Di another day

Di another day  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Di another day

• mockery of the british by comic writers
    • comic writers are out of ideas
    • new low for american culture
    • WTF

well it seems the comic industry either hates the royal family or they are running out of ideas.
the other day, while on the shitter, i grabbed a newspapper from my dad's foot high stack. Nothing had my attention until i got next to the crossword. A article was titled Di another day and was something very humorus.
marvle comics, i think, is going to turn the dead princess Di into a super hero, some sort of undead mutant. I was like "no shit?" and read on. The royal family is rather upset, duh. however this is america and remember we whipped some royal ass.
other than just sounding really lame it is a new low for American culture. I wonder what her powers would be? Anyway the first issue is going to be called Di another day, something that should also piss off the bond people.
The whole thing seems like a satire aimed at the british.

anyway what are your thoughts?

Sephiroth said:

anyway what are your thoughts?

That this is an old newspaper dated April 1st.

There have been some rather tasteless jokes on this topic by British comics and comedians too, so I wouldn't tend to see it as a US vs UK issue.

I heard recently (within this past week) that it was in fact an actual idea from Marvel. However, after a ton of well deserved criticism, they cancelled it.

What's the betting that when Stan Lee dies, Marvel turn him into a superhero?

"Her body was a temple. She would never put anything foreign inside her"

- The spastic butler on claims of Di abusing drugs.

Either you get it, or you don't.

I just remembered, a couple of years ago the British comic 2000AD ran a satirical strip called B.L.A.I.R. 1 (a "re-interpretation" of a much earlier strip called M.A.C.H. 1), where Prime Minster Tony Blair was turned into a bionic superhero with all kinds of fancy abilities and computer inside his head :)

I heard they tried to sell the back seat of the Mercedes that Diana died in to souvenir hunters. However, no-one took up the offer.

Reason? It was covered in Di. :-P

Tasteless, tasteless.

There's this one Marvel artist that's big on satire. This "Di Another Day" thing was going to be a big take on the celebrity-obsessed public eye.

But like you say, they cancelled it. It was planned, but the uproar pretty much killed it.

i don't see how this is a UK vs US thing. i can't say it's tasteless either since i never saw the comic. i don't have any problems with a comic making fun of dead people myself.

IMJack said:

It was planned, but the uproar pretty much killed it.

Hmmm, IMO the uproar would be a damn good reason not to kill it. There's no such thing as bad publicity. Unless of course they already got enough publicity from announcing it, and have now been seen to be the good guys with common sense prevailing when they cancelled it. Who knows? Maybe it was never really a serious suggestion, simply a publicity stunt to grab a few headlines and then "cancel" the project due to popular demand.

I have to confess, I'm always cynical when someone grabs headlines over something that is supposedly bad taste. I'm pretty damn sure as often as not it is done for the shock value. A cold, calculating act designed to get publicity. Nothing genuinely outrageous at all.

Grogglogobofink said:

i don't see how this is a UK vs US thing.

Well, living in NE Scotland, I have to say I saw more Americans on the TV upset about Diana's death than I did local people around here. That's not to say there wasn't a huge public display of grief in London and other parts of the UK (there was) but up here we tend to have less empathy and less in the way of public demonstrations of support for the royals than elsewhere in the country. Unless you live in Ballater and Braemar (about 50 - 70 miles from here) where the royals go for their holidays. Support there is V strong.

darknation said:

Dodi Fayed doesn't count? :P

darknation said:

includeing exotic sex toys? i find that hard to believe

Sephiroth said:

i wonder what super powers she would have had? I am sure her weakness would have been speeding

lmao

I know the next supervillian! The evil limo driver!!

it was going to be in an issue of x-statix, a comic that doesn't sell for shit anyway, written by peter milligan, who, as imjack said, was aiming for satire, and wrote the thing as a commentary on celebrity worship. (it might be worth noting that he's really not a bad writer, in my opinion, when he's not just obviously hacking it.)