Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueBeast

No Alpha-Bits with my milk, please

OK, this time i will openly invite the flaming if it's deserved...

I couldn't run the Doom3 Alpha even if i was inclined to look for it, but that suits me fine. I want the game to be as much as a surprise as it can, i'd hate to have actual gameplay ruined for me by playing it before it's release. The technilogical advances shown in the movies are plenty of info to look forward to.

No offense to those who seen/played the Alpha, but i hope id has taken a cue from that little problem, and totally redesigned and/or removed those specific elements from the game, and worked around what everyone thinks they know about the game from fristhand use of the Alpha.

On the bright side, it would be all new/more material for everyone to play later.

I have to say that my respect for the senior members is tarnished, if only slightly, for not only accquiring, but playing and openly discussing the aspects and internals of the upcomming Doom, and this in the very forums so vehemently opposed to the leaked demo. It's seems somewhat hypocritical.

For what it's worth, this post was supposed to be mostly about id changing the aspects found in the alpha... sorry if i stepped on any toes.....
um, i'm just gonna go cower in this corner over here...

Hmm, im 100% sure that we will see the same monsters from Alpha in Doom 3. The same goes for the textures. The same physics (i hope so) as in the Alpha (third level, with ragdoll on fatty zombie and boxes) will be in Doom 3. There will be that very NO USE KEY way to deal with environment that was shown in Alpha also.

Things that might be changed/or to be different from Alpha, imwo:

1 - sound,
2 - some monster animation, and their "behavior",
3 - weapon's effects,

Im also 100% sure that we wont see those Alpha levels in Doom 3. Maybe we will be able to recognize some of the machinery and techstuff from Alpha.

EDIT: OMG, im Forum Regular now!!! Tonight im gonna be drunk!!!

thats you but i feel the demo dint ruin my expectations of the game, if you play it thinking its just an alfa then your ok.
enny way the alfa has got to have some thing to do with the final product cus all the reviews and vids you see are from it ( e3)

also i'd like to ad seeing as the full game is going to be out soon you guys think the alfa subject should still be a taboo when the game or a demo comes out ?

wasted said:

2 - some monster animation, and their "behavior",

hope so cus the ai suxed in the alfa :S

[n00b]plonker said:
hope so cus the ai suxed in the alfa :S

I didnt mean the AI actually. I guess it would be fun to see fatty zombie skraching his ass while standing around the corner, commando zombies checking their ammounition or pinky smelling the air to know where the prey is waiting for him. Just some little tricks with animation which can bring so much to the atmosphere of the game, imwo.

I'm one of those people who HATE to find out anything about a movie or TV show before I see it (other than enough to give me an idea of whether I would like it or not). I'm less fussy about video games, but it is a little dull working your way through a game only to find you already know level 15 (or whatever) because you've played it loads of times in a demo.

For the record, I don't have the alpha. My life isn't long enough to DL it on my modem, but even if I could get it, I think I'd rather wait for the final game.

I don't think the alpha ruined anything for me. All the new footage we saw at E3 looks much cooler than the alpha, and there's plenty of stuff we haven't seen anything of - all those new monsters, most of the weapons, and well, basically the entire game.

I would very much like to see the bathroom scene in the finished product though.

I think the monsters might be tweaked in the final version. The Hell Knight looks bigger in the video, and his legs and feet look different in the newest PC gamer picture of him. Looks better than he did before.

After playing the alpha, my anticipation was raised a lot. There really isn't much content in it, and most of the scenes are scripted but it was still the most atmospheric, scariest piece of game I have ever played.

Nothing in the alpha scared me. Probably because I'd seen everything in the leaked video beforehand, and the fact that the damn thing ran 1-5 fps on my Geforce2MX.

BlueBeast, you didn't miss anything, the alpha didn't really have any gameplay to it. A lot of scripted stuff just designed to show of the engine and create some hype, but there was nothing really to give you a feel for how the game is going to play. At least that's what I got from it.

Lord FlatHead said:

Nothing in the alpha scared me. Probably because I'd seen everything in the leaked video beforehand, and the fact that the damn thing ran 1-5 fps on my Geforce2MX.

yeh thats a bumer but if you can get some more fps then it gets scary, you tryed to oc your gf2 yet ?

I'm getting playable framerates on my current desktop. Something like 5x the framerate I used to get.

Arioch said:

I'm getting playable framerates on my current desktop. Something like 5x the framerate I used to get.

wtf they were that bad ? i only got 2 x more 30fps is now 60 and in fights 10fps is more of a 20 or 30 so no lag :D