Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StRiKeR

D64 TC, Love it or hate it?

Well I love the TC, a faithfull conversion. So what about you guys, do you love it or hate it? Anybody gonna be making maps for this? I know I am gonna try...

Can't wait for DarkNexus!

I want make love with it.

Well, may be I just love it.

The item graphics seem to be screwed. Oh and it crashes everything a map changes. So it made me irritated and i deleted it

Ralphis said:

The item graphics seem to be screwed. Oh and it crashes everything a map changes. So it made me irritated and i deleted it

First of all, make sure you're using the latest doomsday snapshot, it will NOT work with any other source port, PERIOD. I have no problems at all.

I repeat, it WILL NOT work with ANY OTHER source port, ONLY Doomsday.

S_StartMusic: runnin.
Z_Malloc: Failed on allocation of 3710814 bytes.
Please increase the size of the memory zone with the -maxzone option.

This happens everytime I attempt to play. You should've picked a sourceport that runs

ok it works now, but that doesnt explain why the items look like shit.

Because theyre only items and they couldnt be bothered to do a decent ripping job on things you just run over? XD

Anyway, one thing that annoys me about it is all the JDOOM features 'get in the way', in a way, like the cool blood effects, the different explosions and 'foggy' rocket trails where not in the actual doom64 game (as far as i know XD)..though they do look cool, they also seem out of place..oh well

Looking at the (minor) colour banding on some of the weapons and enemies and the more major banding on the items, I'd say the new palette is not quite a perfect conversion of the D64 one.

Anyway, IMO it rules. Been playing it all day.

//Edit: Into the Void is one of the most inventive Doom maps ever, and Dark Citadel is probably still my favourite, although the lighting differs quite a lot from the D64 version.

deathbringer said:

Because theyre only items and they couldnt be bothered to do a decent ripping job on things you just run over? XD

Anyway, one thing that annoys me about it is all the JDOOM features 'get in the way', in a way, like the cool blood effects, the different explosions and 'foggy' rocket trails where not in the actual doom64 game (as far as i know XD)..though they do look cool, they also seem out of place..oh well

It's best to disable particle effects. Also, we used a tile dumper to directly take the sprites out of the rom.

The TC is very good, but not exactly as faithful as I would have hoped for. I'd make some sort of list, but they're nit-picky things. Except for the Unmaker, that's the only problem I have with it, the Unmaker feels underpowered.

[edit] actually, scratch all that, its more faithful to the original then I thought. Just some levels are carried over better than others. And the Unmaker still seems underpowered.

It's obvious that alot of work went into this TC. Very polished and professional like. I didn't like JDOOM much previously but this TC made good use of it IMHO. This is waaaay better than the original Doom64 which I have played a little. I'm going to burn this onto a CD and pass it to my friend who also happens to be a DOOM nut (he's got more a life than me though but I'm sure he'll enjoy it :)

I think the TC is fantastic. An incredibly well executed project. To me it has basically everything that characterises D64 without the problems of having to play it on the N64.

Despite being played via a PC doom port, it also underlines to me that D64 is not Doom, but a different game (almost) entirely.

Also, getting more experience with Doomsday (albeit via a mod that is supposed to make things feel differently) makes me wonder about people who claim that Doomsday feels just like Doom.exe, only prettier. Nothing like the original exe.

Neither of the above prevent the TC from being great fun, and are of course totally IMO.

Enjay said:

Also, getting more experience with Doomsday (albeit via a mod that is supposed to make things feel differently) makes me wonder about people who claim that Doomsday feels just like Doom.exe, only prettier. Nothing like the original exe.

It feels just like the original exe! Only prettier! It's my favorite non-editing port! (Deepsea screws me whenever I try to edit in jDoom or Edge )-:) Anyway, awesome job guys, this is definitally one of the best TCs ever (next to Barbershop Doom ;-)

I'm very very impressed with the Doom 64 TC. I admire the hard work the team took making all the levels from scratch and I like being able to use the "new" weapons in deathmatch. I've always liked the Doom 64 Plasma Rifle better than the original for some reason and being able to use the Demon Lazer is an added plus as well.

I also like the brand new enemies, which weren't in Doom 64, and the new levels as well. Although the MOD isn't a PERFECT remake of its Nintendo counterpart, its simply amazing how close to the orginal they got, right down to some of the smallest details.

My hats go off to Elbryan and the rest of the Doom 64 team...you guys have done a wonderful job :)

Rubilacxe said:

I'm very very impressed with the Doom 64 TC. I admire the hard work the team took making all the levels from scratch and I like being able to use the "new" weapons in deathmatch. I've always liked the Doom 64 Plasma Rifle better than the original for some reason and being able to use the Demon Lazer is an added plus as well.

I also like the brand new enemies, which weren't in Doom 64, and the new levels as well. Although the MOD isn't a PERFECT remake of its Nintendo counterpart, its simply amazing how close to the orginal they got, right down to some of the smallest details.

My hats go off to Elbryan and the rest of the Doom 64 team...you guys have done a wonderful job :)

I hear that!

The Ultimate Doomer should recognize one of those new enemies.

SPOILERS!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The new monsters are the Nightmare Imp, Nightmare Spectre, Motherdemon, and Nightmare cacodemon.

I hope to see in Dark Nexus, and DOOM revisited, a new version of the Spidermastermaind and the Icon of Sin.

I'm adicted to this Tc.

The Ultimate Doomer should recognize one of those new enemies.

Oh yeah, I remember that :) The palette conversions don't look quite as cheap in Doom64 somehow though, maybe because the D64 demon/imp/caco look less cartoony than the originals.

As for the Unmaker feeling underpowered, it always felt underpowered to me. Even if it killed a cyber in one shot it'd feel underpowered to me.... I think it's because of the lack of a)recoil, b)significant muzzle flare and c)space invaders style firing sound. It's got to be the coolest looking Doom weapon ever though.

Dang. I've been playing this TC all day since I downloaded it this morning. As a fan of the original Doom64, I must say that they did an excellent job of recreating it! The new levels are great, as well, and the music is still superb(even the crappy 56k version).

If someone could put those special "nightmare" versions of the monsters into a normal doom map, that'd be awesome!

footman said:

SPOILERS!
*lots of lines*
The new monsters are the Nightmare Imp, Nightmare Spectre, Motherdemon, and Nightmare cacodemon.

As anyone can find out from READING THE MANUAL XD

hope to see in Dark Nexus, and DOOM revisited, a new version of the Spidermastermaind and the Icon of Sin.

Well, now that the TC is out of the way, hopefully Dark Nexus won't take aslong to make, being that a good majority of the time in making the TC was resource gathering & perfecting. Now that we already have the resources, it's just a matter of mapping.

I might aswell let all of you know, since it's not like you can see them yet, that I have plans for a new Revenant, Spidermastermind, and of course, the Arch Vile. And maybe a completely new monster to go in. It all depends on what the team can do.

The team is actually quite large :P The main reason was is that I want to get Dark Nexus complete as fast as possible, plus, it's always fun to look at different people's maps in projects. I don't know that I have a certain "syle", I'm pretty random, but if I do, I wouldn't want it to get old while playing through all 40 levels :P

As for Doom64 revision, I'm not entirely sure about that yet. It's actually kind of easy for me to convert the levels, but I think if I release it, it'll be later on after Dark Nexus, as a side project.

Sometime soon, I'll be releasing a Dark Nexus level or two as a demo ^_^. But for right now I'm outta here. Peace!