Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sniper joe

Zdoom 47i?

no. just wait until 48.cab is released. well i guess it's legal, since it's free software. but it is a beta and not everyone is supposed to have it.

Grogglogobofink said:

but it is a beta and not everyone is supposed to have it.

Sarge, you don't have to worry about sharing it at this point, Randy is not concerned about who does and who does not have 47i (that's why your Zoom team has it now). The changes from 47.cab to 47i.cab are the result of repeated multiplayer tests, capturing demos and debug files, while Randy rooted out some causes of consistency failures and also addressed network issues related to firewalls, etc. The 47a - 47i had to be passed around to the extent that multiplayer tests require multiple players. :) Since there has been nothing more on the multiplayer test agenda for some weeks, it's now an appropriate time to let everyone have a taste of the uncapped framerate and improved netcode. If you pass it around, be sure to include my writeup on the new net play command line arguments.

God that uncapped frame rate is sweet. It's freakin' incredible. More than ever, it really feels like you're in the game.

netnomad312 said:

As do I. And... just about everyone I know who plays ZDoom...

Do you know me o_O (inquizitive look) ?

On Map03 with the old 47.cab I had tons of consitency errors on 3 players coop.

Just out of curosity, would it be able to cap the framerate, like a cvar or something, so when I play net games on slower and mixed machines, it would run ok?

Yes you can cap the framerate. cl_capfps=true. As far as I know there is no reason to cap the framerate to help slower machines...but I could be wrong. It made a difference when I played Quake2, was important to cap the framerate so I wouldn't overload my modem connection and lag out, but Randy didn't indicate that there was any connection between data rate and fps with 47i. He did point out that you could now use -dup2 or -dup3, etc, and it would no longer affect the frame rate although it supposedly did affect (reduce) the data rate in number of packets per second.

I noticed that if you capped the frame rate the keyboard seemed to respond quicker.

Someone else noticed this and was reporting it on the zdoom forums, saying that they had some "turning lag" with 47i which they didn't have with 47. Capping the framerate helped, he said. For me, there is no lag whatsoever with uncapped framerate and I get about 80 fps looking at a wall at 1024x768.

I found that playing in a window (full size window) causes some sort of lag or roughness to the controls, and switching to fullscreen makes that go away.

Biffy said:

Someone else noticed this and was reporting it on the zdoom forums, saying that they had some "turning lag" with 47i which they didn't have with 47. Capping the framerate helped, he said. For me, there is no lag whatsoever with uncapped framerate and I get about 80 fps looking at a wall at 1024x768.

I found that playing in a window (full size window) causes some sort of lag or roughness to the controls, and switching to fullscreen makes that go away.

Yeah, I remember the thread about the turning lag. However, I have verified that it only does this to me with large wads, like Massmouth 2. I seriously need to get a faster computer. :P

Heh,I can't run 1280 x 1024 in Fullscreen. I hope I don't get lag.

When is 48.cab comin' out anyway? He's managed to not have an update this whole summer.

Hey Xaser, yeah I remember it was you making those observations.

I have no clue why zdoom doesn't run so well windowed on my machine, and I wouldn't have found it out except that massm2 causes a problem with 47i which requires you to start in a window, then go fullscreen.

48.cab? Wish I knew, it could be a day or a month or? However, 47i has most of what people were needing, particularly the multiplayer fixes to reduce consistency failures.

If you pass it around, be sure to include my writeup on the new net play command line arguments.

I have 47i, but just the executable(got the wad and fmod from old 47.cab). We've been dm'n with it for a few days now. Could you put up your write-up of it somewhere online or email it to me at will@mail.cfcc.net. I would really appreciate it. I'm really interested in the new agruments ..

OK, here you go..

There is a new command line argument, -netmode 1. It's of increasing benefit with increasing numbers of players beyond two. -netmode 0 is the original p2p behavior, -netmode 1 routes all traffic through the host and does not require each machine to talk to all other machines.
My typical command line when hosting is zdoom -host 3 -netmode 1 -extratic and whatever else you want. Using -extratic for added insurance that data won't be dropped (prevent consistency failure?), also may use -dup 2 if a client on the internet has enough latency to slow the game. With 47i, -dup does not cause a loss of frame rate as it used to do.

To host from behind a router, all you need to do is forward port 5029 to your machine. Randy's fixed the network negotiation so that you can host and be seen by machines on a LAN and on the internet as well...everything goes through the host because there is no way for internet players to see any machine on the LAN except for the host (no port forwarding for them). So there should be very few hosting problems.

There is also some player prediction code in this version, you'll notice cl_noprediction=false in the ini file by default (prediction is active).

Also you'll see cl_capfps=false. Set to true to cap framerate to 35 fps.

Grimm said:

When is 48.cab comin' out anyway? He's managed to not have an update this whole summer.

What about give the man a break?. Maybe he wanted to have a free summer?.