Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melfice

can't we all just get along?

can't we all just get along?

No we can't get along, it's too hard to hold hands when your hand is a fist

quoth Kuberr:
No we can't get along, it's too hard to hold hands when your hand is a fist

Learn Aikido. You can turn an opponent's fist into almost anything, aside from baloon animals.

Ultraviolet said:

Learn Aikido. You can turn an opponent's fist into almost anything, aside from baloon animals.

Being a former practitioner of Aikijujitsu, I'd have to say that is only true if your attacker telegraphs his punches at you (and also if he is stupid or drunk). The truth is a real fight is much too random and unpredictable to apply a Steven Segal "Tenshi-Nage" with attitude. Even worse, should the opponent be previously aware of your knowledge Aikido, you had best learn how to deal with quick jabs, fakes, shin-kicks, and most importantly, correctly applied wrestling moves.

Steven Segal was once choked out by a wrestler and the rumor goes that he actually pissed his pants as a result. Oops, there goes his bullshit "I am the baddest human being on the planet" crap.

In a nutshell, the simple truth of self defense is you cannot rely on programmed reaction. The most effective self defense IMHO is a combination of strikes and ground control (rear naked chokes, etc.). You try to slap a "sankajo" lock on an experienced wrestler and you can expect to find yourself tied into a pretzle.

Heh, I wasn't starting a martial arts discussion. I was just fucking with words, actually. It just suddenly came to mind that a fist isn't actually hard to hold onto, and I said something out of context.

I'm not taking Aikido, but the style I'm learning is a big mixture of... stuff. Lots of influences. Kung Fu, Aikido, Ju Jitsu, Karate, Tai Chi... ehh... others. So you can see there's a good balance to it. Good form with good application. Ki and waza (wonder if I've got the right word there... we don't have a lot of focus on the linguistics, heh). We've got enough to show us a broad range of possibilities and combinations of applications of the emphases of those styles in broad situations. Our instructors have experience in a broad range of styles, and often we'll get new people with new ways of thinking brought to us by the army's tendency to move it's personnell from place to place (we're right by a military base). Of course, there's only so much you can teach small minds to do with good material.

Thank you for your statements, though. I might not have considered some of that. I know better, though, than to be IRL going "OMG I'M A MARTIAL ARTIST, WHO WANTS TO FITE? ;-) ;-) ;-)" (They do have emoticons and typos IRL, right?) That's like trying to hijack a plane by saying beforehand "I have a gun, don't call the police."

FirebrandX said:

The most effective self defense IMHO is a combination of strikes and ground control (rear naked chokes, etc.).

Nah, the most effective form of self defense is running like a bastard in the opposite direction. So I guess that means athletics is really the discipline to go for. :-)

Very true. I remember when I did some judo years ago, the sensei (2nd Dan and a big hulk of a guy) said that running away from a fight is always the best option (if it is available) no matter how good you are - they might have a knife, gun or whatever.

Having said that, I couldn't quite imagine that he himself would have followed that advice if someone had walked up to him in a pub, spilt his pint and called him a w*nker. I doubt that happened too often though.

Anyway, there's something very odd about this thread. Maybe something to do with that weird thread deletion bug.

Lol, wow, this is one of the more off subject threads I've seen in a longwhile over here. All I had to do was quote a line from Marilyn Manson's "Use Your Fist and Not Your Mouth."

In fact, it's so off topic, that it should be in Everything Else.

jetflock said:

I believe I was speaking hypethetically, but maybe I was mistaken. Besides, I would most definetly want to churn out graphics rather than do anything else for it, I can crap out DooM graphics faster than sprites went out of style.
Oh, and I have some screenshots of some projects nearing completion :
geocities.com/rasputin1980/doomforever.html
http://www.geocities.com/rasputin1980/dasteaparty.html
the first link is for doom forever-rehashed gun sprites
the second was my old apartment in chicago
referinfg to the strife shit.(sorry about posting outside the topic, i hate forums)

Hmmmm I like your pistol, shotgun, and double barrle sprites :).

Hmm...yup. I don't think I even bothered reading the beginning of the topic either, heh.

sometimes when i'm alone and awake at night i can hear all sorts of noises. our house is really old and creaky so it's kinda spooky, especially if i was doing drugs earlier. then again it's always that way. it'd be a damn shame if nothing came from something that was nothing in the first place. though something was. and all that could have been. when is the next annual nine inch nails thread? mancubi rock, don't they? i think they should get their own series on tv. and it should take the place of everything else on tv. except cnn, the weather channel, cowboy bebop and trigun.

wait, what was the original topic?

Watch, young Ichor, young Grazza, and learn the secret moderator-do technique of "Split Thread".

I thought this thread was such an incoherent mess that there was no logical way to split it, and was quite enjoying it as a fine example of what happens when a thread's wires get crossed.

OK, I'll watch the master at work...

And it was derailed so early that I thought the best way was to just move the whole thing. By the way, where did you put the other half of the thread?

I assumed the first post was meant to be in this thread. I wasn't sure who had actually started the "can't we all just get along?" thread - I thought Kuberr's post might have been first, and then jetflock's appeared before it by accident due to the forum bug I referred to above. Or maybe jetflock hit New Thread rather than Reply (most likely explanation).