Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Fava Beans

I'd really like to play this one again, but for the life of me I can't remember the zip name. I looked on Doomsearch and Google'd for it but came up with nothing. Help?

Hey thanks Ichor. One question: why 01fava.zip, why not fava.zip? o_O

Back in the BBS days many submitters started their filenames with 0's and 1's in order to have their file show up at the start of the list.

The FTP's with their alphabetical categories and now the search engines have made this practice totally redundant, if not even counterproductive.

Update: Well I managed to shotgun blast my way through Fava Beans. It made just me as nostalgic as it did when I first played it (around 2000 or 2001), and yes, that means I like it. There were a couple things that were noticeable though. For one thing I don't like some of the texture/flat choices, kinda hard on the eyes. Then too, what's the deal with gothic textures (marble and demonic faces mainly) on E1M3? It's kind of goofy. The author would have done well to leave those out; they are for Es 2,3, and 4, not E1 IMO. but no matter. It's still quite well done, especially when you consider the year it was made.
All in all: 8 out of 10

01 is also the episode number. There were also some maps with filenames starting 11, on the basis of them being E1M1.

Can't believe no one mentioned Return to Phobos (by Michael Kelsey, RETURN01.ZIP). Well, someone did actually, with a URL where it was lost in a list =), but c'mon guys - a classic like that merits a honorary mention!

I've played Return to Phobos, and IMHO, it's mediocre at best. Just kind of meh.

Worse than Fava Beans? <g>
Sure, its not as colorful but the design and gameplay are there. And don't forget that it was one of the very first full-episode WADs ...

If you mean the gameplay, try GM-style (-fast). Adding that switch can often radically change a level and is a big plus with WADs from the early days. Oh yeah, and it a blast on Nightmare!, right Grazza? <wink>

actually they're a pea, but called a bean. apparently they're also known to some as broad beans, Windsor beans, horse beans, and pigeon beans. i think most often they're just mashed and used in italian sauces and such.

Never_Again said:

Oh yeah, and it a blast on Nightmare!, right Grazza? <wink>

Thanks for reminding me; it's about time I sent that one to Opulent, especially since, on watching it again, I don't think it's quite as shoddy as I did at the time. ;)

I'd still like to see you do a really quick NM on Return01 E1M8 though, and thus complete your demopack.

Grazza said:
Thanks for reminding me; it's about time I sent that one to Opulent, especially since, on watching it again, I don't think it's quite as shoddy as I did at the time. ;)

I told you it was fine demo indeed. Heck, I cannot think of a way to find faults with a NM demo that gets you to the tally (or end-of-episode) screen.

I'd still like to see you do a really quick NM on Return01 E1M8 though, and thus complete your demopack.

Concerning that level, I'm experiencing a curious phenomenon; something akin to the writer's block =).
But I'll be back at it, for sure. Just get the demo out there already, so that I have something to improve upon, heheh.