Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gokuma

Microsoft is a friggin wally molesting estupido goit baka wanker horde of hosers!

I thought 3 player PC games (or 6 player Legacy) without a lan or the internet was within my grasp.

I simply tried connecting two computers with a serial cable and establishing an ipx network with direct cable connection while one of those computers connects to another over modem through dial-up networking and establishes an ipx network. It simply doesn't work.

Attempt 1: One computer hosts serial connection and then dial-up connection.
Result: Will not answer the phone line.

Attempt 2: One computer hosts dial-up connection and then serial connection.
Result: Serial connection doesn't connect.

Attempt 3: One computer hosts serial connection and then dials up a computer hosting dial-up connection (like a daisy chain).
Result: After the modems get done making noises and seem about to successfully establish a connection, the dialing computer immediately disconnects and you get this message, "Disconnect from other connection."

Other possible attempts I didn't try but probably aren't likely to work:
4: One computer dials up a host and then the last computer connects through serial to that first client computer.
5: One computer dials up a host and then connects through serial to another host.
6: One computer connects through serial to a host and then dials up another host.

Can anyone think of a way to connect three computers together (which are not all in the same household) with a combination of modem/serial without using the internet or setting up a lan? I know you can do a serial daisy chain with this HX8 utility for Doom. Maybe that might work for a serial modem combo but probably not. There's some info on it in Legacy docs.

BTW, a combination of a lan and dial-up networking won't work, because I have to completely uninstall my lan card AND THEN remove and re-add all my network protocols for dial-up networking to work like this.

Run Major BBS, install game connection with Doom2 support, use serial cable to connect to that with sirdoom and dial into modem from outside household with sirdoom, works fine. Log into host BBS go to game connection and run game.

Cool thanks. I found sirdoom but could you give me a link to the Game Connection v1.46 or better and Major BBS software? I can't find a working link for Game Connection and I'm not sure what to download for Major BBS.

I noticed sirdoom is designed for four player games. Could I play a four player game with two computers in each of the two households (or is it designed for three in one house and one elsewhere)? And can I do this or something like this with games or versions of doom other than vanilla Doom? Establishing ipx I can just use universally for everything would be very cool.

Look for sirius they made game connection.And world groups You set up one computer as BBS then others connect, 1 via serial the other 2 would dial in, so you will need 2 modems to receive the calls.

Thanks. Interesting stuff. I got another idea before I go through the trouble of tracking all that software down though.

I'm simply going to plug a second modem into my comp (external 56K one) and see if dial-up networking will let me properly host two connections. I know dial-up server will have another tab for the second modem.

Also, I heard a combination of a lan and dial-up networking will work if the server has a static ip, but it's tcp only, which doesn't do much good since most of my favorite stuff is ipx only.

Aaaarrggh! Microsoft is STILL a friggin wally molesting estupido goit baka wanker horde of hosers!

I installed a second modem on my computer and set both to allow caller access in dial-up server. I wanted to record a 3 player demo in Strife to imbed in the updated version of lamasery.wad I'm about release, but I got the same old bullshit. Once one person connected to me. The other modem refused to answer a call from the third person. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

So I'm only going to have a two player demo embedded in the wad and it's not a very even match.

Use Zdaemon, all connect and play. Or Doom Connector or IDE or Skulltag, Jeez there are so many ways to record a 3 way demo.

Well Strife so I'd have to use some ipx simulator like Kahn, Kali, MSN Gaming Zone, or Gamespy, and it would be lagged (especially with all the monsters in my level) since the two people I was going to record with and I are only on dial-up. And one doesn't have internet access right now.

So what the stuff you mentioned is probably the best (and only) bet outside of using the internet or bringing all the comps together and setting up a lan.