Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThunderOrb

Another Random Thought Of The Day

They say that death is supposed to be so great and that life is shit and all. Ya know, in the bible, going to heaven...best thing to happen. So tell me this, if death is so great then why do we have doctors? doesn't that defeat the purpose of dieing? Doctors are there to save lives. Death is great, but low and behold, we want you to suffer here on earth longer! I think doctors are hiding something from us. Damn governments. Damn liars. Damn population. Damn doctors. Damn random thoughts that turn into rants. Damn it all.

P.S. Damn

I was considering it, but I'll give it a chance, 'cos I'm a big softy. Who knows, maybe some interesting discussion will ensue?

Well, I mean...seriously. People are afraid of death. Why is this though? We are always told that when you die you go to heaven or hell. The fear of death isn't exactly a worry of going to hell. So what is it? Is it an unexplainable instinct to survive and pass on your genes? As for doctors, they are a contradiction. We are told it is a great thing to die, yet we have all these doctors there to save our lives. I know I am thankful for doctors, but that is besides the point. The point is we say one message, yet display another. It doesn't make sense. Why have doctors if death is supposed to be so good? Just IMO.

ThunderOrb said:

Well, I mean...seriously. People are afraid of death. Why is this though? We are always told that when you die you go to heaven or hell.

I never was

The fear of death isn't exactly a worry of going to hell. So what is it?

I believe it's a "fear of death"

Is it an unexplainable instinct to survive and pass on your genes?

Yes

Why have doctors if death is supposed to be so good? Just IMO.

Who the hell said death is supposed to be so good? Can you please point me towards this pro-death popular culture I seem to have been missing all my life? Is there a highly rated "Mad About Death" TV show? Is Dr. Kervorkian TIME's man of the year? Did the government fund a "teen suicide is the answer" ad campaign?

i think what he means by "death is great" is for the populous that is going to "Heaven" death is great. otherwise, for the people that are going to hell, death isnt so great.

my interpretation right there

"Everybody wants to go to heaven,
but nobody wants to die."
-?

Some poeple do kill themselfs because their life sucks so much they hope to find happiness outside this life. But most simply belief that there are still joys to be lived in this world.

So tell me this, if death is so great then why do we have doctors? doesn't that defeat the purpose of dieing?

There actually are people that refuse medical help because of their beliefs. Getting cancer is gods will and stuff like that (scary people).

Anyway, most religions tell us "life=suffering" but we also have a purpose in life. We are not here by accident we have something to do. Then we can die.
"What's the purpose of being?"
I don't know you figure it out!

Linguica said:

Can you please point me towards this pro-death popular culture I seem to have been missing all my life?

/me points to Jonestown.

Maybe it's because deep down inside we all know that religeon is a lie?

I dont believe in anything, I do believe in alien life forms but I mean as in religion to me its all bullshit we are just another lifeform on this forsaken planet, we are not any different than any other creature then the fact that we know how to destroy ourselves and that were good at fucking up our planet. Death isent great because as far as im concerned after we die thats it, "blank" and for what?.. once your family and relatives die then...who gives a fuck? no one! so no death isent great death sucks life is all that we have and thats it.

Linguica said:

Can you please point me towards this pro-death popular culture I seem to have been missing all my life?

There was an association but the members all committed suicide.

Linguica said:

I never was

So? A lot of people are. Although to those who have a faith involving a negative afterlife, the second part of ThunderOrb's statement answers it's own question.

I believe it's a "fear of death"

\
Or just the fact that life has its pleasures, and our species tends to fear the unknown and cling to what's familiar. (life)

Who the hell said death is supposed to be so good?

He stated the source already... the Bible. Although the latter does not seem so pleasant... *reserves industrial strength air conditioner for apartment in Hell*

Can you please point me towards this pro-death popular culture I seem to have been missing all my life? Is there a highly rated "Mad About Death" TV show? Is Dr. Kervorkian TIME's man of the year? Did the government fund a "teen suicide is the answer" ad campaign?

They're called Christians. But the idea of death being positive is misunderstood in this thread. Its suposed to be a reward or a punishment. You have to play through the game first to get the good ending. Or the bad one. Unless you cheat or if life is a PS2 and you have gameshark . . . but that's besides the point.

Yes, according to Christianity, if you're good and all you get to go to heaven after you die. HOWEVER, ye olde Bible also tells us that we're supposed to be fruitful and multiply. We're supposed to try and stay alive as long as possible. Nowhere in the bible does it say that death is "good", it just says that there's a reward waiting for some people.

Assmaster said:

Yes, according to Christianity, if you're good and all you get to go to heaven after you die. HOWEVER, ye olde Bible also tells us that we're supposed to be fruitful and multiply. We're supposed to try and stay alive as long as possible. Nowhere in the bible does it say that death is "good", it just says that there's a reward waiting for some people.

Well I know damn well there isent a reward waiting for me so fuck em.

People don't fear death as much as they fear the pain associated with death.

That's why we have doctors: to alleviate pain.

Maybe we just fear the unknown and death is the ultimate mystery.

The way I look at it is that mankind feels it needs something to hold on to, to explain what happens after death, since they can't really explain it. People who are down and needy use religion to hold on too, hoping the object of their faith will pull them out of their hole they've gotten themselves in. Then theres the cases where they stay in that hole and lose faith in their so-called God.

What it comes down to is that everyones wants something to believe in and something to look forward too, and everyone wants an explanation for everything and a reason for it too, so we have religion to satisfy those who are foolish enough to believe it and get wrapped so strongly in it, that they consider any non-believers "sinners."

Afterall, one of the biggest things scientist like to say is "Man fears the unknown."

And regarding alien life forms, I believe they exist. The mere fact that there's so many freakin stars and planets, other galaxies, and for all me know even dimensions (whats on the other side of a black hole?), it is proposterous to think we are the only lifeforms that are intelligent out of all that. What the hell do people who don't believe in aliens think it is?! Parking space for our space shuttles?!

Since the dawn of man's consciousness he has been seeking answers to questions. Man has gone quite far in his search for knowledge. But since the dawn of man's consciousness something has continued to finagle it's way out of the grasp of his knowledge, and that scares him. It's the fear of the unknowns involved with death. In order to deal with this fear man has created deities. In the beginning deities were pretty silly, and they still are because they are deities. But enough time has lapsed to form religions that seem to hold all the answers, or at least ones that spawn circular arguments to which the only answer is to just "believe". The combination of man's fear and imagination has spawned many disastrous lies. I say whatever happens after death happens. Sure I fear it. I'm only a man. I want to know as much as any other guy. I mean if all this God bullshit is true then I'm royally fucked. If not then i'm not. I guess we'll see.

Hmm, every anti-religious statement around here seems to be based on Christianity. There are other religions, you know.

(whats on the other side of a black hole?),

Thats a common mis-conception. A black hole isn't really a hole at all. It's an incredibly small planetoid with incredibly strong gravity. If you flew "into" a black hole you'd just crash into the surface and be serperated into your component atoms.

So, if light can't escape a black hole, does that mean if you could go to the surface and take a look at it there would be a layer of light on the ground like a layer of fog?

Assmaster said:

Hmm, every anti-religious statement around here seems to be based on Christianity. There are other religions, you know.

this is a fine point. really, i'm not concerned about any religion. they all seem fairly wank to me. my only true religious belief is that glenn burton is a GOD.

I'd say why all the satements are anti-christian is because that christianity is the most encountered religion for most users on this forum, due to location. Whether it be off-shoots of it like judaism or muslim beliefs, they're still close enough to christianity that everyone considers them as that. I know where I live there arent many other religions being practiced aside from christianity. I think it's just about exposure. Because I'm sure that at least most of us on here have been forced by an overbearing parent to go to church at least once. Christianity also has the highest percentage of followers. If i remember correctly athiesm is starting to catch up with it though.

roughly 33% of the world is christian, if i recall correctly. someone feel free to correct that.