Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shot803

Locking up

Hi,

My machine is locking up on the 3rd level. After you retrieve the blue health supercharge. The next thing you do is cross the new bridge in the main area. Once in that area I cannot get past the Health before my machine locks up, EVERY TIME!!!! Anybody have a clue what is gointg on I would appreciate it.

The Shot

hmm, doom95 doesn't fuck up there on my 98 machine.

Try reinstalling, or simply copying the DOOM2.WAD from the CDROM.
Another idea is adding "-emulate" to your Doom95's shortcut (Properties/Shortcut/Target).

I've heard that Doom95 doesn't like XP (what a coincidence, neither do I...). Downloading a port may well fix your problem though.

It seems likely the wad has somehow been affected. Do subsequent levels work? Try typing idclev14 if you haven't been passed there already.

Unreal used to do this to me in certain places in particular maps, but I'm suspicious of doom95.exe here. Try using zdoom.

Hello, gu-u-u-ys? Are you worshipping Zdoom or what??? Have you forgot about PrBoom, or Legacy, or that brilliant EDGE (which is, i hope, NOT DEAD:) ) IMHO Zdoom's gameplay doesn't resembles original Doom's one at all! Also, I can't play it because of all messed up graphics (I have GeForce2 MX400 from ASUS with NVIDIA drivers, when I had ASUS drivers it ran ok but they were old and slow, so I switched)

Also(second time), EDGE is an excellent port! And DDF/RTS is much much much better than dehacked and acs and whatever and fragglescript.

Also(third time:)) for the newbies i would recommend Legacy or Boom(PrBoom) because they are easy to use and fast/powerful.

P.S. Zdoom is a real ass by network (modem). Legacy is much easier and faster.

This isn't a port war, but I'm glad you showed up and pointed out that there are indeed other ports than Zdoom. :)

EDIT: HEY! Pritch was the only one who suggested Zdoom! You tricked me!

BackFromTheDead said:

Randy Heit (creator of ZDoom) is working on making ZDoom's network code a whole heckuva lot better with the release of 48.cab.

BackFromTheDead said:

IMHO Zdoom's gameplay doesn't resembles original Doom's one at all!

BackFromTheDead said:

or that brilliant EDGE

Uh, heh. ZDoom has compatibility options to make it more like the original game. And if you play with it just a bit it can be just like Doom.exe

EDGE smacks up the nodes and rebuilds things and changes a lot, so I can't see why you'd thing EDGE is more "oldschool" than ZDoom is. =P

Nanami said:

Uh, heh. ZDoom has compatibility options to make it more like the original game. And if you play with it just a bit it can be just like Doom.exe

Right. So much like DOOM.EXE, Randy had to leave DOOM demo support out.

EDGE smacks up the nodes and rebuilds things and changes a lot, so I can't see why you'd thing EDGE is more "oldschool" than ZDoom is. =P

If that's correct, I wouldn't touch EDGE with a six-foot long pole.

Never_Again said:

Right. So much like DOOM.EXE, Randy had to leave DOOM demo support out.

ZDoom does in fact break vanilla demos. But so do 90% of other ports (Eternity doesn't). And EDGE is so far gone from normal Doom it has no hope whatsoever of ever even considering playing back a demo.

Nanami said:

ZDoom does in fact break vanilla demos. But so do 90% of other ports (Eternity doesn't). And EDGE is so far gone from normal Doom it has no hope whatsoever of ever even considering playing back a demo.

Prboom also can use the original doom demos, it has great support for demos with alot of features for it. :)

Yes that's true. When features are added, sometimes things have to be sacrificed. ZDoom has an incredible amount of features, and the vanilla demos had to be broken because of it. It's pretty interesting that Quasar's added so much and demos still playback.

I do think, however, that EDGE went too far. =P

Nanami said:

It's pretty interesting that Quasar's added so much and demos still playback.

That's because Eternity just added some stuff but didn't really change the way things work (like ZDoom did). It's still very close to MBF, not as close as PrBoom but close enough so demos still work. Honestly demos are one of the least important things I can think of. Good editing features are much more important IMHO.

I do think, however, that EDGE went too far. =P

I have to agree with that. Large portions of the source aren't even recognizable anymore. Every time I look through the different ports to see how certain things have been changed I either don't find it in EDGE (because everything has been renamed, rewritten or deleted) or it is so different that it is no help whatsoever. I honestly believe that the features of all the other major ports (Doomsday, Legacy and ZDoom) could be combined into some 'super-port' but EDGE is totally out.

BackFromTheDead said:

Hello, gu-u-u-ys? Are you worshipping Zdoom or what??? Have you forgot about PrBoom, or Legacy, or that brilliant EDGE (which is, i hope, NOT DEAD:) ) IMHO Zdoom's gameplay doesn't resembles original Doom's one at all! Also, I can't play it because of all messed up graphics (I have GeForce2 MX400 from ASUS with NVIDIA drivers, when I had ASUS drivers it ran ok but they were old and slow, so I switched)

Also(second time), EDGE is an excellent port! And DDF/RTS is much much much better than dehacked and acs and whatever and fragglescript.

Also(third time:)) for the newbies i would recommend Legacy or Boom(PrBoom) because they are easy to use and fast/powerful.

Simple, pure, unfettered and unadulterated bullshit.

Next time, RTFM.

Grogglogobofink said:

i agree with the P.S. part.

However, that's all about to change.

Grogglogobofink said:

i agree with the P.S. part.

The -dup command really improved our internet performance with 42.cab imo. Before that it would get slow when a 3rd person joined, but afterwards was seemless.

Heh, and I promised myself I wouldn't start on the other ports' multiplayer shortcomings.

pritch said:

Simple, pure, unfettered and unadulterated bullshit.

Even worse, it is all true :) Better believe me, i am a doomer since i was 4 years old.

Your choice of port (if any) should be guided by your preferences and priorities. No amount of discussion is going to arrive at any concensus on which is "best" overall.

Grazza said:

Your choice of port (if any) should be guided by your preferences and priorities. No amount of discussion is going to arrive at any concensus on which is "best" overall.

You're absolutely right, fella. It's bad that not everybody can follow this simple rule.