Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

newbie help

here is help for new doomers or older doomers who have not kept up. this has been said for a long time but i still see questions about it. many errors that you may get useing the original doom ports, includeing doom95, are fixed in new ports like zdoom, legacy and boom. there is NO advantage to useing the original ports over new source ports. the source ports have so many bug fixes and great addons. jumping is about the only thing that majorly damages game play on some levels. high res and look up/down are great features. no doom is not being turned into quake. also many new levels use new port feature or will at least visplane over flow the original engine. these ports can be used with shareware doom.

It's the feel. A lot of them just don't feel like Doom. People like the way original Doom feels.

I like EDGE cause its easy to make some changes (Im not perfect at DDF I suck at it).Legacy cause of the bloodsplats and ZDOOM cause of the drag-n-drop a file and BOOM loaded.

No I'm sure there're other people who're too lazy to set ZDoom to work on a double click like I do. =)

Am I the only person who uses the DOS method to load ZDoom???

zdoom -file etc...

I still do that too. In fact, I launch all DOOM games from the DOS prompt.

If I feel like indulging myself I'll play ZDoom, Legacy, JDoom, and the like. But most times I'm serious about it and really want to make a mess of the demons so I usually play PrBoom for its countless bug fixes and retainment of the original DOOM feel.

To me, DOOM must be a DOS game, that's why I stopped liking ZDOOM once it became only for Windows.

I did try the Windows version of ZDOOM 1.22, and it looked crappy and somewhat unpolished, although the features are great.

I believe BOOM is the best of all source ports, as it's steady, bug free, close to the original and has almost no loose ends. TeamTNT is TeamTNT, too bad they stopped working on BOOM once they disposed of most of the editing limitations. There's this thing called MBF which is a continuation - how far has it progressed?

I setted up all the addon WADs to be played via BOOM, but I still play the original DOOM engine for the Final DOOM levels, which I now play. I guess it's the feeling.

The mouse look-feature makes the Doom 2's end boss too easy. Just shoot from the lever with a rocket launcher and that's it. But the ZDoom is yeap.

I like playing with EDGE, myself. I just like being able to do more things with the Doom series than before. Admittedly, I'm no level builder (if I was, I'd be making my own TC right now, cuz I code weapons and such with EDGE).