Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jetflock

wad-apartment style-released.

just released a wad based on my first apartment in chicago. has texture and thing replacements. must be played on legacy with open_gl, and nomonsters selected. replaces map 01. use the link on the Doom ForeveR page titled chicago wad link at the top right hand side of the screen. screenshots available.
http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/doomforever.html
doom_forever@hotmail.com
(this is an alpha release, the level will change and grow in time)

not bad! lots of nice details

a few notes

1) its legacy (blech)

2) you have a tiny apartment :P

3) you have nowhere to sleep!

Uh, number one: that's an apartment.

Number two: I have a real problem with ammo placement. In both level, I got pissed off a lot because I had some rockets (and in the case of level 4, a crapload of cells), and just pellet weapons. I suppose you got those weapons as secrets somewhere, but you shouldn't have to find secrets just to beat the level. Also, if there are such secrets, they don't show up as secret areas. I kept going through level 4 without using any cheats... until I returned through the lava pool room and saw that whole crapload of enemies. I had about 25 bullets and 4 shells, 300 cells and no plasma gun at the time.

This is the kind of point where I go "screw this" and cheat. The only reason I didn't quit was because I loved some of the architecture and new graphics and wanted to see more of THEM.

Please tell me I just missed something? I loved everything else about those levels, but the monster/ammo ratio was just screwed up IMO.

Cyb said:

this site has exceeded data transfer...

Seconded.

there is a second download page for the apartment wad(das3.wad), forever is a seperate project entirely.. the secrets are not marked because i don't like marking them. i don't care for the point or secret thingy at the end of the levels. map 04 was accidently released with the wad, thats why it isn't really beatable, it is set to be played after you already have a decent arsenal on hand. these levels were released a while ago and have been tested alot and ARE playable, but at that time, they were in a good rotation. Also, When most people first played forever (the first level) they were like "This sucks", but after they played it a couple more times they found all the secrets/ammo/etc, and they told me they enjoyed it more the second time around. as for map 04, yes again, even I cheat when I play it without the rest of the missions, there is a scene where you are in a stadium-esque room when an army of demons is pited against you, its beatable, but its a bitch without being in its proper place in the TC.

On a side note, the reason that this particular TC (ForeveR) is having a hard time for the full release was because I can't decide on the new rotation of the levels. Some were discarded for better maps, while others seam to fit better when switched around.

jetflock said:

the secrets are not marked because i don't like marking them.

o_O

jetflock said:

map 04 was accidently released with the wad, thats why it isn't really beatable, it is set to be played after you already have a decent arsenal on hand. these levels were released a while ago and have been tested alot and ARE playable, but at that time, they were in a good rotation.

When you're making a megawad, you do have to remember to make the levels playable from a pistol start. Some people do still play it old school, I think, where they die and then restart. Don't count that out. I actually have trouble remembering that sometimes myself...

jetflock said:

Also, When most people first played forever (the first level) they were like "This sucks", but after they played it a couple more times they found all the secrets/ammo/etc, and they told me they enjoyed it more the second time around.

Again: IMO secrets should not have to be found to complete a level.

Heh, i found the SSG at the start of forever wad purley by chance (to see the new pistols firing anim), i imagine the level would be horrible without it, maybe you could tone down the enemies right at the start (no chaingunners), or include a shotgun guy very early on (like second room), and 4 shells in a corner somewhere...

Heh, im making sure all ultimate hell levels are playable from a pistol start, but if you come in carrying over all the stuff from before they seem to easy, oh well, what are super imps for XD