Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
StarFyre

The guns I want in Doom 3

Hello all,

1) chainsaw
2) pancor jackhammer
3) m16 with undercarriage grenade launcher (arnold's gun in Predator or something similar to that)
4) minigun (Jesse Ventura's gun in Predator..and no, a chaingun is not a minigun so ID had that wrong, a chaingun is the type of gun where it has a very long barrel and a chain feed of bullets, a minigun is a gatling gun)
5) rocket launcher
6) plasma rifle
7) railgun
8) flame thrower
9 and 10) something new and cool

What y'all want?

Sanjay

"pancor jackhammer" ? you've been playing Fallout Tactics ?

similar to that)
4) minigun (Jesse Ventura's gun in Predator..and no, a chaingun is not a minigun so ID had that wrong, a chaingun is the type of gun where it has a very long barrel and a chain feed of bullets, a minigun is a gatling gun)

here's a man that knows his stuff !

and no, the railgun is out of the question...

Hello,

Yes I have played Fallout, Fallout 2, Tactics, and Max Payne, but a Jackhammer is a real gun. It's cool. Fuck these regular shotguns...i want a fully automatic assault shotgun.

:)

Sanjay

Gah. deadnail's gonna hang you by your nuts when he sees he has to post a new weapons article here again.

Gah. deadnail's gonna hang you by your nuts when he sees he has to post a new weapons article here again.

Rusty meat hook on left nad.. brb.. I'll ICQ the fucker and get him over here >=)

Okay I'm tired so let me sum it up easily.

id, you know every weapon you've made up until this point? IT'S WRONG, GODAMMIT.

Pump action shotguns are obsolete.

Single load shotguns are for ducks, not demons/aliens.

Combat pistols have few parts like Glocks and are select fire.

You do not carry a minigun by a lower pistol grip.

Rockets do not travel at 3 miles per hour.

Rockets do not explode with a radius of 5 feet.

Fuel cells let out steam. They have water as the byproduct.

A box of shells that could fit a microwave holds more than 20 shotgun shells, it could hold 300.

Bullets ricochet.

Shell casings do not fly out of the barrel after the round.

You hold your wrists straight when firing a powerful weapon.

Disintegrating bullet belts do eventually run out.

Most guns do not function underwater, at least not 'modern' designed ones. An MP5 will blow up on you if you do that.

Guns get dirty. Shooting something point blank will probably get blood on it.

Guns can be broken. Getting shot with a rocket would pretty much turn that gun into $0.50 worth of scrap metal.

Laser sights work both ways.

You can't throw the same grenades you use in a grenade launcher. However, I really do like the futuristic design of the Q2 grenades... if only they were more powerful than M-80's though.

Rockets can be shot.

A nuclear weapon destroys hundreds of miles of area, not two or three rooms.

Plasma burns hotter than the sun.

Laser beams aren't infinitely ranged and they have no travel time. They are more adapted for cutting something rather than 'blasting' it. Laser blaster is as much of an oxymoron as 'Microsoft Works'.

Recoil operated semi-automatic or fully-automatic weapons may not function is low to zero gravity. Gasoline operated weapons need to be refueled and cleaned.

Guns can fire more than 1 type of round. Buckshot sucks, let me use some rifled slugs for Chrissakes.

Heat seeking missles won't do very well in Hell.

Night vision will blind you if you look at a bright source of light.

Silencers are for stealth operations. You can't put a silencer on a revolver either. Fuck you Gibson, Porter can't put a pillow in front of it to silence it WHEN THE SOUND IS COMING FROM THE BACK OF THE GUN.

Uzi's are worthlessly unreliable and have pathetic accuracy. A M950 is a much better combat 9mm, if there ever was such a thing.

Super wonderful kill 'em all weapons negate the need for an Infantry.

You can't take fifteen bullets to the head and not have any side effects.

You can't be 1% alive and still run at full speed.

You can't be shot fifteen times and not be bleeding. What about armor, you ask? Well, why is there a big puff of blood when the bullet hit?

Sniper weapons suck. They would ruin the feeling of Doom. Go sit in a crate with your rifle in Counterstrike for fifteen minutes between shots if that's your bag.

Guns tend to release smoke when they're fired.

Bullets don't travel forever, especially when going through explosions or even simpler, water.

The Dopefish is the pathetic symbol of an age of gaming that we are all thankful to leave behind. It represents a time when consoles could produce much better games with much lower cost. Let it fucking go.

You still live for 10 seconds after being shot in the heart, you can still take 'em to hell with you.

There is no fatal way to kill someone by shooting bullets into their foot. There is no fatal secret organ in there no one is telling us about. Sure, they'll bleed to death if you blow it completely off, but that'll take a while. And shock will set in first too.

A bullet to the neck or spine could instantly paralyze you. The next time you sneak up on someone they'll hear your wheelchair. Rolling up on people like Christopher Reeves will not score you a frag.

People can die with their fingers clenched around the trigger.

Grenades fragment. Shrapnel is something that's greatly underused in these games.

I don't care how much armor you have down there a shot to the nuts is going to HURT.

I don't care how much armor you have a .44 to the chest is going to HURT.

It doesn't matter how much armor you have when we're talking .50 BMG, those things put holes in tanks like nerds get erections. Easy.

A .44 magnum will shoot through a truck engine. It does NOT take three of them to the head to hurt someone.

Helmets don't last forever.

Armor doesn't last forever, and a bullet proof vest doesn't cover 100% of your body. It doesn't work against explosions either.

People get tired.

No one aims perfect. Hey fuckers, pick up Max Payne and use that sniper rifle. See that? I'd like to see you hold one dead fucking perfect without a stand. Actually, I'd like to see Carmack fire a Glock 17C 9mm. It would throw him fifteen feet back and into a wall so hard he'd black out. =)

Realism should never circumvent the fun of the game. Everything I've mentioned can be worked into gameplay without harming it.

No deadnail. Implementing that would totally ruin the game. Who gives a shit about it?

You're right.
Bullet casings flying out of the barrel is id's "style".
Never reloading is id's "style". Guns never smoking is id's "style".
Ammo boxes the size of monitors is id's "style".
Buttons on the wall the size of a jaguar is id's "style".
Bleeding armor is id's "style". Is a spark so much to ask?
Keeping the gun a floating model the size of a toothpick and refusing to go to a true unified model for a better gaming experience is id's "style".
Not changing their gameplay a bit in the last eight years is id's "style".
Not bothering to make decent levels is id's "style".

Fashion follows form. Form shouldn't ruin gameplay. Just being fucking lazy and slapping everything together is inexcusable for my gaming dollar.

deadnail's right, Maonth. Such things can not be ignored, because that would be as stupid as creating "triple-barrelled shotguns" or "clown launchers".

In fact, send them a brief mail with that shit, every developer out there could use that.

"Pump action shotguns are obsolete."
...but remind us of Evil Dead, which is great.

"Single load shotguns are for ducks, not demons/aliens."
I agree. I mean, Quake 1's Shotgun. What the hell was that all about ?

"Rockets can be shot."
How the hell are you going to do that, when they're travelling at great speeds like you suggest ?

"A nuclear weapon destroys hundreds of miles of area, not two or three rooms."
A very large nuclear blast (we're talking a huge-ass hydrogen bomb) could AFFECT an area that large. But the actual blast radius won't ever go beyond 5 to 10 miles. I hate it when people say stuff like "an atomic bomb could destroy an entire country", or things like that. Loads of people survided the Hiroshima bombing (which, by the way, was exactly 56 years ago today). It's just a very powerful, large explosion - it's nothing mystical or supernatural.

"Plasma burns hotter than the sun."
So does an atomic blast. The sun's quite cold actually, astronomically speaking.

"Laser beams aren't infinitely ranged and they have no travel time."
Reminds me of an old Star Trek episode (stop booing, please) where Capt'n Kirk avoids a phaser beam by slowing down time and dodging it. Lasers travel with the speed of light (which, for you numbskulls, is just about the greatest speed something can reach without taking quantum mechanics into the equation), so if you can see it, you're toast. You never see the one with your name on it.

"Heat seeking missiles won't do very well in Hell."
Depends. Certain artists have depicted hell as a cold, barren wasteland instead of a fiery Inferno.

"Night vision will blind you if you look at a bright source of light."
Alien vs Predator's nightvision had this, and it's damn cool. And annoying.

"You can't be 1% alive and still run at full speed."
Technically, you can't be 1% alive either.

"Sniper weapons suck."
Fuck you and DIE.

"Guns tend to release smoke when they're fired."
They also tend to release fire when they're smoked. Kids, don't try this at home.

"Bullets don't travel forever, especially when going through explosions or even simpler, water."
Look at them bullets streaking trough the water in Saving Private Ryan. Way cool.

"The Dopefish is the pathetic symbol of an age of gaming that we are all thankful to leave behind."
The Dopefish in an in-joke from the days when Apogee released wave after wave of inspirationless platform games upon an unsuspecting audience. Hell, they even referred to Rise Of The Triad once as "better than Doom". They should be taken out and shot.

"You still live for 10 seconds after being shot in the heart, you can still take 'em to hell with you."
Here's something I've been pondering about: if your head is cut off, does your brain keep thinking for a few seconds after ? This calls for an experiment.

"There is no fatal way to kill someone by shooting bullets into their foot. There is no fatal secret organ in there no one is telling us about."
That's what They want you to think.

"A .44 magnum will shoot through a truck engine. It does NOT take three of them to the head to hurt someone."
REALLY ? No shit. This is only the 16th time I've heard you say this. Get some new material.

By the way, everyone, if you haven't bought Max Payne yet, do so now. NOW, YA GREASY LITTLE BUTTMUNCH.

Actually, your brain still operates shortly after your head is cut off. It takes blood ten seconds to cycle through the brain, so you're still conscious for that long. When people were executed with guillotines, the executioner would sometimes pick up their head right after it was severed and hold it up for the person to look at their body.

How.....uh.....interesting.

I'm not exactly itching for that to happen to me, but I think it would be cool to see in a movie or something. To see what the head's reaction would be.

Flathead, aboslutely correct! EXCEPT SNIPER WEAPONS.. not in Doom.. NO. I would rather see a nail gun witha big "NiN" slogan on it for fuck sake!

A nailgun? Nailguns are just for nailing monsters' asses and they wont even growl. A super nailgun could do it.

Flathead, aboslutely correct! EXCEPT SNIPER WEAPONS.. not in Doom.. NO. I would rather see a nail gun witha big "NiN" slogan on it for fuck sake!

A sniper rifle would ownz j00.. Why not?
Did they pass a law inthe future forbidding zooming.

"...but remind us of Evil Dead, which is great."
There shotgun in Evil Dead is a single shot 20 gauge. The shotgun in Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness is a side by side 12 gauge single load, you assclown.

"I agree. I mean, Quake 1's Shotgun. What the hell was that all about ?"
Quake's shotgun makes no fucking sense. I think it's an autoloader or something, I can't tell. It looks more like a dildo than a weapon.

"How the hell are you going to do that, when they're travelling at great speeds like you suggest ?"
A .22 hornet round travels at over 1600 feet per SECOND. Rockets do NOT travel that fast. Do some math.

"A very large nuclear blast (we're talking a huge-ass hydrogen bomb) could AFFECT an area that large. But the actual blast radius won't ever go beyond 5 to 10 miles. I hate it when people say stuff like "an atomic bomb could destroy an entire country", or things like that. Loads of people survided the Hiroshima bombing (which, by the way, was exactly 56 years ago today). It's just a very powerful, large explosion - it's nothing mystical or supernatural."
Then there's the shockwave that brings in radiation. By the way, there are children being born in Hiroshima today without brains and with three arms. 56 years ago today and our bomb is still fucking them up. I think there is almost something supernatural about that.

"So does an atomic blast. The sun's quite cold actually, astronomically speaking."
I wonder if my lighter does...?

"Reminds me of an old Star Trek episode (stop booing, please) where Capt'n Kirk avoids a phaser beam by slowing down time and dodging it. Lasers travel with the speed of light (which, for you numbskulls, is just about the greatest speed something can reach without taking quantum mechanics into the equation), so if you can see it, you're toast. You never see the one with your name on it."
You watch Star Trek? Sheesh.

"Depends. Certain artists have depicted hell as a cold, barren wasteland instead of a fiery Inferno."
Isn't it, theorhetically, the fifth circle of hell that's a giant blizzard?

"Alien vs Predator's nightvision had this, and it's damn cool. And annoying."
Don't have that game.

"Technically, you can't be 1% alive either."
Look at Christopher Reeve. ^_^

"Fuck you and DIE."
Lick my asshole.

"They also tend to release fire when they're smoked. Kids, don't try this at home."
Without the supervision of a drunk relative.

"Look at them bullets streaking trough the water in Saving Private Ryan. Way cool."
I know but at that time I was still creeped out by our men getting mauled in those 'murder holes'... yikes.

"The Dopefish in an in-joke from the days when Apogee released wave after wave of inspirationless platform games upon an unsuspecting audience. Hell, they even referred to Rise Of The Triad once as "better than Doom". They should be taken out and shot."
Apogee is already dead and the 'Programmers of Wonderous Ability' or whatever the fuck they called themselves are obsolete and they know it. 3D Realms has taken over where Apogee left off.... and you seem to like Max Payne. =)

"Here's something I've been pondering about : if your head is cut off, does your brain keep thinking for a few seconds after ? This calls for an experiment."
A scientist was executed by the French. He told his lab buddy he would try to blink as many times as possible after getting decapitated. He blinked 22 times.

"That's what They want you to think."
Oh my God, they crippled Kenny!

"REALLY ? No shit. This is only the 16th time I've heard you say this. Get some new material."
That's one thing that bothers me about Max Payne though, so it's still fresh in developers' minds as something that is just 'cute'. Fuck that.

deadnail's right, Maonth. Such things can not be ignored, because that would be as stupid as creating "clown launchers".

/me hides Millennium v0.62 beta.

Oh shit, everything is repeating again and again...

But deadnail, in which id game do shell casings fly out of the barrel? In id´s last game they fly out near the trigger. And that shotgun is also smoking. But no, you don´t want to see it.

And what if hell is a very cold place? A frustrating dark and frozen wasteland? And you told everyone they do not need heat seeking missiles? :D

God I really have to post this list again?Here we go!

Melee
=======
Ka bar combat knife
Knuckle dusters
double bladed chainsaw
Nightstick

Pistols
========
Revolver
Berretta 9mm
Colt .45
IMI Desert Eagle Mark XIX .50 Caliber Action Express (long name huh?)

Shotguns
=========
Wood trimed pump shotgun
Double barrel shotgun
Sawed off double barrel shotgun
Mossberg tactical shotgun

Automatics
===========
Machine Gun
Chaingun
Twin chaiguns
M-16a1

Explosives
===========
Mark fragmentation grenades
Home made molotov cocktail
40mm grenade launcher
LAW (light anti-tank weapon)

Energy weapons
===============
Hyper blaster
Plasma Rifle
Lightning gun
BFG 2704 (the one from the public beta of DOOM that shoots tons of energy balls)

Power weapons
==============
Flamethrower
Razor fang (shoots saw blades)
Railgun
PSG-1 Sniper Rifle

Misc 1
=======
Infantry Rifle
.357 magnum
BFG 9000
Twin Plasma launcher

Misc 2
=======
One bladed chainsaw
BFG 10,000 stroggos style
Gas grenade
Freezer Weapon

Misc 3
=======
BFG 10,000 Arena model
Gravity drive gun (makes the gravity on the enemy 10x the normal amount for 3 seconds.This can kill most weak monsters but hurt larger ones as well)
Hasta (as in hasta la vista) gun (launches mini nuke missiles)
The unmaker (the laser gun from DOOM 64) (finding the three ruby cards adds more beams)

If another person makes a post about guns in DOOM 3 I am gonna march into their house,slap their mom,kick their dad in the balls,DDT their brother,fuck their sister,then stab them in the neck.

All weapons are fine with me, as long as I got my M60.

But What I really want is the ability to set traps. (Like in HL) with laser triggered mines, explosives. Or dig holes with spikes, set out nets.

Anddduhhh.. I want to set out radio operated mobile spy cams!!!!!

And good man to man fights (CNTRL ALT 2F MB3 = knee him between the legs !!)

Tetzlaff: About Q3A. The machinegun casings look like they're coming right out of the fucking barrel to me. So do the shotgun shells. If they're really coming out of the trigger it doesn't look like it. I know the shotgun smokes, but why don't more of the guns smoke?

BBG: Doom takes place 700 years from now. Mossberg tactical shotguns and M60's will be ANTIQUES by then. That'd be like going into war with a bow and arrow today.

Don't suggest actual weapons suggest weapon designs and improve on them in your head.

Deadnail - in your rant against ID's environment not making sense you left out at least the following things (if you did mention them, sorry, you really think I have time to read all the crap that I read?):

Walking in lava or toxic waste or blood does not damage your armor. (any game)

You cannot carry what you are carrying. (any game)

Dead demons cannot travel up an elevator clinching to it with their toenails. (DOOM at least)

Imps cannot chew you if you are 7.5 kilometers above them. Neither can pink piggies. (so old)

People cannot hit you with a precise railgun hit from 5 miles away while you are flying in air (Quake 3 bots on Nightmare)

Arch-viles don't exist.

Phobos has never been visited by men.

To make the game even more realistic why shouldn't ID sell weapons and armament in the DOOM3 boxes instead of round pieces of plastic. Then we can see how fast rockets can fly in real life.

@ deadnail

Tetzlaff: About Q3A. The machinegun casings look like they're coming right out of the fucking barrel to me. So do the shotgun shells. If they're really coming out of the trigger it doesn't look like it. I know the shotgun smokes, but why don't more of the guns smoke?

Ok, I will take a screenshot with my modelview config which will prove that the casings do not fly out straight from the barrels... come on, the iD guys aren´t that stupid. I will load it up to my site and open a thread about it.

And isn´t it enough that the shotgun smokes? For the Rocketlauncher there is plenty of smoke caused by the rockets itself, the energy weapons like Plasma gun and Lightning gun mustn´t smoke (or do they have to?), and the machinegun..ok, but that isn´t sooo important. It looks fine with all the weapons IMO.
Well, it should of course look even better in Doom3 and the guns shouldn´t have that Q3 typical fantasy-scifi design, but also no boring pseudo-realistic design, where all guns look like a small black piece of a Heckler&Koch clone.

So you want us to use stinking phaser-like weapons the whole game? I hope not.

Of course not, that would drive me insane. But putting a pump action shotgun in Doom 3 would be exactly the same as making a Gulf War movie and arming the soldiers with muskets. It's rediculous.

Walking in lava or toxic waste or blood does not damage your armor.

It should. Armor should be more than just ARMOR. There should be impact armor (punches, bulltes), heat armor (fireballs, explosions) and toxic armor (radiation, poison, maybe some weapon). There could be one or two added types of armor (to the existing ones in Doom) and each one would add just a bit to each scale. This worked flawlessly in Blood and it would barely complicate gameplay. If it's true that id is trying to make a solid SP experience then this would be a good thing to have.

You cannot carry what you are carrying.

You can't change carrying capacity without changing the feel of the game. I won't risk that. Carry what you want.

Dead demons cannot travel up an elevator clinching to it with their toenails.

Um, yeah. Dead models should deform... drape over obstacles, roll down staircases, all the fun stuff.

Imps cannot chew you if you are 7.5 kilometers above them. Neither can pink piggies.

I expect this to be taken care of as much as I expect some areas existing above each other. =)

People cannot hit you with a precise railgun hit from 5 miles away while you are flying in air.

The Q3 bots are chatty JOKES. If you want a REAL bot that plays like a human would play UT. They won't trace you through walls or make impossible shots, but FUCK they can be challenging.

Arch-viles don't exist.

It's a game, of course they can. NOTHING in Doom would exist. No zombies or demons of any sort. Don't be a smartass. =)

Phobos has never been visited by men.

See above. Also think about the fact that Doom takes place over 700 years from now, jerkweed.

To make the game even more realistic why shouldn't ID sell weapons and armament in the DOOM3 boxes instead of round pieces of plastic. Then we can see how fast rockets can fly in real life.

I dunno... maybe because it's illegal, shipping would cost a fortune, and they'd never make a profit selling $7000 forward area to air rocket devices at $50 a box. Oh yeah, and if they let their fans kill each other who will buy Quest?

Is really asking for one bit of extra !GRAPHICAL REALISM! justification for such a cynical remark? I'm certainly not telling id how to make the game or to make it so realistic you have to piss every two hours of playing or your character can't run as fast. I just want the game where you run around shooting things to look like that.

Ok, I will take a screenshot with my modelview config which will prove that the casings do not fly out straight from the barrels... come on, the iD guys aren´t that stupid. I will load it up to my site and open a thread about it.

I played around with it before too, and the third person viewpoint as well. The shotgun shells look like they're flying right out of the trigger but there's STILL no reloading animation of any sort in there. The bullet casings, however, at least when firing, look like they're coming right out of the fucking barrel.

If they can make it look THAT good in Resident Evil why does it look THIS bad in Q3A? Have you seen Max Payne? If id put forth 1/10th of the effort they put into making the guns look good I'll be very fucking impressed.

For the Rocketlauncher there is plenty of smoke caused by the rockets itself,

Agreed. I wasn't bitching about the rockets because I actually like those, they just travel too slow for their size. Now, if the rockets were actually just SMALLER it would fix the speed AND the explosion radius size problem in one quick flash. Plus that would explain how you could carry so many (but lets not argue carrying again, it b0rks gameplay).

the energy weapons like Plasma gun and Lightning gun mustn´t smoke (or do they have to?),

We already have cells. Steam is the byproduct. There should be ports on the side of the gun that let out gusts of steam or something, I don't expect electrical weapons to smoke unless something's wrong with it. =P

No weapon that utilizes any sort of fuel will ever function 100% clean, there will be some byproduct of that fuel.

Well, it should of course look even better in Doom3 and the guns shouldn´t have that Q3 typical fantasy-scifi design, but also no boring pseudo-realistic design, where all guns look like a small black piece of a Heckler&Koch clone.

I have no problem with cool looking ultra-fantasy guns so long as they make some sort of sense. The guns in Quake were just fucking rediculous. Quake 2 was MUCH MUCH better. Quake 3 is just kind of a fashion show.

They can make the same three foot long two foot tall gigantor guns if they want to. It fits their Saturday-morning cartoon style that they want to put into everything else.

I'm not asking for all the guns to be made out of black plastic, be small, and function 100% realistically.

I just want some BASIC FUCKING EFFORT put into detailing them. If a PSX game can get shell ejection right FIVE YEARS AGO there's no reason why id can't.

Blood 2 had great weapon smoke. Simple particles will do.

I'm not trying to fuck with the gameplay AT ALL. But Jesus, if they're trying to make this realistic looking super detailed game you'd think they get some basic details right.

Well the thing with the steam from the fuel cells could actually look cool on the Doom3 Plasmagun. The ASMD in Unreal had that too, or did they thought of something different, gas or something?

I think in Q3A they had to decide which detail was worth the effort and which not. Look at the great player animations for example. The models move very smooth, when they jump and touch the floor again they slide a moment. It took some time untill I discovered details like that, but it´s damn cool, looks very natural. Compared to this the Unreal Tournament models look like crappy marionettes, really. But the only thing you pay attention seems to be a reload animation... some models even have a relod gesture when firing the shotgun (Major for example), and every model has it´s very own characteristic movements. This is very well made and I know no other game which can match it.

Max Payne... have to get it. You already played it?