Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomRater

Legend of Zelda for Hexen

DoomRater said:

Of course. I'm just saying that since the player won't be going into these 'levels' in a linear fashion, why not just group the houses into one level, basically as its own hub?

Example is lie this... Saria's House, Mido's house, Impa's house in Kakariko, a few other places are nothign more than houses. Why should each place take up its own level? If I ws doing huge levels with all the same music I'd use the mapinfo to do it. But here, since I eally don't need a map to get aorund a simple house, there's no need for more than one level with all the houses thrown into it.

This could allow for larger, more detailed houses instead of having everything cramped. It would work better if houses were used within hubs in my opinion

And before anyone starts flaming Grimm, DeHackEd stuff CAN be used in Hexen, if you're using ZDoom.

Nah, feel free to flame, I just realized what I said.

Just to let you know, "TC"'s that only replace sprites and don't change weapons or enemies around always feel lame to me. I don't just wanna play Hexen with the a different set of sprites.

But who knows, if the level design is good enough, you could pull it off.

Grimm said:

Just to let you know, "TC"'s that only replace sprites and don't change weapons or enemies around always feel lame to me. I don't just wanna play Hexen with the a different set of sprites.

But who knows, if the level design is good enough, you could pull it off.

I completely agree. Otherwise it can feel like you've got a moped engine inside a porsche.

Has anyone played Ralphises (fucking grammar) ZelDoom? It was great, for what he and the team did. Shows you won't need the Hexen engine to pull it off.

I have a ZelDoom4, I haven't played it and I dunno if it's the final version.

I think Link should have the iron sword as slot one, the white sword as slot two, the magic sword as slot three and slot four should be the master sword. Yes i'm basing these all from the original NES Zelda, but if I had a choice between a sword and the megaton hammer, I'd go with the sword because it feels more natural. What kinds of weapons are you adding for the other two characters?

I'd be interested in doing the textures for this if i knew how. Are you wanting these characters to look like the Ocarina of Time versions, the older versions or Wind Waker versions?

Dingus Khan said:

I think Link should have the iron sword as slot one, the white sword as slot two, the magic sword as slot three and slot four should be the master sword. Yes i'm basing these all from the original NES Zelda, but if I had a choice between a sword and the megaton hammer, I'd go with the sword because it feels more natural. What kinds of weapons are you adding for the other two characters?

Link's fists are set for the first slot, and a super powerful bow is set for the fourth. But yeah, I see what you're saying. As for the other characters, Nabooru was picked over Impa simply because it would be easier to tie her into fire magic than Impa. So...

I got my design sheet with me....
Zelda would have some sort of dart spell. then for a blue mana spell, she'd use the ice wand. green mana is uh.... I wrtoe Thunder Medallion but something tells me she'd be a better mage with knowing the spell offhand. Din's Fire is the megaweapon for her.

Nabooru starts with a knife. Oh great, I have a blank here for her blue mana weapon... Maybe Necro hands? Yeah, I like that. Nex,t for the green weapon, she'd be using the fire rod. But this spell of Gerudo spirits.... it seems silly. I saw what the BFG9000 was replaced with in MassMouth 2 and thought "Hm! That was cool!" I think something can be figured out.

Some of the things will be seriously different with each character. Zelda will have to start out in her castle, while Link starts out in Kokiri village. Nabooru will have to visit the Spirit Temple for guidance. So each storyline is meant to start out different, then come together at a certain point. That's kinda what I'm doing. And why I don't want to use Doom.wad/doom2.wad to do it.

Designing new ways for the weapons to work could possibly upset the balance of the game, as there will be multiplayer only levels to play with. They'll start wtih DMxx... That is, DM01, DM02, DM03... Tha'ts why I don't want to build new stuff for it.

But then again, in these kind of games, how often to you go up to a cahracter and press USE to talk with people? And I mean most of what you do? Obviously if this is going to be any good and fresh, I need mini-games to play. And lots of them. I could do something similar to QBasic Gorillas for one of the games... other ideas will be discussed as soon as I actually start work on the dungeons. If I don't get modeling this world soon I'll be back in school again. And evne if I have loads of time to work on the project there it is less likely to get worked on seriously I think. Plus, I'll have no contact here.

Ralphis said:

This could allow for larger, more detailed houses instead of having everything cramped. It would work better if houses were used within hubs in my opinion

I'd just like to say i'm going for the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time game play and feel. So all houses will pretty much going to be in a single hub. I just tend to call them levels. But really, the whole thing is a big Hub, no levels to battle through like traditional Hexen. There's a big overworld that will allow you to travel between places, and some quests taht will take you from area to area todeliver messages and such to get news or the items required to enter the dungeons. And there's 6 medallions you need. (kinda makes the Thunder medallion pointless... you'd mistake it for one of the medallions needed to open a dungeon)

The way it's set up now, it'll be a long time. And unless I start it now, I don't think I'll finish it.

With special guest Doom Guy playing Old Man!

DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE

Uh, who's Nabooru again?

I think Russel_P is having some fun with minigames right now. If you actually get started, ask him for help.

Nabooru is the Spirit Sage in OoT. Anyway, minigames as in liek a tourney fighter video game arcade in Hyrule or something. I'ma do a simple Pong game, but befoer I start I could really use some updated material on ZDoom things. I have no documentation on the SkyBox picker or really how to use it (other than examples set in MassMouth 2) plus an updated ZDoom ASC decompiler. The one with DeePsea isn't perfect. Geesh, it doesn't extract the SCRIPT info at all. I think I can get it out another way though.

Pong in Doom was somethign like this- you get teleported into a room where pushign the walls activate scripts. And the main script running during this time takes which wall you're pushing and uses that feedback to move somethign you see with a camera. For the pong thing, the camera is facign a wall with a polyobject and a 2-sided wall with a transparent texture of a paddle, and that gets moved by the y offset. that's used for the ball bouncing off the paddle. Otherwise it's just like making a pong video game in other languages. Just the output is done slightly differently. Also, with this idea in mind I want to make a tourney fighter with Link versus various stuff. Again, the main game needs to be finished befoer this actually happens. Adn that means I'd better get going on Kokiri Forest. I still need to make the ramp around Saria's house, the entry to the Lost Woods, even if that stuff doesn't work yet, and of course honest grass levels. I hear the prefab slope tool in DeePsea is useful for this, so I'll get on that. I'd liek to see what it will all look like when I'm done.

And while I'm at it I'll sumbit soem other WADs I've worked on, like the UFC level where you get a berserker and get thrown in with a bunch of other captured Doom Marines, and you fight for your life with Demons watching the slugfest from outside.