Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vile1011

Strange error

I'm having an odd error that pops up every so often in my map. Collision detection becomes all wrong: You can pass through single sided walls completely, and you can go a few inches INTO two sided impassable walls. Monsters can see you no matter where they are in the map and can follow you, but never attack you. Your weapons pass straight through enemies with no effect. After a few minutes the game just crashes.

The first time this happened, it was because of a super-complicated sector. When I split it up into several smaller ones, the wierd error went away.

The second time it happened was when I made a sector that was way too damn big. I shortened it and it was fine.

The last time I don't understand at all. I found and deleted the offending sectors and the effect went away, but there wasn't anything unusual about them.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? What the hell is going on?

All I know for sure is that is has something to do with the BLOCKMAP lump for your level. That keeps data of where all the walls etc. are, I think. I guess if it fucks up, the game just kind of guesses at wall locations. I once copied a level from my wad to its own level for DM. But I forgot the blockmap lump and I got similar results.

sounds like a blockmap error which usually occurs if maps are too large in terms of area I believe

also if it's an extremly large sector, it's possible it's a nodes issue since nodes essentially split up large sectors into smaller ones, though I forget why exactly...

Vile1011 said:

Has anyone else had a problem like this? What the hell is going on?

Is this stock DOOM? How big is the level, like number of linedefs and such? Did you check for errors?

Have you checked the level for integrity, you can do it with most of the level editors and some times if you have an unconnected sector or a nonattached vector you will have problems like this.

If there is no integrity problem, then I suggest you segment the large sector, by hand, to some managable parts.

It sounds kinda like a node problem... and this might sound a bit too stupid/obvious, but did you make sure to make those linedefs you are passing through impassable? and when you drew your sectors, did you remeber to draw the linedefs in a clockwise fashon?

frwl said:

It sounds kinda like a node problem... and this might sound a bit too stupid/obvious, but did you make sure to make those linedefs you are passing through impassable? and when you drew your sectors, did you remeber to draw the linedefs in a clockwise fashon?

Yeah, with this error you can randomly pass through impassible walls that gave no trouble before. Everything about the lines is okay, and though I did some some integrity checking, many of the special effects I use render error-checking useless.

I think I've gotten it to work though. I still don't know why it's happening.