Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shmacky

Cursed doom95

I got doom95 but the Mouse WILL NOT WORK. I'm on winXP... so I got fed up... I now want to just run the DOS DOOM.... can it be found sinde the doom95 CD?

Shmacky said:
I got doom95 but the Mouse WILL NOT WORK. I'm on winXP...

Doom95 supports the mouse via a VXD (virtual device driver), and M$ dropped VXD support from WinXP (and Win2000). So that's more like "cursed Windoze" =).

so I got fed up... I now want to just run the DOS DOOM....

The best way. Not under the XP, though: you're likely to have serious sound problems. You may want to consider dual boot or a source port.

can it be found sinde the doom95 CD?

If it's the recent POS "Collector Edition", the answer is no. Earlier DOOM CDROMs all had the original DOS packages, AFAIK.

what? doom.exe is on the collection edition cd?. Heh, didn't find that one, when I was looking. :P

The DOS exes can be legally downloaded for free.

So Collector's Edition is still the best buy, since it has all the iwads.

Grazza said:

But I don't like the name. They should have included a couple of extra wads, editors, etc...
Like this cd I found sometime in 97. It had alot of old levels, level editors etc...

Torn said:

what? doom.exe is on the collection edition cd?. Heh, didn't find that one, when I was looking. :P

well i just know the ultimate doom CD has it hidden. i don't own doom collector's edition =P

Torn said:

But I don't like the name. They should have included a couple of extra wads, editors, etc...
Like this cd I found sometime in 97. It had alot of old levels, level editors etc...

OK, I meant the best buy if you don't have the original games - it's better value than buying each game separately.

Grazza said:

and

OK, I meant the best buy if you don't have the original games - it's better value than buying each game separately.

Unless you mean there are complete packages including all the DOS files like IPXSETUP, DM, MODEM.STR etc freely available for download, I have to disagree. So far, I have only seen the DOOM/DOOm[] execs.

Besides, you know that the "legally" part is BS. The source code was released into PD, but the programs themselves are still commercial. A purely academic notion, I know =).

He was referring to doom(2).exe, which you can legally download for free, because (AFAIK anyway) the shareware doom1.exe v1.9 will work with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom.

Never_Again said:

Besides, you know that the "legally" part is BS.

If I'd thought it was BS, I definitely wouldn't have said it. I recall some discussion about this fairly recently, which had the conclusion that since the source can be compiled, the exe therefore has the same status license-wise as the source code. It sounds like a logical line of reasoning (and was probably stated more precisely and eloquently by whoever it was - fraggle maybe?).

NiGHTMARE's point looks valid too.

You're right that I wasn't taking into consideration the DOS exes relevant to multiplayer. I sometimes forget that Doom isn't SP-only. ;)

well i sure hope it's legal considering doomworld has a link to it on its source ports page, and you can download it on 3ddownloads (well, if 3ddownloads wasn't down right now).

NiGHTMARE said:

(AFAIK anyway) the shareware doom1.exe v1.9 will work with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom.

it can run the ultimate doom if you rename doom.wad to doom1.wad, but it doesn't know what to do with doom2.wad

EDIT: hrm, i forgot, the version of shareware i keep on here is 1.2 (the version i originally had =P). so heh, doom1.exe (v1.9) might work as a subsititute afaik.

Grazza said:
If I'd thought it was BS, I definitely wouldn't have said it. I recall some discussion about this fairly recently, which had the conclusion that since the source can be compiled, the exe therefore has the same status license-wise as the source code. It sounds like a logical line of reasoning (and was probably stated more precisely and eloquently by whoever it was - fraggle maybe?).

NiGHTMARE's point looks valid too.

I was wrong about the execs. Must have been thinking about the IWADs, god knows why how it all got mixed up here, hehe.

You're right that I wasn't taking into consideration the DOS exes relevant to multiplayer. I sometimes forget that Doom isn't SP-only. ;)

Ditto =).

GB sez
hrm, i forgot, the version of shareware i keep on here is 1.2 (the version i originally had =P). so heh, doom1.exe (v1.9) might work as a subsititute afaik.

It will. Both execs are identical (tested with File Compare).

Hey, personally i like the doom.exe slowdowns under WinXP. I mean, it is normally fast, but when monsters appear and make sounds, the game slows down just like it is some kind of "bullet time" effect! MAX PAYNE DOOM!!! h00rj!!! :)

Grazza said:

I recall some discussion about this fairly recently, which had the conclusion that since the source can be compiled, the exe therefore has the same status license-wise as the source code. It sounds like a logical line of reasoning (and was probably stated more precisely and eloquently by whoever it was - fraggle maybe?)

Whoever came to this conclusion was wrong. The original .exe's include code which does not belong to ID Software and had to be removed from the source code release. This means - obviously - that the original .exe is not and cannot be covered by the same license as the source code.

If you compile and play the original source code, you'll notice that there's no sound. I'm not 100% sure here, but I think there might well be no network support either.

Geesh. Talk about legality- ferget it, get ZDoom, or whatever port you like (I'm hooked on ZDoom actually cuz it's about all that'll run on my POS) and never deal with legality again. As long as you buy yuor IWADs, you're fine.

NiGHTMARE said:

Whoever came to this conclusion was wrong. The original .exe's include code which does not belong to ID Software and had to be removed from the source code release. This means - obviously - that the original .exe is not and cannot be covered by the same license as the source code.

If you compile and play the original source code, you'll notice that there's no sound. I'm not 100% sure here, but I think there might well be no network support either.

Since id itself distributes the DOS-Exe free of charge in the shareware version the whole discussion is rather useless.
The DOS-Exe is freely available and that's it. I don't know about the multiplayer stuff. Is this included in the shareware version or not?

The shareware exe is a good start, but there are some differences between versions of the DOS exe; e.g., the Final Doom exes are different from the basic Doom2.exe.

On the subject of the source release, id did release a version including the sound code to the Boom team. That may not count as a public release, of course.

DarkWolf: Yes, that's fine for the older (and medium-aged) CD releases, but apparently the DOS exes are entirely absent from the Collector's Edition.

If I'm not mistaken the network code is in the source, they even released the code for IPXSETUP and stuff. The sound code in Doom uses DMX libraries, though, and could not be released (see readme.sound in the source release package.)

As for the legality of distributing the compiled engines; I doubt anyone minds, especially now that source mods can be distributed freely, and it's only the binaries.

The fact that a version of the Doom engine is distributed freely with the DOS shareware package isn't related to whether it's legal, though. Just because it's free it doesn't necessarily mean it the stuff in the ZIP can be distributed separately.

Grazza said:

DarkWolf: Yes, that's fine for the older (and medium-aged) CD releases, but apparently the DOS exes are entirely absent from the Collector's Edition.

Yeah, I was mainly posting them for reference. The Ultimate Doom CD also has Heretic shareware.

I've always been under the impression that libraries which you paid to use couldn't be distributed in the source code of your project, but you could distribute the compiled executable without problem. Of course different libraries might have different licenses also.