Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grimm

Hexen-ish Levels

Hello, I was wondering if there are any levels out there that are like the levels from Hexen. I like all of 'em a lot, but I specifically like and am looking for levels akin to the second hub, the Forest/Outdoorsy one (especially the Swamp level), and the fourth hub.

Hey, I bought Hexen just two days ago!
I heard a lot about it and now I get to see if it is really all that great...

I've only played the first map yet but already I recognized alot of textures I remember seeing in Doom Pwads.
Herian 2 comes to mind...

You will not be disappointed. However, you might be confused in places, especially parts of Shadow Wood.

I was never completely stuck in Shadow Wood, but I was lost a few times. I just ended up goin' abouts randomly. I didn't mind, though, 'cause I love the Shadow Wood levels so much.

I did get stuck stuck a few times in the Herisach's Seminary (just the Hub itself) and Gibbitude, I think. It was the one with the headless statue.

You know, that's the one thing I don't like about Hexen - it seems to me there are far too many puzzles to solve, and it's very easy to get one's self lost.
That Swamp Level you refer to is Darkmere and it has to be one of the most recognizable levels ever made with the Doom engine.

Grimm said:

Uh, what, exactly do you mean by that? Just outta curiousity?

You're referring to my post I assume. What I meant is that you can take a look at Darkmere and instantly your mind goes "Hey it's that really cool atmospheric swamp level from Hexen!" In other words, you don't need to look twice :)

My only beef is with the main puzzle to get to the Hypostyle. I have a real hard time finding ALL 6 switches.

Before you can find all of the switches, you have to first find all three keys, since each switch is behind a locked door. If you can't find one, go back to Shadow Wood to the door which leads to the Hypostyle. You'll see six panels. The two green ones represent Darkmere. The two dark brown ones represent Caves of Circe, and the two light brown represent Wastelands. If one of them isn't lit, then look on the map that that panel corresponds to. When all six are lit, the door opens (as well as a secret door where you found the Platinum Helmet).

As for Hexen type maps for Doom, the only one that even remotely looks like one (mainly because of some of the monsters used) is map 2 of tnt3.wad. I'm sure there are others out there, but I can't think of any right now.

I guess that level was somewhat Hexen-ish.

What I meant is that you can take a look at Darkmere and instantly your mind goes "Hey it's that really cool atmospheric swamp level from Hexen!" In other words, you don't need to look twice :)

Heh, I understand. Man, I love that level! I wish someone would take the them of that level and expand into a bigger level(s). I'd do it myself, but I don't think I have the skills.

I've been playing Hexen for a few hours yesterday.

The CD-ROM I bought contained Hexen95. Are there any other source port available for Hexen (or it that illegal?)

BTW, are there source ports for Heretic (besides Legacy)?

JHeretic, JHexen, and ZDoom (works for both) are a few.

I actually don't think Hexen is that hard at all. The puzzles in my opinion do take time to find, but they aren't too hard. Fun game :)

Grimm said:

Hello, I was wondering if there are any levels out there that are like the levels from Hexen.

This may be off-topic, but there's a 3-level medieval wadset using HeXen2 textures and flats. It's called A Hex on You, and info & pics can be found here.

Grimm said:

Hello, I was wondering if there are any levels out there that are like the levels from Hexen. I like all of 'em a lot, but I specifically like and am looking for levels akin to the second hub, the Forest/Outdoorsy one (especially the Swamp level), and the fourth hub.

Herian and Herian 2. (mainly because they're based on those textures)

Rubilacxe said:

I actually don't think Hexen is that hard at all.

You obviously haven't played with the Korax mod then....

Korax mod with the fighter is actually quite easy (it helps to get the Heart of D'Sparil), although I haven't tried it with Deathkings of the Dark Citadel. By the way, they're almost ready to release version 2.6.

What is the Korax mod? I recently got Hexen for the computer (selling my N64 version in the process) and I'd like to try it out.

Heh, Hexen is a lot easier with a keyboard.

It's a mod which adds some RPG elements to the game (attribute points, level increase, spells, monsters dropping gold and silver to be used to buy artifacts). There aren't any new maps or enemies, but it changes the way the game is played, and some monsters have greater health (and a couple much greater).

And Hexen is a lot easier with the mouse.

Ichor said:

True, but Grimm mentioned the N64 version of Hexen, so I assume he's talking about Hexen being a lot easier with the keyboard than with a gamepad.

I know. In other words, Hexen with:

mouse > joystick (until it breaks) > keyboard > Nintendo 64 controller

Actually, the Nintendo 64 controller is probably easier than just the keyboard, since with the N64 controller you at least have analog control over movement. So:

mouse > joystick (until it breaks) > Nintendo 64 controller > keyboard

Man, that looks weird. :P

Grimm said:

What is the Korax mod?

In addition to what Ichor said, it makes the three characters extremely different from one another - the fighter can eventually kill everyone with his fists but burns mana very quickly, the mage can get killed with one shot but has a lot of spells and uses very little mana for weapons. The cleric is somewhere in between but his spells are more offensive than the mage spells (but fewer in number).

If your PC can run Doomsday, grab the mod at:

http://www.korax-heritage.com

(it comes with it's own version of jHexen but make sure you don't have any other versions of jHexen in your Hexen folder)

Oh, and Hexen is better with the keyboard.

Ichor said:

It's a mod which adds some RPG elements to the game (attribute points, level increase, spells, monsters dropping gold and silver to be used to buy artifacts). There aren't any new maps or enemies, but it changes the way the game is played, and some monsters have greater health (and a couple much greater).

awesome indeed. I started a game with each character (on skill 5 of course) not many problems yet, asides from the fact that dark bishops are not fun to fight with my mage.. grr,,

Dark Bishops kick buttocks. They look cool and I love that chanting sound they make when they get you in their sights, and that spiraling magic attacks of theirs is very cool indeed.
However, yes, like you said, in a small group, or on skill 5, they can be a major pain.

Grimm said:

Don't know if this is exactly what you had in mind, but try these:

Hellrazor
Blackgate