Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deldelda

Command-lines?

I don't know what a Command-line is. When ppl say, "Load Doom with this Command-line to get no monsters", what do they mean?

Generally, people are talking about the "DOS prompt" command line. To use it effectively, you have to open the DOS or command session, then "change directories" to where you have your doom.exe. Win98 has a DOS Prompt selection in the menu, Win2000 has it buried deeper, I think in system tools and it's called "CMD".

If you manage to get the DOS box open, note the prompt, it may be something like c:\windows>_ which means you are "in" the windows directory (folder) on your C drive. Use the CD (change directory) command to get to your doom folder. For example, from c:\windows, type cd \games\doom (put the correct path to your doom) and hit enter. You should now see the prompt c:\games\doom>_ and from here you will type doom -nomonsters and hit enter.

You can avoid the DOS or CMD prompt and use a shortcut. Use Windows explorer, go to your doom folder. Find doom.exe (or zdoom.exe or whatever port) and right click on it and "create shortcut". Now, right click on the shortcut you made and add -nomonsters to the target. That's doom -nomonsters with a space after doom. You might want to drag that shortcut to your desktop for convenience.

Biffy said:

Win98 has a DOS Prompt selection in the menu, Win2000 has it buried deeper, I think in system tools and it's called "CMD".

"Command Prompt", under Programs->Accessories

You can also select 'Run' from the start menu and your command line's there too, but you'll have to type in the full folder name.

If you're using Win95 or 98, use the File Manager instead - you can choose 'Run' from the File menu and type your command line stuff there, but you won't need to type in the folder name.