Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
player

Is there still alot of stuff we don't know about doom

such as *.exe editing or gfx editing or anything that still remains a mystery to everyone to this date ?

Graphics editing? Heh, you're a bit behind the times. The simple answer to your question is no. People are even going beyond editing the .exe now and adding new stuff like acs scripting in sourceports. Stuff like this brings cherished modern fps gameplay cues to classic Doom. And it is good.

The source is freely available and has been fully dissected, inspected and improved by a number of people. The specs are well known. The history of the game from initial concepts, through design sketches, to pre release alpha's are available. Every resource in the WADs has been inspected. Every map examined with a fine toothed comb. Glitches, bugs and odd behaviours are known, and many modified/cured/made optional in source ports. There are tools to inspect, edit, change and replace every aspect of the game.

In short, there can't be much left to find out.

There are probably some more random oddities waiting to be discovered, given that every now and then new ones are still being noticed.

I've sometimes pondered the mysteries of sidedef number 631 on map E3M4.

Ichor said:

I've sometimes pondered the mysteries of sidedef number 631 on map E3M4.

Ahhhhh yes, good old single sided line 501, length 128 with its SP_HOT1 texture on side def 631. I've often wondered whether it was just co-incindence that it was part of the trap room beside that "how do you get the door open" puzzle. More than just a chance happening methinks. :-)

What about the General Demon? Is there any pic, or something about him?

hmm... well i heard of a wad that there were all these shotgunners in this level but one of them a person killed had a key on him,

i wasn't sure if the author used dehacked or anything,

if he didn't he prolly made a script and merged it in wintex for that certain baddie to drop the key

That was mke XD, the wad was called station3.wad (i think), and there was a shothunner in a crate room that cropped a yellow keycard, except the wad actually does have a dehacked patch, so something was probably done in that (dunno how he made it affect only that one guy though)

deathbringer said:

That was mke XD, the wad was called station3.wad (i think), and there was a shothunner in a crate room that cropped a yellow keycard, except the wad actually does have a dehacked patch, so something was probably done in that (dunno how he made it affect only that one guy though)

You mean this wad? http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10953

The ammo clip has been hacked to behave like a yellow key card.

The zombieman has been hacked to be just like a shotgun guy. Of course, when he dies, he now drops a yellow keycard. Most of the shotgun guys in the levels will just be regular ones. The one time you need a shotgunner to drop a keycard, you use a hacked zombieman instead.

Edit: after trying the WAD, the Zombieman only looks like a shotgunner, but I think he still has the zombieman attack. Anyway, thanks to you mentioning it, I rediscovered one of my favourite WADs. :-)

I've just recently discovered this nifty lighting effect. However, it's a bit quirky, dependent on some of the strangest factors and, requires a lot of tedious trial and error testing. I wanted to use it in my latest Heretic map. However, it just wouldn't work properly no matter what I did (if a Disciple of D'Sparil happens to drop a Tome of Power, it scrambles the effect).

I just remembered something, there was this wad on one of my old doom addon cds where it was in an arena and if one picked up a invulnerability sphere the screen would turn blue instead of white, i dunno how it was done

It looks like they changed the colormap. There's a program that can easily do that, but I forgot what it was. It came with a small map called dusty.wad, which changed the normal background into a dirty, brownish fog.

Ichor said:

I've just recently discovered this nifty lighting effect.

Cool indeed...

However, it just wouldn't work properly no matter what I did (if a Disciple of D'Sparil happens to drop a Tome of Power, it scrambles the effect).

Weird.

There are people, to this day (sometimes ON THIS FORUM) who STILL don't know that you are ment to "die" at the end of e1m8.

Ct_red_pants said:

There are people, to this day (sometimes ON THIS FORUM) who STILL don't know that you are ment to "die" at the end of e1m8.

Or have no idea when DOOM was released, even. That's pretty sad.

Ct_red_pants said:

Well, not to be picky.... Ah hell, let's be picky :-)

You don't actually die at the end of E1M8, you get damaged until you have less than 10% health. At that point the level ends. I've always taken this to mean that you step into the huge demon teleporter and get transported straight into a battle on Deimos. Remember this was the shareware episode and the ending is there to tempt you to buy the full game. You're not supposed to be dead, you're just on to the next fight. The E1M8 ending is saying, OK, so you got this far, but there are bigger and better battles to go - now buy the game dammit.

As an aside, I have used the E1M8 sector special to simulate being ambushed. You teleport into an area that you have been told is safe only to find a bunch of enemies waiting for you. The enemies and sector special take you down to less than 10% health before moving on to the next level (you wake up in a cell in my mod). Sometimes I have woken up in the cell with very low health, but the E1M8 setor type has never actually killed me.

Speedrunners have been known to suicide with a rocket in such sectors to speed up the process of getting health below 10%.

In cases where it isn't at the end of an episode, this also has the benefit of starting the next level with 100% health, albeit with just the pistol.

Well, how about the mystery of as to why I've had to purchase so many copies of Doom 2 over the years? I mean, I originally had the big box with the 5 floppy disks, and then I lost those (probably would have corrupted eventually, anyways, so no big loss) and then I must have purchased Doom 2 in the little jewel case two or three times, and I've lost my CD every time (well, one time it was thanks to an incident involving a book case falling over and the CD, which was on top, being smashed into little pieces, but whatever). Now, I have the collector's edition, but it's only a matter of time before it, too, disappears (glimpses nervously at CD).

geekmarine said:

Well, how about the mystery of as to why I've had to purchase so many copies of Doom 2 over the years? I mean, I originally had the big box with the 5 floppy disks, and then I lost those (probably would have corrupted eventually, anyways, so no big loss) and then I must have purchased Doom 2 in the little jewel case two or three times, and I've lost my CD every time (well, one time it was thanks to an incident involving a book case falling over and the CD, which was on top, being smashed into little pieces, but whatever). Now, I have the collector's edition, but it's only a matter of time before it, too, disappears (glimpses nervously at CD).

Sounds like my copy(ies) of the Dark Side Of The Moon =).

Enjay said:

Well, not to be picky.... Ah hell, let's be picky :-)

You don't actually die at the end of E1M8, you get damaged until you have less than 10% health. At that point the level ends. I've always taken this to mean that you step into the huge demon teleporter and get transported straight into a battle on Deimos. Remember this was the shareware episode and the ending is there to tempt you to buy the full game. You're not supposed to be dead, you're just on to the next fight. The E1M8 ending is saying, OK, so you got this far, but there are bigger and better battles to go - now buy the game dammit.

As an aside, I have used the E1M8 sector special to simulate being ambushed. You teleport into an area that you have been told is safe only to find a bunch of enemies waiting for you. The enemies and sector special take you down to less than 10% health before moving on to the next level (you wake up in a cell in my mod). Sometimes I have woken up in the cell with very low health, but the E1M8 setor type has never actually killed me.

Yet if you use the invulnverability cheat and then clip out of the room you can actually leave the compound a little ways. I still think its funny that your on the same level, and not the new moon anyways.