Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Boot times

Just out of curiosity, how long does it usually take you to load your computer all the way up, e.g., from the box being turned off, to being at your desktop? I figure it takes me about 25 seconds.

About two minutes, but it's not a big deal since I only do it once a day.

It used to be far worse when I had soundfonts load at startup (takes an additional 2-3 minutes). Fortunately new drivers changed that such that soundfonts now load when they're needed.

About 10-15 seconds (WinXP) but shutting down takes over a minute :-?

laptop
20 seconds with win2000 however it takes a horribly long time to shut down

linux is also around 20 seconds, shorter if i am connected to the network.

Dos takes 5 seconds or less

main system

windows2000 takes about 20 and the same with linux.

About 20-30 seconds. It takes only 5 seconds or so to shut down, and even less time to go to DOS mode. Going from DOS mode to Windows 98, it takes around 15 seconds.

Damnit, where do all those short boot times come from? Are you sure you timed them? I always thought mine was about 30-45 seconds until I did :D

And I'm using Windows 2000, that might be it.

XP + fast processor = quick boot.

Mine is about 16 seconds. It had been 18 seconds, but I downloaded a tool (bootVis-tool.exe) to optimize it.

There are some questions of definition here though. I think the boot time as defined by that tool was the time to get the basic functionality; there is some further activity after that point.

link

A little above 3 minutes I'm guessing.
No big deal, just set it and forget it.

For my main computer... about 30 seconds either way, I think. Only I wouldn't know for sure because it's a laptop and I usually just switch it to standby until I use it again...

4-5 minutes on a good day. 500mhz isn't all that fast anymore.

Haven't clocked it, but I'd say about 20 seconds from cold system to the Win2k login screen.

it's ironic, on winXP you can finally dynamically change your ip without rebooting, but it only takes a few seconds to reboot now.
P4 -- about 20 seconds, maybe a bit longer
P2 -- about 40 seconds.

Who cares about boot times? As fredrik said, it's only done once a day (or even only every couple days).

I don't have a computer, but this one takes about 4 minutes to get to the desktop from the logon screen. Wehn turning it on, it takes too long to even bother timing.
I knew someone who's computer took more than 20 minutes to load, his computer was *&^%ed though.. If it crashed during a game, losing the game would be only a small problem you would have.
he formatted though to fix it... I don't know why he waited over a month to do that.

KoRn said:

I don't have a computer

omg how r u on the intarweb?????///!!!11

Tyockell said:

10 mins

Dude you need to do some serious msconfigging, uninstalling or reformatting. 10 minutes to boot your comp up is not good.

pritch said:

with login, 30 seconds. Without, less than 20.

I'm about the same

Around two to three minutes, because of error messages. My ethernet card is using the wrong, albeit working drivers, which I can't fix. And a failed upgrade to the video card added a new error... and it always complains about bad sectors. It takes too long to defragment and scan, though...

My PC is fucked then. A 2GHz processor and XP shouldn't take over 5 minutes for a full fucking boot. I am sure theres lots of shit in the registry to do on startup. That's probably it.

I recounted, and it takes exactly 2 minutes to boot up after all background progs are loaded.

I have an AMD Athlon XP (t-bred b core) 2100+ running at 1667 Mhz (about 5% underclock), 512Mb DDR SDRAM, WD 80 gig drive w/ 8mb buffer and XP Home (OEM version, costed me $96 @ newegg.com)

Here's a quick note - if you think you're elite (or worse yet, 1337) and you've gone about disabling services in XP, go back in and set them all (with the rare exception, like the ATI services for Radeons, the Creative CD-ROM service, and Messenger) to manual instead of disabled. Most of my friends didn't believe me, so I did it for them while they slept at a LAN game. The next morning...

"Dude! My system booted in like ten seconds!"

My system boots in around 12 or 15 seconds, or about 4 seconds when I come from hibernation.