Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gajita

My First Bit Of Doom Fan-Art

Everything is pretty good except for the eyes there 2 big and look like a praying mantis make them smaller and more protected looking and it'll give it a kickass look.

Hmm... I'm going to start giving more elaborate critiques on fanart posted here.

If anyone does NOT want me disecting their images, just let me know and I'll make a list.

This image lacks alot of anatomy. The muscles are off and alittle freakish. (mastoids, for instance, don't do that..)
He lacks visable elbows, has no indication of a ribcage, and is very flat. Try sketching in 3d forms (like spheres, and boxes to start) to help establish weight and depth)

I feel you kinda got lazy near the bottom of the page and conveniently cut off his hands and belly. (One of which ends in a blotchy mess of red that looks like it was cut with pinking shears.)
(I suggest either finishing the image completely or making the tear more random.. maybe have some goo hanging out...) (As for drawing hands.. don't leave out hands if you can help it! Hands are an artist's friend... drawing them adds personality and really completes an image... leaving the hands off tends to suggest you are unsure as to how to draw them))

As was stated.. the eyes are too big... a trick to make monsters look larger is to make their eyes smaller in relation to their bodies... (whales have tiny eye to body ratio... squirrels and mice have huge eyes... prolly why they have no room for a brain half the time ;)

The coloring is okay, but seems streaky... perhaps try shading.. or coloring over the forms in a more 3D manner. On the metal, some obvious shines would help really drive the cyberness home. For the eyes... a slight shine would also be desired to show the wetness of the surface and to bring it more to life.

For help on anatomy, there's lots of books out there (some are almost pocket sized) that can help you learn placement and use of all the muscles.

I'm not trying to attack you.. just trying to help you for your next image, which I hope to see :)

Silverwyvern said:

Example of very detailed critique :)

Fully agreed. I could say that the showed image has lots of lacks, but with that i should admit that any attempt is goood, so keep drawing :).

2 Silverwyvern: bite me!!! :)

hmmm, well i agree with all thats been said here and i shall try harder!

i do need a lot of practice, i know that much thanx for all the suggestions :-)

Not bad. The coloring in could be a bit smoother and the eyes should be less bulbous but not bad. Muscles could do with a bit more work though.

Gajita said:

i do need a lot of practice, i know that much thanx for all the suggestions :-)

Keep at it! :) a warrior who keeps on trying and training will never truly lose.

Silverwyvern said:

For help on anatomy, there's lots of books out there (some are almost pocket sized) that can help you learn placement and use of all the muscles.

Burne Hogarth has a goo book about drawing people. Dynamic anatmoy it is called. It's a pretty thick book though

Gajita said:

that sounds like something off Mortal Kombat! lol :D

Street fighter apparently (Ryu)

well SF is cool as anything too...its pretty hard to choose a fav outta those two

and thanx, ill have a look for that book when pay day gets here, lol

I agree with silverwyvern with the critique, but what the devil is a mastoid?!
I tried to look for web for some pictures what this mastoids things look like but I couldn't find any. I checked the dictionary what it means in my language, but it was a word I haven't heard before.
Could someone explain please?

[EDIT]
After looking some anatomy references I believe that it is that muscle named sterno-cleido-mastoideus, the muscle coming from behind he ear to chest, that silverwyvern was referring? Am I right?
Forgive my stupidity, but the translation for mastoid in my language was nothing ever near any muscles :)

hey baby come over here and show me those sexy neck muscles of yours...oooh yeeh...;-)

must try that one...just to see whatll happen!

Another thing which is really just a personal taste and Doom specific thing... On Doom cyber creatures, to me it always looks like a lot of the cybernetics actually hurt or are uncomfortable. Where the various pipes and wires enter the demons body should look red and weepy like an unpleasant sore (are there pleasant ones?). I know you have quite a few rips and stuff, they just don't look painful enough IMO. :-)

okay, ill take that in mind too...i know what you mean, cos it wouldnt exactly feel very nice having a metal wire sticking out of your arm...well...unless you like that sort of thing...

*sticks another thumbtack into her arm
"...57.......58..."

Seriously.. a nice purple for bruising.. or a green.. green bruises hurt too... looks rotton... oh it'll be devine.. I demand to see this bruisey flesh! ;)