Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Nerds To Play Doom 3

More or less. Activision sent out a press release this morning advertising the news that at this year's annual QuakeCon, attendees will have the chance to partake in some presumably-four-way shadowy deathmatch action. Doom at a Quake convention? Has the world gone mad? To wit:

Santa Monica, CA – July 24, 2003 – Prepare for DOOM 3™! id Software™ and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) are bringing DOOM 3 to QuakeCon 2003. The world’s most legendary multiplayer gaming event will host the first-ever opportunity for fans to play DOOM 3 multiplayer. In Dallas at the Adam’s Mark Hotel from Aug. 14 – 17, QuakeCon attendees will go toe-to-toe at the Activision/id Software booth in the ultimate sneak preview of the most anticipated game ever.

“What better way to celebrate QuakeCon than to unveil to our fans a preview of DOOM 3 multiplayer,” said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. “While everyone knows that DOOM 3 is the most terrifying and scary single player experience ever created, multiplayer delivers the intense competitive action that our fans can count on. It’s a natural to debut the DOOM 3 multiplayer experience at QuakeCon, the world’s preeminent fan-based multiplayer gaming event.”

QuakeCon attendees will have the chance to play DOOM 3’s four-player Deathmatch on a level co-developed by id Software and U.K.-based developer Splash Damage, Ltd. Splash Damage has most recently worked with id Software on Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, and will be co-developing DOOM 3’s multiplayer levels.

So if you're going, get ready to set phasers to fun! Tie up those jaws so they don't hit the floor! Break out the kleenex to wipe up the drool! Or something.

Ah nuts! And me without enough plane fare to the event.

That's pretty sweet!

Although I was hoping for a public Doom3 demo being released during QuakeCon. Now I'll have to settle for some reviews from lucky Quakecon attendees. That should be pretty interesting as well, of course.

Where did you get this piece of news from? I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the Net.

Zoorado said:

Where did you get this piece of news from?

Linguica said:

Activision sent out a press release this morning

Nice to see that multiplayer is indeed intended to be 4-player and that Splash Damage will be developing with id.

Ha ha, and to think that this will be the first QuakeCon I'm attending... w00t! I'm going, w00t!

So, will they try to let everyone have a chance to play, or only a select few?

TeamKill said:

Ha ha, and to think that this will be the first QuakeCon I'm attending... w00t! I'm going, w00t!

So, will they try to let everyone have a chance to play, or only a select few?

Leak that demo baby!

Todd Hollenshead said
While everyone knows that DOOM 3 is the most terrifying and scary single player experience ever created

rofl, tormentor667 has finally been defeated in the ego department! and he should realize there's a difference between scary and 'startling people by making guys come out from hidden places in pitch plack rooms'.

I'm sure they'll let as many people as possible play, but I'm also sure they've taken plenty of steps to NOT allow the demo to be leaked.

/me crosses his fingers and prays otherwise.

I won't be going myself but I should have a MancuNET correspondent on the scene to let me know what's up and get video and images of the entire event.

Why again are they limiting Multiplayer to 4 players? It seems like such a large step backwards... Even if its a mainly SP game.

mystery8 said:

Why again are they limiting Multiplayer to 4 players? It seems like such a large step backwards... Even if its a mainly SP game.

We've received word that they want to intentionally frustrate MMORPG players.

Hmm, I want to watch the doom dms like you can watch the quake matches at quakecon... I wonder if there will be some sort of shoutcast or broadcast of them, I say some kind because we obviously can't watch them with the exe.

Ralphis said:

Leak that demo baby!

Hell no!
If they allow me to take pictures, then I will. But I sure as all hell am not going to go against them.

Just think, in years to come people will have to make source ports to allow for 32+ Players ala zDooM3, :D Anyway the original DooM was limited to 4...

A game with graphics of such a caliber would probably be rather sluggish with 16 players in a server.

Who knows in five years, we may have such a computing power and internet bandwidth that we could have a 32 players Doom3 multiplayer.

I'm sure we will. It'll be the same way the original doom was. State of the art technology now, looked at as crap (by the general public) in a few years.

There are restrictions to the progress of technology, of course. We'll never be able to play with 100 synchronized frames per second against someone on the other side of the globe, simply because we're ultimately limited by the speed of light in how quickly information can be transfered.