Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shmacky

Using Strafe as running along...

Keep strafe running throughout the board and then take out everyone. Does anyone use this with mouse? I find it useful... but some ports like Zdoom and such just don't cut it. The mouse never moves enough for looking.

I generally just hold down the Alt key if I want to strafe (I don't use the , and . keys). As for the mouse sensitivity, JDoom seems to have a higher sensitivity limit than normal Doom and maybe ZDoom, meaning in JDoom (and JHexen), I can turn the sensitivity all the way up, and it will spin around like a gyroscope. Of course, that's a little too fast for me, so my sensitivity is set around halfway.

I always like to have the mouse pretty sensitive, need to be able to do a 180 degree turn with a quick flick (though you can normally make it a lot more sensitive, but then it gets silly). You can manually edit the .cfg files in orignal doom (and I guess zdoom) to make the mouse more sensitive than using the slider in the option menu. That's what I always used to do with the original .exes

keys for lateral movement, and mouse for looking/turning.
I strafe too much.. It is rare to see me walking down a hallway straight... :(

I just hold down the right mouse button to strafe.

Same here. Took awhile to get used to, but I'm good at it now.

BlackFish said:

I have left strafe as left key and right strafe as right key.

That's the only way to do it.

The problem with using the arrow keys for movement is that on most keyboards there aren't many other keys near to them, so it's hard to find a convenient way to SR50. Short of growing another hand, obviously.

Grazza said:

The problem with using the arrow keys for movement is that on most keyboards there aren't many other keys near to them, so it's hard to find a convenient way to SR50. Short of growing another hand, obviously.

Indeed. I thought only keyboarders used the arrow keys.
But there seem to be quite a few of them around.

Why use the mouse to strafe when you cam do side stepping standard FPS style (A+D keys) which is a zillion times easier.

Arrow keys for moving

The mouse for looking

Mouse1 for firing

Mousewheel for switching weapons

Right shift for running (I have my little finger on it)

/ for jumping (I move my little finger to it, and the next finger along to righ shift if I need to do a run/jump)

Space for activating stuff (I use the palm of my hand ;))

For games that have other important keys (e.g. an inventory), I'll use Mouse2, Mouse3 and Enter (in that order).

W - forward
s - backward
a - strafe left
d - srafe right

Mouse 1 - fire
mouse (optical) - turning

Space - open/activate

I have to use ports because the old Doom 95 (at least on XP) won't read my optical mouse...)

But, with a port, I can at least keep the always run feature on, which would save me a good deal of discomfort while trying to use the left shift key.

Fafnir said:

But, with a port, I can at least keep the always run feature on, which would save me a good deal of discomfort while trying to use the left shift key.

There is a little trick you can use to get autorun with the original exes. Edit your default.cfg so that this appears:

joyb_speed		29
This works with UDoom, Doom2 and Final Doom. That only leaves you needing a way around XP's sound issues. :(

mouse1 = fire
mouse2 = run
mousescroll = weapon change
mouse3/scrollclick = use

ctrl = jump
left = left strafe
right = right strafe
up = fwrd
down = backpeddal

To me, Forward/Backward + Strafe Left/Right + Turn Left/Right + Sidestep = Smoothest strafe-running

pritch said:

I think ESDF may be the way forward.

If you use asxz and bring the left hand side of kb nearer to you it seems to work nicely.Finger drops onto z for backwards easier than it does from e to d, z is directly behind s but d isn't directly behind e.

fodders said:

If you use asxz and bring the left hand side of kb nearer to you it seems to work nicely.Finger drops onto z for backwards easier than it does from e to d, z is directly behind s but d isn't directly behind e.

it does seem like a good way to play.. I will try it next time I am lucky enough to be able to play doom [face_miss]