Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mewse

Get A Toupee Already

Seeing that Mines of Titan only got a 6.5, I decided to take a look at the map to which Baldy/Grogglo gave his worst rating - Motion (0.01), and it turned out to be a map I played a while ago, and rather enjoyed. Heh.

haha, you liked motion.wad? i did, but only as a joke =P i wonder what a map YOU hate looks like, heh. mines of titan wasn't really bad, it was just too long and consistently full of enemies to sustain my interest. when i got to the end i was like 'about damn time'.

i did once play a CD full of wads from '94 and early '95. i actually wrote a simple list giving each map a rating from 1 to 5 a long time ago, but i lost that years ago. which is too bad because i know there was some really good stuff mixed in with all the crap, and now i can't remember what they were called.

there was one in particular that for whatever reason i liked the storyline. you start out in some town, and then in the second map head into the mountains. the text file of the second map said there was a 3rd map called "sands of doom" or something but i couldn't locate at cdrom.com. anyone know what i'm talking about?

Grogglogobofink said:
haha, you liked motion.wad? i did, but only as a joke =P i wonder what a map YOU hate looks like, heh.

Sure, it had its deficiencies, but also had its good points, and I found it quite interesting to play. I tend not to "hate" maps, but find ones with no worthwhile gameplay a bit pointless. A really rotten wad? I'd nominate Boom2_3 as one of the worst ever.

mines of titan wasn't really bad, it was just too long and consistently full of enemies to sustain my interest. when i got to the end i was like 'about damn time'.

Heh, you should see DooMer 4ever's speedrun: 3:30. He reckoned it could go under 3 minutes too. Anyway, I enjoyed exploring this map, and gradually unravelled its mysteries over the course of a few years (I found it way too hard to start with).

you start out in some town, and then in the second map head into the mountains. the text file of the second map said there was a 3rd map called "sands of doom" or something but i couldn't locate at cdrom.com.

Sorry, that doesn't ring any bells.

Grazza said:

Heh, you should see DooMer 4ever's speedrun: 3:30. He reckoned it could go under 3 minutes too. Anyway, I enjoyed exploring this map, and gradually unravelled its mysteries over the course of a few years (I found it way too hard to start with).

Where can I find this demo? I´m stuck in this map (can´t get access to the yellow key area, that one with the four square buildings) so I´d love to watch the demo for it. It seems it´s not in Opulent´s page... Could you please e-mail it to me Grazza?

It's here. It's for Legacy.

You may also wish to read this.

Talking of DooMer 4ever, his army duty should be ending around now, so maybe we'll be seeing him again quite soon.

Grogglogobofink : http://www.telusplanet.net/public/daewoo/doom/Legacy.zip ´
That's the kindof latest version of legacy. it's a release candidate released kindof close to today. I think there's a newer version in the legacy forums or on the site.,. you can check it out but I can't find that either.. anyhow. that version is quite stable for me anyway. only had one crash so far, and that was when I tested the savegame bug and it's still there. But it'll probaly be gone soon to.

grazza: yeah, huge maps can be fun to explore every inch of. but some of these older ones are a little too weird thematically for me to get really into. plus sometimes i forget to save and i meet my demise, and.. heh.

kristus said:

yeah i just got that yesterday, it seemed stable for me too, so i guess i'll give that another go :)

nice fruit you have there zarcyb

Phobia has never crashed for me, maybe because I never savegame in doom, I dunno.

Grogglogobofink said:

there was one in particular that for whatever reason i liked the storyline. you start out in some town, and then in the second map head into the mountains. the text file of the second map said there was a 3rd map called "sands of doom" or something but i couldn't locate at cdrom.com. anyone know what i'm talking about?

You're thinking of deadbase.wad and mntfire.wad. Sadly, the third one never got made.

NiGHTMARE said:

You're thinking of deadbase.wad and mntfire.wad. Sadly, the third one never got made.

awww :( oh well, thanks for info. i hope they're as good as i remember them.

EDIT: holy shit they're even better. i honestly don't understand why these aren't considered two of the most revered classic maps. these maps would look good for a '96 or '97 PWAD, and yet seem to date back to may 1994 (predating even uac_dead)! a lot of highly inventive ideas are used here too, a lot of which i'm sure this map's author was inventor of. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended, particularly for people who like old wads. these are honestly genius. two of my very favorite classics. thanks a load nightmare, you're awesome. these two are very nostalgic to me :)

Deadbase

Mount Fire

i'm almost considering looking up the author of these and asking him if i can make the 3rd map myself (and maybe polishing up the first couple as well).

Sign in to follow this