Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gotmilk?

zdoom & wads

I'm trying to run some megawads (icarus, mm, alien vengeance, etc) with zdoom and I keep getting the error "W_GetNumForName: PLAYPAL not found".
TNT & Plutonia work fine however.
What do I need to do to get them working?

Also, how can I get zdlaunch to recognise wads other than doom1,2,tnt,plutonia?

I think you need to know the distinction between Iwads and Pwads.

Iwads (or internal wads) are the ones that include all the resources (all levels, all musics, all demos, all palettes. Basically all that the .exe doesn't handle. The Iwads are the ones that comes with the game. The four Iwads currently in existence are Doom.wad Doom2.wad Tnt.wad and Plutonia.wad

You always need an Iwad in order to play.

Pwads (patch wads) are third party addon wads that replaces or adds to the original resources in the Iwad. Icarus, Menento Mori and Alien Vendetta are all pwads.

So in order to play them you need to load both.

With Zdoom you load the pwads with the -file parameter. (Type Zdoom -file blahblah.wad in a dosprompt or create a .bat file with that text string).

Yeah and for those pwads you listed, you need the iwad doom2.wad. If you put more iwads in the zdoom folder than one, a menu should appear when you start the game, allowing you to select the iwad you want. You can bypass the menu by adding to the command line -iwad someiwad.wad.

Little Faith said:

I think you need to know the distinction between Iwads and Pwads.

Iwads (or internal wads) are the ones that include all the resources (all levels, all musics, all demos, all palettes. Basically all that the .exe doesn't handle. The Iwads are the ones that comes with the game. The four Iwads currently in existence are Doom.wad Doom2.wad Tnt.wad and Plutonia.wad

You always need an Iwad in order to play.

Pwads (patch wads) are third party addon wads that replaces or adds to the original resources in the Iwad. Icarus, Menento Mori and Alien Vendetta are all pwads.

So in order to play them you need to load both.

With Zdoom you load the pwads with the -file parameter. (Type Zdoom -file blahblah.wad in a dosprompt or create a .bat file with that text string).

That was it... thanks!!

Now a final question... I got all the pwads working except eternal. I loaded all the pwads but it came back with error "73 errors in R_InitTextures". It is possible to run this with zdoom?

It is with the newest versions, but I remember some older versions choking on it for some arcane reason.

Try zdoom.notgod.com/lars for the current Zdoom version.

gotmilk? said:

That was it... thanks!!

Now a final question... I got all the pwads working except eternal. I loaded all the pwads but it came back with error "73 errors in R_InitTextures". It is possible to run this with zdoom?

The only wad you should need is eternall.wad

for Eternal, you need to compile eternal.wad (eternalL.wad is a stub). After you successfully compile eternal.wad, place it in any Doomport you want and treat it as a pwad.
As of zDoom, you need to either use ZDL or pin TNT megawads to different doom2-compliant iWADs - i.e. eternal.wad as an autoload for tnt.wad, Icarus - for Plutonia, NERVE.WAD for base doom2.wad ...
FreeDoom iwads seem to be built in such a way that they cannot host megawads, they can only host themepack pwads.
FreeDoom and doom1.wad, if attempted to load via Smack's modloader, lead to segmentation violation, I think this could be fixed by going into newly-loaded (i/p)wad's main menu instead of launching straight into game.
Generally, I find Doom95 to have the sanest external launcher - but you need to kill explorer.exe in Windows 7 to avoid palette fouling itself up.