Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shot803

Dead Simple

Grazza said:

Vile: My understanding of that thread on the compet-n forums that I linked to was that killing the last two arachs almost simultaneously just caused the exit step to rise earlier, and AdamW's post confirmed that this was his experience too (neither Adam mentioned any drawback to this). The bug you mention does ring a bell, but maybe the cause is different, or it's specific to some port.

I've had that happen before, but not for a long time. I think it happens when you kill the last two spiders with the same rocket, as that will hit all nearby monsters simultaneously. I think it's possible with the SSG as well.

Just want to thank everyone who has posted some advice on how to complete this level. I will just run my ass off until I get them all. No cheats, have gotten this far without them. Again thx all.

The Shot

i take it that hell revealed is much tougher ... id like to try it cause im tired of playing around with levels from my old addon cds

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I've had that happen before, but not for a long time. I think it happens when you kill the last two spiders with the same rocket, as that will hit all nearby monsters simultaneously. I think it's possible with the SSG as well.

My previous post explained what causes this in more detail. All that matters is the time delay between the last two relevant monsters dying.

Just for fun, I decided to see how high the platform in Map07 could go. I used -skill 4 -fast -respawn and the god and weapons cheats, and sure enough I got it to raise right up to the "ceiling". Some nice tutti-frutti in Doom2.exe too, and a lovely HOM over it in GLBoom. I took some screenies, but I don't know how to make the PCX's that Doom2.exe produces more pleasant to look at. Anyway, I've attached one.

doom04.zip

player said:

i take it that hell revealed is much tougher ... id like to try it cause im tired of playing around with levels from my old addon cds

Yes, Hell Revealed is one of the toughest megawads of all (skill 4 is designed to be challenging for Doomgods), but it does have a full range of difficulty settings implemented. If you want a take a peak, don't be ashamed to try skill 1. The same goes for Alien Vendetta.

If you want to try a megawad with a more moderate difficulty level, then Icarus, TVR!, Memento Mori, Memento Mori 2 and Requiem can be recommended.

Wish I had somebody to co-op with...
I'm getting DSL on Wednesday. Gonna be out of commission starting Monday (later today) until then. Maybe I'll get a low enough ping to actually start playing online, heh.

I play coop a lot with my friends in Legacy splitscreen (sometimes by modem). I remember we completed roughly a half of jivepack.wad in one day: there were four of us, switching pairs after a level(considering it was UV with -fast, the previous pair ran off to kitchen to replenish their stamina:) ) It was great, especially when you are palying and the non-playing guys push you in the back when you get hit(kind of a cheap "force feedback" effect:) ) and scream something like "imps left!! Pick the key!!! A medikit out there!!:)".

By the way, hi! I'm new here:)

yeah, dead simple is simple.. the doom64 incarnation of that level scares me a bit though... I do have a fear of pain elements in that game on skill 4.. maybe it is their 2 lost soul spawning ability, or the fact lost souls are so agressive..

Nanami said:

E1M8 - Killing all Barons lowers tag 666
E2M8 - Killing all Cybs ends the level
E3M8 - Killing all Spider Materminds ends the level

In earlier versions of the EXE (1.2?) these actions could be triggered by any of the bosses. Put a cyb on E1M8, kill it and 666 lowers. Not sure what happened with barons and cybs on the level. I know there is at least one old file in the archive that no longer works because the engine was changed to make these effects level and monster specific.

UAC_DEAD is an E1M8 with barons and a cyberdemon, and according to Never_Again in the textfile for his demos it is impossible to finish in v1.9. Maybe the special sector needs to be triggered twice.

As Opulent pointed out, the tag still works in v1.9, just not Ultimate DOOM.

Indeed, I totally frogot I'd had Matt "Viper" Maier's GM Max demo for years. It is v1.9 even though it's in an Ultimate DOOM directory.

Grazza said:

Yes, Hell Revealed is one of the toughest megawads of all (skill 4 is designed to be challenging for Doomgods), but it does have a full range of difficulty settings implemented. If you want a take a peak, don't be ashamed to try skill 1. The same goes for Alien Vendetta.

OMG! Alien Vendetta is by far the hardest wad ever played!!! Map24 is INSANE!!! I was *barely* able to finish it on skill 4, and that REALLY means that it's a hard wad.

Did I just brag about my self? Help me, I'm turning into an idiot!!!

Xaser said:

OMG! Alien Vendetta is by far the hardest wad ever played!!! Map24 is INSANE!!! I was *barely* able to finish it on skill 4, and that REALLY means that it's a hard wad.

Did I just brag about my self? Help me, I'm turning into an idiot!!!

I love that megawad, but it is insanely hard, but I like the way the difficulty is done. They made it hard by having good level design, not by cramming the levels full of monsters. although the later levels did have cramped areas.
I love the two part level, castle gardens, and the next level.

The only thing you have to worry about in dead simple is running into a wall while strafing, or getting caught between a crossfire. I like fighting aracnatrons with the ssg in close quarters, that weapon is my saviour. hell knights can't touch me, no matter how small the room is.. almost.

Xaser said:

Was that the old version or the new version? In the old version, Map24 was Demonic Hordes, a map teeming with monsters but not really all that difficult thanks to the layout, ammo and power-ups. Map24 in the newer version is a more normal sort of map (Clandestine Complex), and Demonic Hordes has been moved to map25. Either way, map26 is the biggest test in AV (though still, IMO, not quite as great a challenge as HR map24, after which it is modelled).

Well, i guess I have the Old one, because Map24 is Demonic Hordes, and there is no level called Clandestine Complex anywhere in the wad. BTW, since Demonic hordes was moved to map25, which one of the levels was taken out???

Xaser said:

BTW, since Demonic hordes was moved to map25, which one of the levels was taken out???

The old map25 (Valley of Echoes) - one of my favourites. :(

I guess Anders decided that he'd rather cut one of his own maps than upset someone who had contributed a map to his project, and he chose the one he liked least.

when I was looking at the maps, I thought demonic hordes was going to kill my game playing skills. but I found it rather fun. the next level killed my game playing skills, and I haven't been passed that level.. the name was something dome... battle dome, I think. That level pissed me off to no end. but I only tried a couple times. Oh how I wish I could have a computer to play doom on...
anyone want to mail me a hard drive and a video card?

KoRn said:

the next level killed my game playing skills, and I haven't been passed that level.. the name was something dome... battle dome, I think. That level pissed me off to no end. but I only tried a couple times.

Map26 - Dark Dome. It can actually be tackled using standard Dooming methods (no need for godlike skills) as long as you find a safe way to start off and make a safe area for yourself. I'd suggest jumping down off the place where you start, backwards and to your left - you can get to a sequence of teleporters where you telefrag a series of arch-viles and get an invulnerability. By the time the invulnerability has worn off, you can have cleared quite a nice area for yourself by emptying your BFG all over the monsters. Then you can chip away at the monster population bit by bit. I'd suggest getting to know the map's layout pretty well beforehand by exploring it with -nomonsters.

That's the main reason I regard it as less tough than HR map24, which pretty much has to be done "heroically".