Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fafnir

I've done it.

I hope this isn't locked, but I just had to take this moment to brag.

I beat the Cyberdemon on Nightmare. Yes, I completed E2M8 on the Nightmare difficulty.

I HAD to tell somebody. (not that I won't stick around on these boards)

That map on Nightmare is actually quite easy. Since the Cyberdemon shoots rockets a lot more, he ends up staying in one spot a lot longer, giving you an easier target. Just dodge the rockets while shooting at him at the same time.

However, it is a more significant feat if you managed to finish the whole episode before reaching E2M8.

Personally I don't play Nightmare! much. I did do a demo of MAP32 Nightmare! speedrun though. And it's actually a lot harder than it sounds.

I think I did one or two more Nightmare! demos. I can't think of which though.

Fafnir...uh, ok...read the FAQ

BTW, you didn't do anything wrong, I'm just asking you to read the FAQ anyway :)

e2m8 is deadly easy on nightmare, try e3m8 or e1m8, alot harder. I kinda think e1m8 is harder than e3m8. Or the other original maps on nightmare.

Ichor said:

That map on Nightmare is actually quite easy. Since the Cyberdemon shoots rockets a lot more, he ends up staying in one spot a lot longer, giving you an easier target. Just dodge the rockets while shooting at him at the same time.

Or he just stands round the corner hitting the wall all day. So you can fire away with the cells (hitting him on the edge of his body), and every time he tries to move closer to you, the cells keep knocking him back. The easy way to kill a cyber in any size space using just one corner as cover.

If you have a plasma gun, that is.

I could do that entry level accomplishment in my sleep. Or in a coma. Fuck you I can do that dead. Don't waste our time with this pathetic "milestone" OK?

I don't think anyone forced you to read and reply to this thread Jon. =) Be nice to the guy.

jon^c said:

I could do that entry level accomplishment in my sleep. Or in a coma. Fuck you I can do that dead. Don't waste our time with this pathetic "milestone" OK?

Aren't you just the little ray of sunshine we all need?

fodders said:

Aren't you just the little ray of sunshine we all need?

Keep your kindergarten catch phrases to yourself you filthy UKian.

Little Faith said:

Probably the guy that used to be in charge of Freedoom. Seems like has he left the community now.

that's angel jon, this is devil jon

Best way to beat a cyberdemon is in a field of trees where you can shoot through them with a shotgun but he can't get you with his rockets. Heh, I always loved those wads made with a complete lack of foresight where, in a wide open field -- trees and stuff aside -- the player has to take on a few cacodemons or something.

Fafnir, personally i think it's great you completed ANYTHING in nightmare mode!
Though it seems that everyone here EXCEPT me can, and does, play in Nightmare mode, Ive only tried a few times and it's a bit stressfull to my taste!

I think it's awesome whenever someone moves up a level in any way,

Kudos, and Congrats!

BTW did i mention I'm a Green Marine now? ;)

Grazza said:

Amazing that this is the same guy who wrote this caring and empathizing post.

Oh. Right. The old creepy guy. Angel jon must have written that gem. Not that I'm unable to promulgate some pearly anecdotes of consummate circumspection and incomparable wisdom from time to time myself.

I'm sure PeterH found a nice preschool playground to hide in the shadows of, and is doing perfectly fine adjusting from the "loss" of Katarhyne.

BlueBeast said:

Though it seems that everyone here EXCEPT me can, and does, play in Nightmare mode, Ive only tried a few times and it's a bit stressfull to my taste!

I doubt there's anyone who routinely plays on Nightmare skill on maps they don't already know quite well. Generally you need to have a route planned quite carefully. Some maps play quite nicely on NM, while others are a complete bitch - how they play on UV isn't always much of a guide in that respect.

Yeah. In Nightmare! you have to take into account that monsters are about 5x deadlier, and any backtracking you have to do is going to bring up more monsters that you've probably already killed. Of course, this doesn't apply to E2M8, but some maps are pretty tough.

Anything that's long, narrow, or crowded is probably going to be a real big amount of fun. Anything you have to go back for is probably going to kill you. In my experience, Nightmare! is speedrunning 90% of the time.

jon^c said:

Oh. Right. The old creepy guy. Angel jon must have written that gem. Not that I'm unable to promulgate some pearly anecdotes of consummate circumspection and incomparable wisdom from time to time myself.

I'm sure PeterH found a nice preschool playground to hide in the shadows of, and is doing perfectly fine adjusting from the "loss" of Katarhyne.

hey mantra stop being so fucking nice to everyone you pussy.

Hey Fafnir, did you make fafnir.wad well back in the day, like around '96, '97?

We all (well, most of us) got to this point many years ago... and for Jon, that was probably 8 or 9 years ago.
But then, no matter who you are, when you had trigonometry in school for the first time, it was hard, right? Looking back it is easy now, but then it was difficult. N2m8 is the same thing.
on the other hand, it isn't one of the harder maps....

Doom boss levels, from easiest to hardest on Nightmare:
E2M8
E3M8
E1M8
E4M8

This, of course, is all my opinion.

E3M8 is fairly easy to do Nightmare Pacifist style, since it doesn't matter if the spider kills all the other monsters - they just come back to life and the spider will die in the end.

I wish I knew which one E2M8 is. Isn't it easier to refer to levels by their level number (out of 32)? I'd have to play through the game just to see which levels each episode starts on. And you mean doom2 right? (because I want to try this)

Actually, they're talking about the separate episodes of Ultimate Doom, which is before Doom II. E1 refers to Knee Deep in the Dead, E2 refers to the Shores of Hell, E3 refers to Inferno, and E4 refers to Thy Flesh Consumed. M8 is the map number the bosses are on (8th level) in their respective episode.

If you're asking what level number E2M8, Tower of Babel is, it's level 17.

Ah, now I see. I was actually confusing Final doom with Ultimate doom. Final doom is the one I thought was EXCELLENT, better and harder than doom2. But I never did play those first doom levels. I think they're likely to sucker me in by including that new "thy flesh consumed" episode though. All well, I can't do the nightmare cyberdemon thing for now then.