Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mlin

Where can I download Marine's Best Friend?

The links on the Doomworld pages appear to be broken, and I haven't been successful in searching on Google, either.

Thanks.

How do you use it?I downloaded it and opened MBF.exe, but nothign happened.

mlin said:

Thanks.

How do you use it?I downloaded it and opened MBF.exe, but nothign happened.

You need to put a Doom IWAD in the same directory as it. IWADs are as follows :

doom1.wad (shareware)
doom.wad (registered Doom or Ultimate Doom)
doom2.wad (Registered Doom 2)
doom2f.wad (French / European "censored" version of Doom 2)

Whoops, the MBF.exe program is now saying 'failed trying to allocate DOS near pointers'.

Well Eternity is like BOOM and MBF and SMMU all rolled into one. It even has the doggies and stuff so you may want to get Eternity if you have problems with MBF. I heard Eternity also fixed alot of bugs that MBF had.

MBF is also a DOS port, which might not run correctly under XP. IF this is the case with your system, I suggest using Eternity.

mlin said:

Whoops, the MBF.exe program is now saying 'failed trying to allocate DOS near pointers'.

Yeah, I get that with all DOS based BOOM derivative ports on my machine under XP.

MBF is the only one with the whole beta emulation mode, isn't it? Do any others even still have the beta BFG besides Fusion (don't know about the released version of that one though)?

Eternity still has the Beta BFG, enabled on the weapon options menu. However, the rest of the beta emulation mode was removed by fraggle in SMMU. Why, I dunno. I've had to work around a number of issues caused by its removal, including adding 21 dummy frames that are no longer used for anything :P

If I ever get TERRIBLY bored, I might add it back in some day.

My guess is it was out of respect for Lee Killough and so that it wouldn't be a replacement for MBF. What I would do is simply not include betagrph.wad and betalevl.wad so people still have to download MBF to get them.