that give you a fair chance against such a hoard - ones like H2H-Xmas map12 and Scythe map26.

Nanami: sounds good. Got a link to the wad?

Hey, I could always make a level like that and release it to /newstuff

Should I? =P

Yes! If you get the gameplay balance right, it will make you a legend alongside Dario Casali and Yonatan Donner. Er, and Erik Alm.

What really sucks is when you've used up your last bullet, shell, rocket and cell (and you don't have the chainsaw, and you're not berserk) and big enemies (such as the Baron and Caco) keep teleporting in, in huge numbers.

Grazza said:

Yes! If you get the gameplay balance right, it will make you a legend alongside Dario Casali and Yonatan Donner. Er, and Erik Alm.

Heh. Trying to balance the gameplay in a wad like that would be like trying to balance Anna Nicole Smith, belly first, on a priceless Ming vase. Doesn't work, no matter what angle you try. :P

The guys I mentioned seemed to manage it. You never played, say, HR map22?

Rubilacxe said:

monster to control in like 1st or 3rd person and I could use all of their abilities, the Maulotaur would be my choice.

Get korax mod: http://www.korax-heritage.com/kmod/index.php

Advance to level 7 (I think ?) with the mage, and you can possess any monster (apart from bosses) and use all it's attacks (or defenses in the case of the shield guys).