Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimm

Outdoorsy WADs

Anyone know where I can pick up some good WADS that take place entirely or largely outdoors? (And don't say SKYEWOOD, I've already played it.)

Yep, having waded through all of them... (the desert one was really good and the marathon one wasn't bad, although I wasn't impressed with the other three)

I liked the dl*.wads, though.

Dwspd17 (Doomworld Speedmapping 17) map01.

That was back when we all thought Fredrik was going to be the new god of Doom mapping. He sure owned the speedmapping contest.

Dark Covenant is good....very large levels, and a lot of them feature travelling around large "fields" a lot.....I dunno where to find it tho :/

There are lots and lots of wads that are mostly outdoors, so perhaps you could be more specific. Are you thinking of urban areas, or more natural surroundings, with trees, grass, hills, caves, mountains, rivers, etc.?

Rubilaxce: Dark Covenant is here (pretty much where you'd expect it to be). Some nice demos here.

I'm specifically looking for natural surroundings. Thanks to everyone who replied!

Heh, as soon as I saw your name I knew you'd put up the Super Sonic Doom demo. :P

Grimm said:

I'm specifically looking for natural surroundings.

Off the top of my head I'd suggest Herian2, Earth.wad, some parts of Fragport and a few levels in Hacx.

I can't think of many maps that take place in purely natural surroundings though - i.e. no buildings at all.

I can't think of many maps that take place in purely natural surroundings though - i.e. no building at all.

Heh, I'll have to change that then. Dunno why that's so, though; outdoor WADs are so easy to make.

Grimm said:

....outdoor WADs are so easy to make.

Perhaps they are easy to make, but they don't offer as much in terms of visual appeal (unless you use custom textures & flats) and gameplay. With the limitations of DooM/2.exe, realistic-looking outdoor areas are difficult to achieve, with the exception of canyons (with their vertical walls). Now ZDooM, on the other hand, offers much more potential.

Speaking of outdoor areas and ZDooM, the Sidaar River Canyons (one of the maps in Dawn: A Prelude) was a fairly vast outdoor map with a desert and canyon theme, and a few buildings and structures thrown in. This page has a bunch of pics and this page has a couple.

with the exception of canyons

Dammit, you read my mind! But no, seriously, I agree. You definately have to use custom stuff. It'll also get boring if the gameplay let's the player kinda just roam. The key is to . . . uh . . . "nudge" the player along, heh. I think I could still put a good level together under the original exe, but slopes and swimmable water definately help.