Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Realistically speaking? Hell...

Recommended Posts

These days, it's not really easy to get a hold of Doom anymore short of going online to purchase it. What if you have a computer but no internet access (somehow, someway...)? How can you legitimately buy any of the Dooms? I have a couple of them that I bought in '95 on, but I can only imagine that it's something you won't see occupying shelf space at your local Electronics Boutique. Poor Kaaza downloading warez monkeez.

Share this post


Link to post

actually they just rereleased all the dooms, it has ultimate doom and doom 2 for sure, and i think it has final doom as well. they still have a bunch of them at my local software etc. for like 15 bucks each, so yeah, you can buy them at a store, just have to find a store that has it. shouldn't be hard if you have an actual computer game store in your local area.

Share this post


Link to post

Ask one of your friends who does have internet access to order it for you. In this day and age, at least one person you know a should be on the 'net :)

Or if you don't have any friends or something, use an internet cafe.

Share this post


Link to post

Ask one of your friends who does have internet access to order it for you. In this day and age, at least one person you know a should be on the 'net :)


Heh, that's what I did for my friend. Got him The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 for a little over 10 dollars. Heh, that reminds, me, I gotta remember to post something funny about Doom 2's box . . .

Has anyone ever noticed how shitty id's screenshots are for Doom? The ones on the back of the boxes are pretty bad, and the ones on the website are HORRIBLE!

Share this post


Link to post

The screenies on the Ultimate DOOM box were just fine, msot likely done with Doom95 @640x480 (though 640x400 would be better still, as it's the exact multiple of the original res).

The screens in Final DOOM box or the CE box are nothing to write home about, indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Grimm said:

Has anyone ever noticed how shitty id's screenshots are for Doom? The ones on the back of the boxes are pretty bad, and the ones on the website are HORRIBLE!

Um, I've seen id's Doom screenies, and they don't look THAT bad. The ones on the site don't look all that bad either, IMO, though they somehow seem discolored.

Share this post


Link to post
Job said:

I can only imagine that it's something you won't see occupying shelf space at your local Electronics Boutique.

Sure it is. I see it everytime I go in there, it's nice to see it sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post

Riddle me this!... is Final Doom (PC) really worth $15? Original issue, no box, manual... just the disc and case. I can't remember how it was when I used to own the PS version, so many years ago...

Anyway, Ebay's a wonderful tool. Online shopping iz teh roxxors.

As I own the old issues of Ultimate, Doom 2 and the Master levels, Collector's Doom doesn't have much to offer, it seems... was it several discs, or just on one?...

Share this post


Link to post
Cecillia said:

Riddle me this!... is Final Doom (PC) really worth $15? Original issue, no box, manual... just the disc and case.
Anyway, Ebay's a wonderful tool.


Definitely worth it. But if you check Half.com, you'll find it for $8.

A I own the old issues of Ultimate, Doom 2 and the Master levels, Collector's Doom doesn't have much to offer, it seems... was it several discs, or just on one?...


Collector's Edition is a POS. It doesn't even provide the original executables, stay away from it. It is a single CDROM, btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Never_Again said:

Collector's Edition is a POS. It doesn't even provide the original executables, stay away from it. It is a single CDROM, btw.


That sucks, that it only comes with the shitty doom95 crap. Luckily, Zdoom always saves the day!

Share this post


Link to post
Never_Again said:

Definitely worth it. But if you check Half.com, you'll find it for $8.



Collector's Edition is a POS. It doesn't even provide the original executables, stay away from it. It is a single CDROM, btw.



What's the problem? Download the shareware version and you have the old DOS-Exe. Does anybody really use this low resolution version except for Dehacked editing or demo playback? I can't play in 320x200 anymore. It gives me a headache...

Share this post


Link to post

The problem is the shareware exec is not the same as the Ultimate DOOM executable. There may be all the original execs somewhere out there but what about ppl who don't know where to d/l them?

320x200 may be giving you headache because your refresh rate is too low. DOOM levels usually look silly at any higher res, as there is simply not enough detail - leaving everything look barren - and the graphics are all low res anyway.

Share this post


Link to post

Actually the Doom95 versions do...

look somewhere in the cd and you'll find something like XXdoom2.exe or something.

Share this post


Link to post

Collector's Edition was not a POS. I mean, that's what source ports are for. Anyways, I needed a way to legally obtain the entire Doom collection, which I can now proudly say I own :P. I mean, sure, I still see Doom 2 in the jewel case at a lot of places (oh, how many times have I purchased that thing), but there's nowhere else to get Doom 1 or Final Doom without resorting to the Internet (actually, I haven't even seen the Collector's Edition lately; I'm glad I bought it when I did).

Share this post


Link to post
geekmarine said:

Collector's Edition was not a POS. I mean, that's what source ports are for. Anyways, I needed a way to legally obtain the entire Doom collection, which I can now proudly say I own :P. I mean, sure, I still see Doom 2 in the jewel case at a lot of places (oh, how many times have I purchased that thing), but there's nowhere else to get Doom 1 or Final Doom without resorting to the Internet (actually, I haven't even seen the Collector's Edition lately; I'm glad I bought it when I did).


Yeah, it seems that doom2 is the most popular out of all the dooms. I agree, too, since Doom2 simply had more stuff than doom1 and Final Doom was just a couple of Megawads with no new guns, enemies, and the same darn boss! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Assmaster said:

You can pick up the collectors edition in many large stores.


That's what i got at my local software etc.

Share this post


Link to post
geekmarine said:

I mean, sure, I still see Doom 2 in the jewel case at a lot of places (oh, how many times have I purchased that thing), but there's nowhere else to get Doom 1 or Final Doom without resorting to the Internet


Right! That damn evil Internet - our pastor warns us against that "Satan's playground", too! Stay away from it.

Share this post


Link to post

I can buy doom still at media play around where i live they have old and new games there, thats where i got quake 1 a year or 2 ago.

Share this post


Link to post

i just went down the street and got BBG's copy and put it on my comp witch didnt have the internet at the time. ow well yeah my comps sucks so what

Share this post


Link to post
Serial_Killer said:

i just went down the street and got BBG's copy and put it on my comp witch didnt have the internet at the time. ow well yeah my comps sucks so what


Nah, your computer doesn't suck, it can run Doom. If it sucked, it'd be only able to load Wolfenstein 3d :-P

Share this post


Link to post
BBG said:

Nah, your computer doesn't suck, it can run Doom. If it sucked, it'd be only able to load Wolfenstein 3d :-P


My old 386sx25 with a 40 meg HD (and upgraded to 4 meg ram) sucked, and that could run DooM.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×