Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

Rotating Sectors

I've played a few wads now where I've seen rotating sectors. I know this probably has something to do with poly objects, but how exactly does one make a rotating sector?

It may be the texture scrolling lines. Textures scroll sideways and the objects look like they are turning.

I know that effect already. This has the whole sector itself spinning in circles. It actually spins on the automap. I think this is a Zdoom only effect and I need to learn it soon.

I'm fairly certain that it is, indeed, a polyobject. If you really want to learn how to do rotating polyobjects, here is a good place to start.

Polys: The final frontier. I'm learning those last, or never. :)

However, polyobjs are not secotrs, but lines. I.e. they have to be solid, you can't make something like a rotating floor, or a moving train as in Duke3D.

Actually, you can make a sector's flat spin around, (no polyobjects necessary) but I don't know if you can make it actually move the player, it only looks like it's spinning.

polyobjects aren't overly hard to do, it's just a matter of flagging one of the lines a start polyobject line and then keeping them all properly numbered and moving in the right direction and then making them not bleed...okay maybe they are harder than I thought heh

I got it working now. I forgot that polyobjects actually move the sector. I actually had to use a script on this one because I wanted the pillar to spin continuously...

script 4 OPEN
{
PolyObj_RotateRight (1, 50, 0);
Delay (1);
Restart;
}

and that's all I had to do once I got it working.

actually, I believe there's a special that will rotate a polyobj infinitley...checking...

ah yes, the function you have, except make the angle 255, then you only need to put polyobj_rotateright(1, 50, 255); in an open or enter script and it will spin as soon as the map starts. also you can put it in a regular script that the player activates if you want it to be some machinery the player starts up or whatever etc etc