Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nanami

DeePsea finally fails it

A regular ban just affects the account, while an ip ban affects the ip address, and I think it prevents you from even viewing the forums.

An IP ban stops someone from evading a ban by just opening a new account from the same intarweb location.

*Damn it! pwned by a few seconds*

Cyb said:

hahah, jack must be pulling out his hair reading this and not being able to respond in some sort of condescending way with claims that whoever is an idiot and the problem is obviously the fault of an ignorant user who can't read the help files or sort through the gigantic mess of GUI that we call deepsea...

Wow, I actually completely agree with you.

Unless he's able to visit from a different IP address, which is quite possible.

Cyb said:

hahah, jack must be pulling out his hair reading this and not being able to respond in some sort of condescending way with claims that whoever is an idiot and the problem is obviously the fault of an ignorant user who can't read the help files or sort through the gigantic mess of GUI that we call deepsea...

but I'm not biased I swear

Just great everyone...slam him down. I guess it's okay for some to "Jack" slam but not for others...nice. I've seen Jack in many posts go out of his way to help people with issues/problems that they may be having in Deepsea. Most times he gets very defensive because of the way others gut the editor. He defends his editor with a passion because of all the hard work he and others have put into it. It's true, Jack can get really hyper at times, I've talked with him on the phone and he can be very technical and that's where I can get get lost. From reading the other forums where he and others have gotten into it, man does it get heated. But that goes both ways, people that have been here for a while and have dealt with Jack know just what buttons to press to get him going. They slam him, he slams them back and it keeps going...no end in sight. I call it "coders war."

The major difference is that Jack got banned and the others did not...so while he sits on the sidelines watching himself getting trashed by others, those others sit here on the forums letting him and his editor have it. Usually this all stems from power trips, egomania and the such. I used to love to sit back on the IRC channels and watch people get kicked and banned from a channel because somebody with "OPS" didn't like what he said and gave him the boot. I know, it happened to me, I don't know what I said but all of a sudden I was kicked from the channel. When I got back in I asked why, and the OPS person said "because I can." I resigned from a clan because of the abuse of OPS privileges within the channel.

And at times I see that here on the forums. Most of the time people are banned for very good reasons but in some it's because of a clash of egos and the other person doesn't like it, the difference? One person has OPS or moderator privileges and the other does not, so who wins?

So, to finish...is Deepsea perfect or the best editor out there? I find it a matter of personal taste. I like Deepsea because it does what I want it to do and I do "find it easy to use." I had no problems with the tutorials. The so-called messy GUI suits me just fine. When I first started out with the editor I was apprehensive because it looked so complicated but in reality it's not. I looked at WadAuthor and found it to plain for me. Deepsea gives me that quick reaction time..point and click and it's done. Everything is right there in front of me, don't have to search for it. WadAuthor can do the job, it's a good editor but Deepsea gives it all to me.
Say what you want, but I personally wish to thank Jack for all the hard work he has put into that editor we call Deepsea...good work Jack!

Cadman - Member TeamTNT

Fair point. OK, everyone, I know it's tempting, but please try to avoid taking too many cheap shots at Jack and his baby.

I just call it how I see it, and that's how he's always come across to me, and I've even seen email from him to others where he said flat out that he enjoyed starting arguments and trolling with people on the forums (and not just these forums).

I understand you like deepsea and that's perfectly fine, but imo any criticism it gets is deserved becasue he charges $40 for the full version (and this is also the major reason the criticism of it is so harsh at times), which is more money than the game it edits has cost for years. and in a small community which is based on free distribution of everything from levels to resources right down to the source of the very game centered around it, it just seems kind of odd to me, but if people actually want to buy it, more power to him I suppose.

I would like to reiterate that he does deserve criticism he gets, because he has a history of extreme trolling. I mean, flat out name-calling, baiting, hypocricy (saying one thing and then saying the opposite a few posts later), and basically the worst form of internet flaming imaginable. Nasty, nasty stuff.

By the way, his "e-mail to others" was an e-mail to me.

Ichor said:

A regular ban just affects the account, while an ip ban affects the ip address, and I think it prevents you from even viewing the forums.

Correct. Username bans prevent a user from posting with said username, yet if they log out, they can at least VIEW posts and stuff. An IP ban completely removes them from the forums.

Deep was banned for trolling an admin. Not all admins were in favour of that decision, but we can't go around overruling eachother without mutual consent. Yes, Deep might yet be unbanned.

This thread is now closed.