Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
brushfire

Getting restarted with my old friend Doom?

I bought a new computer with XP Home about a year and a half ago and left Doom behind. Now I'm nostalgic for it and hungry to play it again for old times sake! What are the steps I need to get back up and running? I assume it's something like this:

1. Buy Doom I and II cheap (where?).
2. Download and apply official patches (they still available at id?)
3. Install a port compatible with XP Home. Will Zdoom be OK? I'm familiar with that source port.

Edit: OK, just found the FAQ and found answers for 2 and 3. But the link for buying Doom I/II no longer works. So I guess that's all I need. Thanks!

Doom Collector's Edition is the best buy. A web search should find it, though I note that amazon.com is not reporting it as available.

You can get the Doom games from the id website, but that's only recommended if you need them in a great hurry and don't mind paying quite a lot for them.

Also, I have a theory that when Doom III comes out there will be some id Anthology Mark II that will come out at the same time, which will include Doom, to further market it.

If and when you get a hold of Doom and DoomII, you'll want to head over here and download the latest ZDoom.
Lots of levels for both games can be had here.
Just do some searching around there, I'm sure you'll find something to keep you busily Dooming when Doom and Doom2 have gotten you bored :)

or if you want to run doom with good graphics and great singleplayer feeling then go grab jdoom at; doomsdayhq.com
remember there are new textures for jdoom and new models etc.
and there are coming updates quite often

Oh, and if you ever happen to get bored of playing through Doom and Doom2, you can always head over here and go download some Doom and Doom2 demos. 90% of the demos there are definitely worth watching :)