Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
captmellow

dm map rating factors

deathmatch map rating factors:

imo, these 7 factors , each rated on a scale of 1-10, should be considered when reviewing a dm map:

aesthetics: How does the map look? Is the texturing well done? Does the architecture look good?
flow: Does the map flow well? Are the different areas well connected? Is the map easy to navigate? Do you get stuck on pillars, etc.?
layout: How is the layout? Is it fun to play this map? Or is it boring?
weapons: Is there a good selection of weapons? Are they well placed? Do they unbalance the game?
spawning: Are the repawn points well placed? Do players repawn with an unfair advantage or disadvantage?
bots: How well do bots play on this level?
players: How well do humans play on this level?

the ratings of all factors are averaged into the final score, which is a float w/ a precision of 2.

LOL yep.

5? Well, thank you for confirming what I already suspected. =)

I have made a lot of maps since then, though, and thank God they're getting better.

I have made a lot of maps since then, though, and thank God they're getting better.

Since when Dashiva's God? ;)

IMO, layout, flow and weapon/powerup placement should account for at least 70-80% of the map's score. Spawn spot placement is too closely linked to flow to be considered a separate category. Layout, flow and weapon placement are what determine the gameplay or how well players play the map so a separate category for this isn't really necessary either. Bots are notoriously stupid. I don't think a map should be penalized if they are too dumb to get the gist of how the map is played.

I'm with Stphrz, yeah, that makes a lot of sense buddy.

BTW do you want to buy some outdated crosses? I'll give you a helluva deal...

thnx for the input re: weighting of the different factors. I was considering something along those lines. How to implement it & still keep the final score in a 1-10 scale is atm not w/in my knowledge.

Okay, the rating system has the superfluous "players" rating removed. The "Bots" rating is no longer calculated into the score, but it is still displayed for informational purposes.