Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Thoughts after a DOOM Hiatus

Just got back from six weeks in Peru and when I saw my computer again it was like I had just bought it. The huge screen blew me away all over again and my Klipsch Promedias as well. Thought I'd play some DOOM. Holy shit! No wonder why I haven't switched to another FPS! Damn DOOM has it all. Makes me think, the reason there is still such a large DOOM community is because there isn't a better FPS out there. DOOM really still is the best. And until something as good comes along (DOOM 3 hopefully) a large community will always be here for DOOM. It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take before someone can get an FPS right as DOOM.
One thing this says, it's not the amount of technology a game has, it's what you do with that technology. Hope everyone read the Gamespy article on why DOOM got top pick, cause it sure hit the nail on the head. DOOM has the best atmosphere, the best sound, the best monsters and yes, the best graphics (the graphics and texturing are what give it its great atmosphere, so I say that it has the best graphics) and most importantly the best gameplay. Man I just love how it moves. Other games usually can pull one of those things, and it never seems to be gameplay. Some have stunning graphics, others a great story, but none have it all. DOOM has it all, even the story is good, cause it leaves your imagination up to the rest. Games today try to be realistic, and this is the problem. Games are for escaping reality and entering a different world. It doesn't matter if the player can move 180mph. Game developers gotta start realizing that. DOOM was so far from realistic, but so close to perfection. Some people prefer realism over arcadiness, but I think DOOM's longevity and success shows that most of us are more interested in whether it's fun to play or not. Here's to another 7 years of DOOMing.

Good to see you again, hellbent! We missed you!
/me receives $50,000 check in the mail from hellbent

Seriously, how was it in Peru? (Peru?!?!) Were you able to get on the Internet down there? Did they even have electricity? Hehehehe!

Good to have one of our own back!

We'll just leave it at that. Got sick a lot, nearly died of altitude sickness, stayed up to wee hours of the morning getting pasted (Peruvians party till it starts getting light out), visited beautiful places, ate strange foods, got strange illnesses, spent 170 hours on buses that crash all the time. Was $3 away from being on a bus that flipped over (couldn't afford it's bus fair). Saw a meteor shower that blew my mind. Southern Hemisphere makes our sky pale in comparison. Drank liquers with dead snakes and beetles and other yummy things in them. And, that's about it. And, yes, I went to Machu Picchu. Was pretty cool. The Incas were an amazing civilization to say the least. And, no, they don't run on steam power and transportation isn't done on mules. It's in teeny weeny Daewoo Tycos and Toyota buses that are as big as a Volkswagon van they get crammed into them 20 people. From now on I'll be saying packed in like Peruvians, not Mexicans. The driving in Peru is totally crazy. There are no rules and people take full advantage of this fact. Yep, a zillion places to get on the internet in every town. I could keep going on about it, but I think I'll stop there.