Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deldelda

Wouldn't eternal bliss get boring after a while?

By definition, no it wouldn't. Otherwise, it wouldn't be eternal bliss.

You wouldn't know that you were permanently blissful, but like the others say the question is (searches for technical term)... uh.. oh.. I haven't been to philosophy for quite a while.

I guess we have a definitive answer.

ToXiCFLUFF: Is it a rhetorical question? Hypothetical?

id like to know what can be eternally blissful. i dont think anything can keep me THAT happy FOREVER

I think you guys are trying to make this more complicated than it is. You'd be happy forever. Dont think of it in terms of simply being occupied.

what, an alternate sense of reality in which there are no true objectives, only a never-ending bliss of all things good?

:D

You wouldn't realize it was bliss. It would just be the normal state of affairs.

Anyway, if this is a genuine interest, rather than an idle question, you may wish to take a look at Plato's Philebus.

Oooohh. Plato. I always used to play with Plato.

And if it's just a normal state of affairs, how can it be bliss?

And what would everyone look like? And wouldn't bliss for some people not be bliss for others? Or are we transported into a place that is all-appealing? The idea is apalling ... ooh that rhymes lol :)

Sex, chocolate, beer, food, swimming pools, sport, computers, cars.

Uh, no.

And yes I am shallow, screw it.

I don't understand how fucking beatiful women all day long underneath the sun could get boring. That, and some beer of course. And more naked women.

Nope. Of course, you wouldn't be able to do anything in order to break the monotony of the bliss, including acknowledging or thinking about siad bliss.

Eternal torment, on the other hand, you'd be able to think about. :) For example, I'm thinking about how much Riprep.exe hates me.

deldelda said:

Oooohh. Plato. I always used to play with Plato.

And if it's just a normal state of affairs, how can it be bliss?

And what would everyone look like? And wouldn't bliss for some people not be bliss for others? Or are we transported into a place that is all-appealing? The idea is apalling ... ooh that rhymes lol :)

i don't think you're getting the fundamental point. eternal bliss could never get boring because then it wouldn't be eternal bliss. it would be something else. eternal bliss, by it's very definition, can never become boring. the answers to the other questions follow suit.

Disorder said:

I don't understand how fucking beatiful women all day long underneath the sun could get boring.

Don't forget that you'd orgasm constantly.

pregnant with worms said:

eternal bliss could never get boring because then it wouldn't be eternal bliss. it would be something else. eternal bliss, by it's very definition, can never become boring.

Then maybe it is just a contradiction in terms.

pregnant with worms said:
i don't think you're getting the fundamental point. eternal bliss could never get boring because then it wouldn't be eternal bliss. it would be something else. eternal bliss, by it's very definition, can never become boring. the answers to the other questions follow suit.

But another fundamental point is that you can only know something like bliss if you have something that is less than blissfull to compare it too. Bliss entails pain, or else there cannot be bliss. And most importantly, enternal bliss means that it's impossible not to be blissfull, which means that even if you wanted to remember something other than bliss, you can't because that would make you feel less than blissfull during the time you're remembering it. Thus, since bliss is the only thing you can feel, it is impossible to understand any value in it. It get boring very quickly.

I don't know about eternal bliss. but I know about internal bliss, and that would be having a pizza right now..

it would take a lot to create eternal bliss though... unless you had an infinite supply of drugs.. they would help make things that are boring fun again,.
and if it was eternal bliss, that would mean nothing bad could happen to you, so drugs wouldn't have bad effects on you. yay.

If you're referring to heaven when i doubt you'd call it bliss. Something makes me think you arent, so i'll leave it at that.

Ellipsus brought up something good, with nothing to compare bliss to how would you even know it's bliss. It could be fucking misery and you wouldnt know. All the more reason to not care, because in the end freedom becomes slavery.

Life is never really easy on all people on this planet. So if there is such a thing as eternal bliss, we might experience it after this life. I don't believe in it, although I'd love to experience it.

No, eternal bliss would not get boring. Would you rather have eternal bliss or eternal damnation? Think about it.

you would have your past to compare to the bliss. so eternal bliss would be different for different people. all depending on what things in their life they didn't like, and what made them happy.
yo.

In my opinion our brains our wired in such a way that no matter how hard we try, we can't think about some things. This for example, and looking through a window with nothing behind it (no white, black, color, anything), and some other stuff.

KoRn said:
you would have your past to compare to the bliss. so eternal bliss would be different for different people. all depending on what things in their life they didn't like, and what made them happy.
yo.

But if you remember to when you were not in bliss then you would have feeling of unblissfullness. That's the only way you can compare... an active comparison. And the notion of eternal bliss does not allow for active comparison. So while bliss may be great at first, over time it would become less and less special.