Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

DeePsea finally fails it

Well, I have to say. Even if nobody else in this community likes DeePsea, I've always used it.

Why did I always use it? Well, any time I've ever needed anything done, I could do it with DeePsea. Hey, I want to try out some new ZDoom features! DeePsea. Hey, I just learned how to do all my texture work on my own, you don't have to do it for me anymore! DeePsea. Hey, could you look at this level? It has problems with it, can you fix them? DeePsea.

Well, it's been a bumpy ride but I've always found a way around. Until today.

I was playing the Doom64 TC (which is awesome by the way. My drivers are brand-spanking-new and I can only use Direct X, 640x480, fullscreen. Anything else totally crashes. It also crashes at the end of each level, and there is no transparency--everything has a big black box around it. Totally cool) and about halfway through I said "Hey, that chainsaw would be neat touched up."

So I opened DeePsea, hoorj! I saw the palette was off, hmm. I've worked with Hexen and Heretic's palette before, but I picked specifically "Hexen" from a list of palettes. Okay, let's work around this...

Twenty minutes later I'm frustrated. I've gone through all the windows and options and haven't had any luck. You know that option under "Modes" called "Fix the Palette?" Guess what it doesn't do?

In the background my friends are yelling "Use xwe!" "Use wintex!" and I'm saying "gn0! I will figure it out!" So I try the graphic editor. I apparently "extract the palette," and then try to convert the textures using this new palette, which generates garbage. I mess around for a pretty long time. It's been about an hour now. I try changing options left and right...

And finally, I sigh, and say okay when a friend offers to extract the sprites himself. He takes less than 2 minutes and sends me the chainsaw sprites, and I kick DeePsea in the nose because I've finally found something it doesn't do (or at least doesn't do easily). I thought DeePsea would just read the palette from the wad, but alas I couldn't figure out how.

Well that's my story. Go ahead and say blog if you like.

I loaded up the wad via Wintex and was viewing the sprites earlier. Didn't have to mess with no pallete shit.

/me points at DeePSea and laughs

Nanami said:

I thought DeePsea would just read the palette from the wad, but alas I couldn't figure out how.

Heh, I was looking through the changelog the other day to find out which is the first version that supported large levels, and I remember one of the recent changes was that this feature had been disabled by default but that it could be accessed another way. I forget how though.

Amazing how DeePsea is so great and powerful, yet at the same time such a shoddy, messy, inefficient piece of, well, you know the rest.

On a side note I just learned how to align sprites in DeePsea and used that knowledge to fix some sprites for ZooM. More power to me!

I use Paintshop Pro and DCK. No DeepSea for me...unless maybe I'm in a submarine.

If Deepsea is good enough for me, it sure is good enough for the rest of you lot =)

Just email the guy, if the feature is borked he'll usually fix it and send the update for free.

I believe you have to create a new "Project" in order to use a new palette in DeePsea.

I'v have never really used DeePsea I guess I just dont want to take the time to learn how to use it, I just use wintex and WadAuthor.

Never had anything like this happen while I was using Deepsea, but then again I don't go and extract palettes and futz around with stuff either :P

Speaking of programs that fail it, anyone got any idea how to get results with that half life model-to-doom sprite thing? im sure theres an easier way that taking a pic at frame 0, then one at frame 200 (andf you have to click 200 times!), then one at 400 and 600 to get a vaugley-doomy walking animation XD

XWE rules.

deathbringer said:

Speaking of programs that fail it, anyone got any idea how to get results with that half life model-to-doom sprite thing? im sure theres an easier way that taking a pic at frame 0, then one at frame 200 (andf you have to click 200 times!), then one at 400 and 600 to get a vaugley-doomy walking animation XD

Not that know of. And I'll tell you right now, get ready to do some major pain-in-the-ass touch-ups on those screenies before they look remotely decent in Doom.

I'm probably the only one here using DEU 5.21 and it's slightly modified derivitive, KillEd 1.3x. Along with XWE, NWT, DMMUSIC, MIDI2MUS, DMAUD, DMGRAPH, and all those other archaic editors. Oh, and I've not had any problems opening the Doom64 resources with these.

EDIT: Archaic except for NWT and XWE.

Eh? XWE isn't archaic. Besides Fred's editor (OMGIFOL I think it's called), I believe it's the newest wad editing utility around.

Well, it's back to bashing an editor or editors...nothing unusual to it. Of course, through all this "Deep" has been banned from the forums so he can't defend himself or his editor or maybe even give you a helping hand. I feel there is more to this than meets the eye, who knows? Whether you like Deepsea or not here is an editor that alot of work has been put into to make it workable and does just about everything you want it to. I enjoy the fact that because of the success of Deepsea that many of the other editors we've come to know and love are coming out of hiatus. Look at the latest news on WadAuthor and how about WHY....:)

This issue with Deepsea will not deter me from using it and switching to any other editor. I do like the direction that WHY is going, but again that editor is in the early stages of testing and coding. When WadAuthor comes out with an update then I'll look at that one as well...come on ZETH!! heh! :)

I used to be a big DETH and ZETH fan and my first editor was DoomCad 6.1! Ah, the memories...but I love my Deepsea, it hasn't failed me yet.

Note of interest, if the editor Deepsea is to get better and squash the bugs and implement any changes or concerns from the Doom Community, even maybe as the issue above how can it with "DEEP" banned from the forums? Whether you like the guy or not and have issues with him maybe he can get another opportunity? Who knows.

Either way...it's just my measly 2 cents...sigh.

Thanks everyone...keep up the level editing so I can play more new stuff!

Cadman - TeamTNT

insertwackynamehere said:

I got the sprites out of wintex, and created this!! lollololollol ;-)

dear lord

if I ever make a map the next editor im using will be WHY. Deepsea just proved to be too frustrating.

Cadman said:

I used to be a big DETH and ZETH fan and my first editor was DoomCad 6.1!

My first editor was an early version of DEU (2 or 3. something), and to me DeePsea feels like an evolution of it, in much the way ZDoom is (IMO) an evolution of doom(2).exe.

Wait a minute, Deep is banned? What happened? Gimme a link to the thread, somebody.

Reading this I was gonna post "DeePse.cx" and "Please God don't let Deep see this," but now it seems like it would be unfunny.

insertwackynamehere said:

I got the sprites out of wintex, and created this!! lollololollol ;-)

now THAT is AWESOME!!! great work hahahaa

hahah, jack must be pulling out his hair reading this and not being able to respond in some sort of condescending way with claims that whoever is an idiot and the problem is obviously the fault of an ignorant user who can't read the help files or sort through the gigantic mess of GUI that we call deepsea...

but I'm not biased I swear