Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DOOMinator

Strife and Hacx?

What games are these? I've never heard of them! I saw Strife in WinTex and Hacx in the idgames archive...Anyone know a site or sumthin where i can learn more about these games...and maybe checkout some screenshots or a demo?

There's a link to the Strife shareware on this page. You may be able to buy the full game if you look around on the web.

The full version of Hacx is now available (legally!) for free. Go here.

I forget the official Hacx website, but it is a freeware game now, you can download it from there. Strife is an RPG-FPS akin to Deus Ex. It is hard to come by, but you can nab it from here for just under $10. You can get the Strife shareware here but trust me, it doesn't do the final game justice. The voice acting in the full version of Strife is just incredible, best in any game I've ever heard.

You can also play HACX in source ports, not really recommended but i never had any major problems, but then i never played it past level 5 XD

Yes, Hacx works fine with most ports - you just need hacx.wad and hacx.deh. But note that there is a bug that stops it working properly in PrBoom (this will be fixed in version 2.3).

i HIGHLY recommend the purchase of strife. it's fucking fantastic.

Better have DOS if you are gonna try and play Strife with sound though. Or I suppose you could try it with VDMSound and similar emulators.

pregnant with worms said:

...and they lost the source to it, too!

pregnant with worms said:

If you do buy it, chances are it will not be the final version. I bought it on CD a few years back and it was version 1.1. The final was 1.31. The patches are easily available on the idgames archive. They are worth installing because early versions of the game had a silly one-save-slot-per-game system and you can get stuck in certain areas. A bummer if you saved somewhere you were stuck. From 1.3 onwards, you can use multiple save slots.