Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

Build your own house!

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Unless we allocate a range of tags to each mapper - say, 50 each.

That should work.

This is gonna be fun. I'm thinking of a huge mansion with game room, swimming pool and wine cellar. Although that wouldn't really reflect my forum status here. I'm not even a member yet.

Cool, I think I'll make a nightmare house based roughly on victorian twin I live in a side of (although three stories with a basement wasn't ever very feasable in Doom).

Are any limitations being put on houses besides the 2048x2048x384? (384 is a little short tho I think.) Excessive use of the slotted 3D bridge/floor can really bog down the performance on low end machines? And is that even allowed in the first place? I suggest maybe allowing it but only sparingly in ways that it looks decent. And if it's allowed it might be a idea to establish the invisible bridge things to be universally used. 64 wide (32 in dehacked)? 128 wide (64 in dehacked)? Height 16 works well for them BTW. Destructable ones with texture changing scripts are always fun, heh heh.

Fuck, I forgot about that...

*smacks head* I've been away from any Doom editor so long I've gotten used to automatically making target/targetname assignments.

I guess number allocation would have to work, hm?

Linguica said:

I'll make one if I get to put scripting in it :P

You can put any scripting in it you want.

Gokuma said:

Are any limitations being put on houses besides the 2048x2048x384? (384 is a little short tho I think.) Excessive use of the slotted 3D bridge/floor can really bog down the performance on low end machines? And is that even allowed in the first place? I suggest maybe allowing it but only sparingly in ways that it looks decent. And if it's allowed it might be a idea to establish the invisible bridge things to be universally used. 64 wide (32 in dehacked)? 128 wide (64 in dehacked)? Height 16 works well for them BTW. Destructable ones with texture changing scripts are always fun, heh heh.

The 384 height is only a guideline, you can go higher if you really want to. And yeah bridges are allowed, although imo they look pretty gay.

Gokuma said:

Hey, is this project still alive?

I haven't got any submissions so I guess the answer is no.

zarcyb said:

I haven't got any submissions so I guess the answer is no.

That sucks. Of course, building a house is pretty much now possible with Eternity.

Mancubus II said:

I live in an apartment...

Floating room ahoy!

I live in a dorm now. =P

Also, using the silent/nofog teleporters it'd be easy to make multi-floor houses in ZDoom.

I use Doom Builder. I will need to wait for the next Doom Builder patch before I attempt to build my house in Doom. This would be another week or two, but as long as I don't use negative numbers for the sector heights, it won't crash.

Oh yes, I have no knowledge of creating slopes with Zdoom.

I'll also need to get a blueprint of my house from an overview on paper. I've done the last time a couple of years ago. Excuse me while I go buy a notebook and pen/pencils from the store.

Updated @ 6:55 PM, 9/7/03

Already sketched out:

My room
2nd floor hallway
Parents' room
Younger brothers' room
Dining room
Living Room
Boiler room (ditched because hogging space for stairs)
Downstairs closets in hallway & living room
Cat/washer-dryer room
Shed (part of backyard)
Downstairs bathroom
Downstairs hallway
Kitchen
Older brother's room
Porch & backyard
Garage/driveway & pool (part of backyard)
East side of house

To do:

Upstairs bathroom
Front yard (45% complete)

Almost done.

Well, I have 2 floors, and will have to fake it with silent teleporters y'know...

I'm gonna have to use a bit more than 1024x1024 (I have to find out once I start building in my editor). I think the max height will be 256 or 284.

Maybe I'll cut the boiler room out since it'll hamper space for the area where the stairs would be. The last time I did this, I had to sacrifice the stairs for a teleporter pad.

I was thinking of using my house as a base to extend and cover my street block as a project.

No, I'm not gonna ask my neighbors to enter their homes and get a blueprint of their houses.

Zdoom has silent teleporter linedef, does it?

i could build a level in doomcad, haven't gotten to try doombuilder yet. it's gonna take me a while to get used to zeth, so unless i can find someone to mod my level after i build it i probably can't submit. damn. 'cause this idea is damned cool.

Hmmm. I did a layout of the house I live in as a Tapan Kaikki level once, but I don't think I ever tried it for Doom.

I don't think I'll get into this. Too busy.

Nanami said:

I live in a dorm now. =P

heh, so will i, in a couple weeks. and thanks to me submitting my application so late, i'll most likely be in the same trashy dorm i lived in freshman year that was supposed to be remodeled two years ago. if i'm really lucky they'll put me on the second floor which features my mural of a kitty cat and a friend's painting of me as a smurf.

Nanami said:

Also, using the silent/nofog teleporters it'd be easy to make multi-floor houses in ZDoom.

eh, isn't that just a boom thing...? from the doom builder boom config (that i happen to have written):

207 = "W1 Teleport (also monsters, silent, same angle)";
	208 = "WR Teleport (also monsters, silent, same angle)";
	209 = "S1 Teleport (also monsters, silent, same angle)";
	210 = "SR Teleport (also monsters, silent, same angle)";
oh, and get on IRC you twerp! =P

silent teleporters in doom originated with boom, though hexen had them as well (first) I believe (teleport_nofog)

edit: just checked the hexen config for wadauthor since I don't have the hexen source on me and indeed teleport_nofog() and also thing_spawnnofog() are present