Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
w M w

my level (collaborate for fun?)

I made an unfinished level using pretty intricate symmetry in "wadauthor". I'd love to email it to someone else to perhaps add some sort of monsters/gameplay/additions/whatever. Post your email and I'll email the wad to you? It'd be fun to see what you do with it. I'm pretty new at making levels (don't know any fancy tricks), but think this one is pretty interesting looking relative to some others I've played.

Awesome, make whatever changes/additions/subtractions you want. I'll email it.

Very neat and interesting. I really like the colour and lighting work in the third area.

Your level is very small though, and since the design is so open I will probably need to add new areas. Otherwise it'll be over before it begun, unless i flood it in a sea of barons or something.

I will also definately get rid of all the ashwall, though that is more a personal distaste of mine.

I think you should check out a level called Regulus2. It seems in touch with the style you've displayed here.

I often create in other mediums (music, drawing) and find that irregular symmetry produces the most interesting results. As a medium, designing doom2 levels blows the flat 2-d feel of the others away :))

As you see in the map, it's basically making one small intricate thing then copy/pasting it irregularly. I'd never be able to think up something like those weird stair patterns otherwise... I have to keep saving and playtesting because I very often run into some sort of unknown thing I did wrong which messes everything up (so I have to return to the last saved version).

I just thought of a good way to add to this level (I originally intended for that switch that lowers the small columns to just reveal enemies and a key or something, but now I think I'll make the main function of the column lowering to reveal a new accessable area). So I'll make some sort of finished version and then we can swap what we each came up with :)

later, if you want, we could do the reverse and u send me an unfinished version of something you made, and then we could both make finished versions of this in isolation and swap them.

I'm definately an "ultra violence" skill level by the way.

Then I am allowed to make those stupid rising-falling stairs in the middle of the map into crushing ceilings (the weird things above them of course) and add some cacos to crush?

I'll make sure the first area gets flooded with teleporting imps as soon as somebody steps on that square thing too.

Yeah, of course. I look forward to what you create. I'll probably be able to learn some stuff from what you do since this is my first wadauthor level (I used doomcad a long time ago though). I'd have to experiment to find out how to teleport imps (I guess you just put imps in a hiden sector and make a blocking wall go down to reveal a teleport- that is if they can even hear gunfire from a blocked off area (and so walk around).)

I just played regulus2 and see what you mean with the textures. It's quite big too and makes my level look quite small. But better yet, I played that skyewood you recommended in another thread. That was on crack! Oh man, the reverent's were hilarious. That was the first level I ever played with major modifications. Heh heh...

Cool, I just sent it toosh you. Have fun with it (or have a miserable time with it, whatever your preference)

:) It is just my first wadauthor attempt though. It's fairly small and unfinished although I like the weird areas built from irregularly placed symmetry (weird copy/pasting). Too bad wadauthor only allows rotations, instead of reflections. It would also be awesome to be able to copy a whole area of sectors and, with one click, decrease/increase ALL the ceilings or floors relative to the original copy. Scaling is an awesome feature since it has the possibility of making fractal structures(!)

It's easy enough to email so that'd be cool to have your opinion or alterations or whatever though. If you decide not to bother much with it, that's cool. There's certainly better levels to play with than this one.

I have the level now. When I load it up in ZDoom I see it says loading bigdumb.wad, but apparently it doesn't replace any level in Doom2 (?!). What's up with that?

I have no idea why it doesn't work, sorry. Actually, I shouldn't have spammed such an incomplete level (though if you still want to "remix" it little faith, that's cool). I'll wait until I maybe make something good and then maybe try to upload it to that big server-type-place if I ever figure out how, instead.

I'm playing hell revealed for the first time and the monster layout is inspiring (treating arch viles, cyberdemons like regular monsters not "bosses").

It was quite funny playing a demo someone made for it though... For some reason the "player" and the "game" flow at slightly different speeds, so eventually the player moves off the original path and starts moving in organized but illogical ways (shooting at walls etc, and eventually dies). I also accidently made the player of the hell revealed demo do all the moves in the original doom2 level instead which was funny.

I think I am pretty serious about making this wad into something feasible, but I am probably still going to send it back to you so you can add some more rooms. (I am going to add an area myself too), just behind one of the set of rising bars.

I'm not sure if we're normally supposed to talk about stuff like this through email or private messaging (I think I read this board has the latter).

But anyway, I already added a new area and have ideas for more. Would you rather I do these additions BEFORE you work on it or after?

I was thinking along the lines of a bit of ping-pong action.

I will send the wad to you once I am content with my changes and additions and then I would send it to you, so you could do some changes/modifications.

I've just been on a gaming weekend (tabletop games) with some of my friends, so you'll probably still need to wait a day (or two).

In that case, don't work on the version I sent you. Instead, wait until I email a more complete version (which will take a day or two to make, convenient since you'll be waiting a day or two anyway.) That'll be great.