Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

Build your own house!

I'm sure we've all at some point tried to design our own house in Doom. It's fun but it doesn't make a very good level.

Doomworld Adventures! is a new ZDoom project which will involve - yes - Doomworld members (as well as Newdoom etc.) as characters in the game. There will be some RPG elements (conversations, buying equipment, a storyline, etc.) and I really need your help.

Build your own house in your favourite editor!

Your house will be erected (heh) in the currently-nameless Doomworld town and you will be inserted as a character into the game, with conversations (although this will come later). Here are the rules:

The houses must be ZDoom compatible - use as many ZDoom features as you want but no Legacy or Edge stuffage please.

ZDoom Wadauthor config file here.

Have a little border outside your house for sky.

The dimensions of your house will be from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048 in size, and up to 384 tall (these are rough guidelines; I guess you could have a bit more if you wanted to).

You can include any custom textures, sounds, scripts and decorations if you want, although no midis. Also, if you do use custom stuff, try and give the lumps fairly unique names so they don't collide with other peoples' lumps; all these houses will be put together in one map once they're done.

One last point - be creative! Build the house of your dreams and use as many ZDoom effects as you want!

Once you've finished, email the finished result to zarcyb@blueyonder.co.uk. If you use any textures etc. from another Wad, send me a text file along with it with details and GET PERMISSION!

That is all.

What if I don't know how to map for beans?

Also, I live in an apartment...

Maybe if I still have that old house wad I made, I'll send it... but I may have lost it in my hard drive crash...

That ought to be a big level... especially with all the extra floors (I, for one, made second-story and basement floors, although small ones).

Mancubus II said:

what if I don't know how to map for beans?

Then I guess you could ask someone (me) to make your house for you, given a specification.

netnomad312 said:

That ought to be a big level... especially with all the extra floors (I, for one, made second-story and basement floors, although small ones).

I might consider splitting the map up into several levels, depending on the number of houses I get sent to me.

zarcyb said:

Then I guess you could ask someone (me) to make your house for you, given a specification.

Ok, I'll make a couple sketches and toss them your way. Unless I get someone else to volunteer, so you have less workload.

Good idea, but if there's ever any type of level that needs Legacy to be done properly, it's houses.

You know, since most dream houses have more than 1 floor, etc.

Grazza said:

Did you mean to put this in wads and mods?

I guess it would be more on topic there... although I don't think I would get the same kind of response if it was there.

It can stay here, zarc, fix your pic, oh and you need to build me my island =P

Well, this response is still here:

zarcyb, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

I might make a stab at it (although I'd have to use teleport lines rather than Transfer_Heights + bridge things, as the latter would be less detailed) but it won't be for a while.

As for a town name, how about :

Doomworld
Doomworld Garden City (if all the houses have big gardens)
Doomville
Doomtown (then the rats could be Doomtown Rats, heh)
Doomport (not ZDoomport, heh)
Fragville

Mine's too hard and complicated. If anybody needs a texture or two, feel free to pesture me. The real challenge for me is to get the texture low res....

zarcyb said:

I guess it would be more on topic there... although I don't think I would get the same kind of response if it was there.

Sure, just checking you didn't actually want it moving.

heh, great idea zarcyb. i'll make some piece of crap right away (translate as eventually)!

i think it would be better if you used scripted marines to represent each person, and had two seperate cities, one for newdoom and one for doomworld. that way we could have a big fight!1111

Sure I could give it a try :P

Don't know how good it will turn out though, might break out the house plans to help :)

this is an awesome fucking idea.

Well, I live in an apartment, so I dont have to worry about any room-over-room stuff.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Well, this response is still here:

zarcyb, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

I'm not really asking for help in the normal sense... I'm giving people the chance to have something personal inserted into the project.

Woo. Scuba Steve should do a house-map and he could (in-game) operate a black-market weapons shop. Um, Afterglow could like, sell wallpaper and carpetting... none of which you would actually be able to buy, but he could have it all on display.

Ooooh, I think I'm gonna make a nice library for mine...

This is a very interesting idea.
In the first post it says that your dream house must be created, which isn't necessarily your own house. Not that it really matters, as nobody can verify. But I prefer to make a fantasy house and be all creative and stuff.

Excellent idea, Zarcyb!
How the RPG elements are gonna work out, I dunno. But it's gonna be interesting to have one big map composed out of the work of a dozen mappers.

Isn't there gonna occur some conflict with the linedef/sector tags when the houses are combined? Or does WadAuthor fix this automagically?

Ultraviolet said:

Woo. Scuba Steve should do a house-map and he could (in-game) operate a black-market weapons shop. Um, Afterglow could like, sell wallpaper and carpetting... none of which you would actually be able to buy, but he could have it all on display.

Ooooh, I think I'm gonna make a nice library for mine...

I already have plans for certain Doomworld members to have special things... Scuba Steve will have his Bitch-Ass Weapons Emporium, the local newspaper "The Doomworld Times" will be run by the Doomworld newsies, and Mordeth will be the town's sheriff. More ideas welcome!

I'm so happy with the amount of feedback this has recieved :)

Arno said:

Isn't there gonna occur some conflict with the linedef/sector tags when the houses are combined? Or does WadAuthor fix this automagically?

Hooray for manual work! It would be nice if there was some proggie that did this but it shouldn't be too hard.

...and what about Afterglow's wallpaper and carpetting shop? Ooh, you could make his sprite Christopher Lowell. He could have an assistant who's sprite is Dutch Boy.

Arno said:

This is a very interesting idea.
In the first post it says that your dream house must be created, which isn't necessarily your own house. Not that it really matters, as nobody can verify. But I prefer to make a fantasy house and be all creative and stuff.

Excellent idea, Zarcyb!
How the RPG elements are gonna work out, I dunno. But it's gonna be interesting to have one big map composed out of the work of a dozen mappers.

wad author fixes this automagitically

I have to have my little island, or rock, with like a small house or hut built on it somewhere :P

Oh, and add pritchfish as a graphic and gimme a flag over my hut :)

Arno said:

Unless we allocate a range of tags to each mapper - say, 50 each.

btw, WA doesn't fix that problem - you have to find the clashes yourself.

zarcyb said:

More ideas welcome!

How about the mods/supermods/admins running the police and/or the military (excluding newsies as they're doing the newspaper) the newstuff reviewers presenting a weekly TV show called "The /newstuff Chronicles" and Ichor running some kind of Heretic/Hexen museum with all the monsters, weapons etc. (kinda like the Smithsonian Terror map in Duke it out in DC)

pritch said:

Oh, and add pritchfish as a graphic and gimme a flag over my hut :)

Good idea - all the houses could have the owner's favourite avatar as a flag outside!

Okay, well, if you want to REMEDY this problem, why don't we all make the names of the linedef/sector tags exclusive to the author?

For example, say I wanted to flag a linedef as a ZDoom teleport (no flash) to another part of my house, like the upper floor, I'd make the tag say "Laguna_Tag(#)" because nobody else would really use it.