Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flametrooper

Why P2P network code ?

It's weird.

client-server networking model proved great for games like Quake, Quake2, Quake3, RTCW etc.

Why is DooM III going to have Peer To Peer network code ? There are rumors about max number of players limited to 8, 4 or sth. QuakeCOn deathmatch is going to feature 4 players simultaneously.

It seems obvious that P2P solution limits amout of players that can play simultaneously.
-------

What's the reason to introduce P2P networking in FPP game ?

1) Fancy graphics and animation comes at a cost..

OR

2) ID has some extremally cool tricks to show ?

WHat's your opinion ?

Flametrooper said:

It's weird.

client-server networking model proved great for games like Quake, Quake2, Quake3, RTCW etc.

The Doom3 engine utilizes an extensive scritping system.
AFAIK they ran into problems how to properly synchronize things with a client / server architecture.
The same applies to the lighting scheme I think.

It's not like Carmack disregarded the c/s architecture without a good reaseon.

Flametrooper said:

Why is DooM III going to have Peer To Peer network code ? There are rumors about max number of players limited to 8, 4 or sth. QuakeCOn deathmatch is going to feature 4 players simultaneously.

The player limit of 4 is a limit id software has decided to fit best into the current installed hardware base.
This limit, as many many other things in this engine, isn't hardcoded.

Doom 3 is far and away the most advanced video game ever developed. The networking features are in place due to the fact that its just extremely difficult to provide such features over old style networks, and personally as far as im concerned a change is in need anyways as id like to see a better implemented system.

Flametrooper said:

Where did you read that Doom III will feature a P2P netcode ?

sniperfrommars1 said:

Doom 3 is far and away the most advanced video game ever developed. The networking features are in place due to the fact that its just extremely difficult to provide such features over old style networks

Uh, Peer to Peer IS an old style

WhilelM said:

Where did you read that Doom III will feature a P2P netcode ?

In every Carmack interview where this question got asked.

Peer to peer is pretty sufficient for coop (if only Doom 3 had coop :-/). The best way to play coop imo is to sit in the same room as your buddies where you can shout/tell eachother your battle plans.

Regardless, I don't give a crap that Doom 3 uses P2P - actually, I think it's kinda good. No more 32-64 player chaotic battles, this time it's time to go all sneaky. If you want those bunnyhopping, huge battles, go and play Q3A - that stuff never gets old.

What's the point in making new mp games anyway - they're too damn similar anyway (different weapons don't make much of a difference in gameplay and it's not like you have a host of different, original enemies in an mp game, since all your enemies can use the exact same weapons as you).

The P2P thing doesn't bother me - I usually play duels or very small DM games anyway, because I like the strategy and level control elements which emerge in smaller games.

Well it sucks having to wait for all the players to be ready. Also, when your games crashes, don't even think of just getting back into the game. You're gonna have to wait until the game's over. I see more disadvantages than advantages.

dsm said:

Peer to peer is pretty sufficient for coop (if only Doom 3 had coop :-/). The best way to play coop imo is to sit in the same room as your buddies where you can shout/tell eachother your battle plans.

Regardless, I don't give a crap that Doom 3 uses P2P - actually, I think it's kinda good. No more 32-64 player chaotic battles, this time it's time to go all sneaky. If you want those bunnyhopping, huge battles, go and play Q3A - that stuff never gets old.

What's the point in making new mp games anyway - they're too damn similar anyway (different weapons don't make much of a difference in gameplay and it's not like you have a host of different, original enemies in an mp game, since all your enemies can use the exact same weapons as you).

Have you heard about CTF or Team Fortress style gameplay ? Or played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory perhaps ?
That's what I call real strategy, you have to adjust your playing style to make it effective.
Unlike DM/teamplay with items respawning on map, which is all about camping certain items, using same tactics and methods over and over.
Just look at Q2DM1. Hideous.

I hope they are going to somehow limit item camping in DooM3 - spreading valuable stuff farther from each other or (my dream) implementing semi-random item spawning.

There is a hope. DooM3 multiplayer maps are to be co-developed by Splash Damage, team formed from Quake 3 Fortress creators. Also creators of Enemy Territory. In ET, they proved they can make BOTH great-looking and balanced maps.

Flametrooper said:

I hope they are going to somehow limit item camping in DooM3 - spreading valuable stuff farther from each other or (my dream) implementing semi-random item spawning.

With decent map design you can discourage camping, and if items respawned randomly, there would be far less of the level control elements - which make up a vital part of (in duels or small DM games at least) the strategy.

So if you do not have 3 friends coming over with a PC, we'll have to connect to someone elses PC and then wait for 2 other guys?
(don't hit me i'm no network expert)

Has disadvantages and pro's...what happens while you wait? is there a chat room? or ??

About 4player MP and 32player..rtcw:et is e very good game ,with very nice balanced levels..but i think it depends on personal taste..some people just don't like large battle ..some do.. i like em both..
Splash damage workin on MP maps in Doom is great news..they know how to make maps work according to the gameplay...so it'll be 2 gametypes and hopefully splash does a great job to make that gameplay work on a 4 player dm or last man standing ..but we've seen their capebilities in ET and it's promising