Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyena

What happened to me

I'm not able to connect to the internet at home and have been unable for over a week. I'm typing this at a friend's house.

To put it simply, I was on the phone with the ISP tech support for over a half-hour and in the end he told me that he's detecting my computer at his end but I'm not receiving any signals.

So the best guess on their part is that I have some sort of virus software installed that is filtering out everything, that I may have uninstalled but that still has pieces remaining. They're suggesting taking it back to the people who made it and having them do a thorough search.

A theory I came up with is that the cord between the cable modem and cpu might be damaged, to the point that it can send but can't receive. By the looks of it, the "receive" light isn't even turning on when I try to get a signal. I'm thinking a replacement cord might help, but if it doesn't it means wasting money on something that never had a problem.

Needless to say, this really really sucks. There's talk about cancelling the subscription for a couple of months since we can't connect anyway. I may be without internet at home for a long time.

Unfortunately, this also means the projects I'm working on are suffering because I can't get in contact with my team members and for those nearing completion, I can't upload or send my work to others.

So, in short, I'm not dead. I'm alive and very much irritated.

Heh, I was wondering where you had got to, you still need to make a sample for me :P

In all seriousness, I hope you can get back online soon.

Ugh, hate it when that sort of thing happens. Good to see you're still alive however.

So you consider not being online for a couple months, just because you're afraid you maybe uselessly spend some money on a new cord? If it might be the remains of a virus, why don't you simply reinstall Windows?

ok

normally I'd say "Fuck you faggot, cause no one gives a flying fuck about you you canardian trout" but I care.

no I'm not going fag.

I made some music for zarcyb and until hyena makes that sample its gonna star unreleased

god damn buttsauce

Hyena said:

So the best guess on their part is that I have some sort of virus software installed that is filtering out everything, that I may have uninstalled but that still has pieces remaining. They're suggesting taking it back to the people who made it and having them do a thorough search.

Possible, you can see exactly what sites are being filtered by windows by searching for a file called 'hosts'. It has no extension. You can open it with notepad. Sometimes spyware or filesharing software will log ips in here and prevent windows from connecting to them. it should look like this:

# localhost: Needs to stay like this to work
127.0.0.1 localhost

Anything else is there should be deleted. Your cord theory is also not possible. If the cord was damaged in any way you would get nothing, and the cable provider would not be able to ping you. Do a couple searches with Adaware and updated virus software. Reinstalling windows is a last resort and is usualy unnecessary.

Sorry to hear that hyena. Any mock2 orders to be given? Hope you get back soon.

Damn. I'm also having problems with my ISP, but in a different way.

Let's just say after 2.5 months of waiting for an ADSL service and nothing in return pisses me off. After paying them $500 for the modem and filters, also not getting them yet.

Don't use virusscans but preventing applications for going to the internet is more a thing from firewalls.
On the site of sysinternals.com
download the proces explorer. It will show all running processes, it's comparable to taskbar but it doesn't allow applications and their processes to hide. So if something is still active it should be show up somehere. You can kill everything but services. But those can be stopped in the servicemanager.
Hope they did ask you to ping localhost, ip, google and thing like that. If it's their cable modem insists that it made weird noises before you lost connection. If you suspect the cable, test it if possible, but if you don't have two cables
suppose they work.

Hooray, Hyena's not dead. At least that explains why Mock2 hasn't been released yet.

Well good luck Hyena, if you ever read this.

Update: I still am not dead.

I took Use3d's advice, which although is very sage and appreciated, did not help. The hosts file was perfectly fine.
Adaware (after finding it without the internet) managed to remove a great deal of useless stuff. However I'm still not able to use the internet at home. I'm running out of options.

I really dread the concept of re-installing windows.

Any further ideas are greatly appreciated. MUST . . . HAVE . . . INTERNET

Hyena said:

Update: I still am not dead.

I took Use3d's advice, which although is very sage and appreciated, did not help. The hosts file was perfectly fine.
Adaware (after finding it without the internet) managed to remove a great deal of useless stuff. However I'm still not able to use the internet at home. I'm running out of options.

I really dread the concept of re-installing windows.

Any further ideas are greatly appreciated. MUST . . . HAVE . . . INTERNET

Reinstalling windows isn't really that bad, is it?

zarcyb said:

Reinstalling windows isn't really that bad, is it?

It is when you consider that nearly every windows program has INI files in the system directory.
So if I simply copy all of my old programs back from backup, those ones won't even run.
That means nearly all of my programs will have to manually be re-installed one by one after windows. Some programs I don't use as often and even months later I might still be re-installing programs I just hadn't thought about before.
Not to mention of course that I've lost the CDs to several programs, making re-installs very difficult.
Also, many are ones I got off the internet, which means I would have to remember exactly where I got them in the first place to re-install them.

It's just a huge time-consuming process.

This is why I keep CD's full of all the handy stuff I get off the net. It also makes it easier to put the same stuff on all my comps. I dunno, sounds like you might be screwed. Once Windows gets fucked it's fucked forever. On the upside it's a great time to clean up your drives and get all your stuff sorted.

Something like this happened to me recently. It was actually caused by a carpet tack being stuck through the phone cable so the downstairs phone and my upstairs connection were linked through the tack, that would help explain how the provider can detect your PC.

Well, I guess you could call this good news . . .

I hooked up my old hard drive, (one I hadn't used for months) and I have the exact same connection problem. That means it's not my hard drive.
It also means I can probably get the ISP to figure out how to fix it rather than try to apply my own limited knowledge (which hasn't been working)