Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beowolfganz

bot questions ?

I'm sure this is a questions asked before, but I'll ask again since I don't know the answer. Any one know of a way to get bots in Doom or Doom2? Also..anyone know why custom levels don't seem to work in Lan games when I use Doom95? Any help is much appreciated.

dunno about the Pwads, make sure that both players have them etc, if not, try running doom95 with the command -file

doom95 -file blah.wad

that should work for u if the ingame menu doesn't.

beowolfganz said:

Also..anyone know why custom levels don't seem to work in Lan games when I use Doom95? Any help is much appreciated.

The Doom95 Doom2.wad is not the same as the DOS version of Doom2 so it will give you inconsistancy errors I think.

Fodders: actually, I used to run DooM95 with custum wads, and play demos from V1.9 with it :) but, I mighta used the V1.9 wad not sure, the PWads should still work, always did for me.

ok...let me give more info...I have 5 wad files in my doom95 directory...doom1 Shareware, Doom1 Registered (and patched to full ultimate Doom...DOS version), Doom2 (patched to 1.9) DOS version, and the Plutonia and TnT wads from Final Doom...none work...I will try your suggestion though. mostly interested in doom bots because I have a guy I play with who needs practice and my experience with practicing on bots in quake (I have a good patch for that) before DM games online convinced me that bots can help one inprove their dm skillz through practicing. certainly helped me out.

You could check the path, make sure it does not have a space in it c:\program files\doom2 for eg.That is sometimes a problem.

fodders said:

The Doom95 Doom2.wad is not the same as the DOS version of Doom2 so it will give you inconsistancy errors I think.

*buzzer*
Yes, it's different... but that's not beowulf's problem. My doom2.wad comes from Doom95 as well, but I can use it just fine on Doom Connector. Maybe it's different for LAN games, but I don't see why LAN's would be pickier. *shrug*

On Doom connector you will probably be playing with people you play often or have succeeded in playing and they will probably be using Doom95 too :P *OR* playing on a map07, map07 is fine with Doom95

Point well taken.....also looking into firewall issues (xp has it's own and it can be pesky till you turn it off be it for lan or internet gaming...might be part of problem as well)...as for bots which was my original query....can't find them in doom legacy at all....and can't try them in zdoom till I start a network game therein...maybe if I use doom95 with zdoom rather than Ultimate Doom for DOS......

fodders said:

On Doom connector you will probably be playing with people you play often or have succeeded in playing and they will probably be using Doom95 too :P *OR* playing on a map07, map07 is fine with Doom95

*blink* But DC doesn't support Doom95. Doesn't matter to me, since I test my wads in ZDoom now. Too bad ZDoom lags like hell on DC. Legacy's better I suppose... but then again, I lag myself. "I lag, therefore I suck," I end up saying to my DM opponents. *Rolls eyes*

Oh, but beowulf... about your other question. I don't think Doom95 supports bots at all. You'd need a port... of course I could be wrong (I am quite frequently... it's just plain weird).

got the bots in zdoom to work....they are not bad as practice targets but I don't think they can hold their own in a real dm...also got it to work with a custom level too....I always did like zdoom...thanks for the help guys

For Legacy grab the 1.41 RC version, then drop the console and type "bind b addbot". Then it'll add a bot everytime you hit "b".

beowolfganz said:

got the bots in zdoom to work....they are not bad as practice targets but I don't think they can hold their own in a real dm...also got it to work with a custom level too....I always did like zdoom...thanks for the help guys

ZDoom bots do suck in DM. Then again they suck worse in co-op.

The Cajun bots aren't quite so bad for DM if you find a map where they don't stand in place, trying to get a weapon which is out of reach. Try them in tntblood map02, they make pretty good target practice there and can occasionally frag you if you play with several of them. Three bots feels about right in that map for fast paced free-for-all.

I'd try them in TnT if my copy was a DOS copy or if ZDoom worked with Doom95 but since (to my knowledge anyway) neither scenario is true (especially since when I bought Final Doom it was a windows version) I can't try it on that map....but I can use the bots on other custom pwads....something I have plenty of...and as for for a quote by one of the folks who posted a reply to my thread "I lag therefore I suck" (or something like that) I feel your pain bro....was using an old 486sx when i started dooming...I lagged when I played single player and lagged even worse in multi-player...I was the ultimate sitting duck!!!!

beowolfganz said:

I'd try them in TnT if my copy was a DOS copy or if ZDoom worked with Doom95 ....

There's some confusion here. Zdoom is a stand-alone executable, it is not intended to "work with" any other executable such as Doom95, it replaces Doom95. If you get 47.cab from zdoom.notgod.com/lars, that's all you need beside doom2.wad and tntblood.wad. The 47.cab has zdoom.exe, zdoom.wad and fmod.dll, that's it. For some bot fun, try zdoom -file tntblood.wad -warp 2 -deathmatch -skill 4 and after the game starts, drop the console (the ~ key) and type addbot, hit enter, a bot should join. Add several. Kill them. :)

For zdoom bots to work, you need a zcajun folder inside of your zdoom folder. The zcajun folder contains the file bots.cfg. If you don't have that file, just copy the below and paste it into a text file, save as bots.cfg.

{
name Hugne
aiming 67
perfection 50
reaction 70
isp 50
color "40 cf 00"
skin base
weaponpref 012385687
}

{
name Josef
aiming 34
perfection 75
reaction 15
isp 90
color "b0 b0 b0"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Sven
aiming 80
perfection 67
reaction 72
isp 87
color "50 50 60"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Emmily
aiming 15
perfection 50
reaction 50
isp 50
color "8f 00 00"
skin base
weaponpref 082345678
}

{
name Mats
aiming 5
perfection 13
reaction 2
isp 100
color "ff ff ff"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Joel
aiming 45
perfection 30
reaction 70
isp 60
color "ff af 3f"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name James
aiming 56
perfection 34
reaction 78
isp 50
color "bf 00 00"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Gustav
aiming 25
perfection 55
reaction 32
isp 70
color "00 00 ff"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Flare
aiming 61
perfection 50
reaction 23
isp 32
color "00 00 7f"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Rambo
aiming 90
perfection 85
reaction 1
isp 3
color "ff ff 00"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Ingo
aiming 12
perfection 35
reaction 56
isp 37
color "40 cf 00"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Kassy
aiming 1
perfection 35
reaction 1
isp 100
color "b0 b0 b0"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Derrick
aiming 67
perfection 15
reaction 76
isp 37
color "50 50 60"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name Hellkeeper
aiming 52
perfection 35
reaction 50
isp 37
color "8f 00 00"
skin base
weaponpref 012345678
}

{
name V234
aiming 72
perfection 35
reaction 46
isp 77
color "ff ff ff"
skin base
weaponpref 012345876
}

{
name killern
aiming 100
perfection 100
reaction 100
isp 23
color "ff ff ff"
skin base
weaponpref 012385787
}

{
name Biffbot
aiming 100
perfection 100
reaction 100
isp 1
color "ff ff ff"
skin base
weaponpref 012385787
}

Whoa. I used to have those exact same bots. What determines their names and attributes when bots.cfg is created?

You are correct...there was a misunderstanding...I misunderstood something and you cleared it up.....as for the tnt thing....wasn't aware of another tnt wad besides the one in final doom....guess I'll have to pay better attention to the wads I look at....never said I needed to use other wads, just that I have them (some of which were speciffically built for use in DMs). I also noticed that the bots.cfg file is set up such that one could, in theory, tweek the bots a little by adjusting the specified values...including the name of the bot.

beowolfganz said:

I also noticed that the bots.cfg file is set up such that one could, in theory, tweek the bots a little by adjusting the specified values...including the name of the bot.

That's right! I made the last bot in the list as an experiment, trying to get one to play like me. Perfection in aiming, reflexes, movement control, and very little instinct for self-preservation. Hehee. :) If you want to add a specific bot, just use his name, such as "addbot Killern". For convenience, I have my "B" key bound to "addbot" so if I want some bots, I just hit that key a few times.

Nomad, that file is as-received with zdoom. It was supplied with zdoom 1.22. Either Randy or the Cajun bot guy wrote it. Copy and paste it, delete the Biffbot and you will have the original.

I see... so when I only downloaded 47.cab to my new HD, it didn't come with any...

But how does that explain what I wrote in "One more stupid question," that somehow, a bots.cfg created itself with several names I know from here?

netnomad312 said:

But how does that explain what I wrote in "One more stupid question," that somehow, a bots.cfg created itself with several names I know from here?

Well, it does not explain. Zdoom does not write any bots.cfg and does not make any folders, including zcajun. Those would have been created when you unzipped some file and used "keep folder names" option. If you did not create them manually, they'd have to be created by an unzip operation I think. The bot names are a clue...some names of current doom players. That bots.cfg and zcajun folder must have been bundled with some other zipped file you got, maybe a wad? Nothing else makes sense.

It's about the only thing that's possible. You as the master of your computer have the best chance of guessing what happened. I can only assure you that zdoom won't make folders or write bots.cfg files.

You don't have file sharing enabled on your hard drive, do you?

No, not at all. But besides single wads, the only things I've downloaded are Legacy, ZDoomGL, and ZDaemon. Perhaps there was a bots.cfg in ZDaemon or ZDoomGL?

Yes, I think you're onto something. My zdaemon folder has a zcajun subfolder and maybe zdoomgl comes with it too. I'll bet it was zdaemon because nightfart would have done something like that, putting his friends' names in the bots.cfg file. I probably would have too. :)

Edit: Yep, you guessed it. I just looked at my zdaemon\zcajun folder, in bots.cfg. There they are, the altered bot names. Maybe some characteristics are altered too, did not check. So, I know what else you ran into, or should have. Zdaemon has a different version of fmod.dll than the newer zdoom, they're not compatible. Zdaemon used zdoom 2.0 beta 33. Separate folders are the answer for now.

I never really liked ZDaemon. I use ZDoom for SP and Legacy for multiplayer on Doom Connector. That's all I need.

Hey, I know what'd be good: bots that can play Dogtag. Do any exist?

Look. ZDoomm 1.22 included the ZCajun folder and the bots.cfg. This is wherre the folder came from. Anyway, if anyone knows if better Hexen cajunbot support is being worked on for ZDoom, I'd love to know it. After all, hexen DOES work with ZDoom 2.0.47. Been loving it. And why did someone on here say Doom Legacy was better? I pesoanlly hate how they did that. No fly mode? How do they expect someone to test full 3D maps? And they didn't use Hexen Scripting, which requires learning new scripting code... I'm sticking with ZDoom. Unless I need to play a deathmatch with a freind and Iactually bring my serial Trackball. Then Legacy would be perfect. But for my home computer ZDoom doesn't lag very much in window where Legacy LAGS HORRIDLY....

Am I rambling too much?