Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mordeth

Gothic 2

Last week I got my hands on a copy of Gothic2, a 3D RPG. This must be the Best RPG Ever, and I HIGHLY recommend it to anyone interested in roleplaying.

It truely is a roleplaying game, with three classes to choose from in-game, NUMEROUS quests, a living breathing very detailed FUCKING HUGE 3D world and breathtaking panorama's. There's a day/night cycle, and the NPC's actually have daily routines... by day they sell their wares at the market square, by dusk they wander off and sit in a pub or go go to sleep at an inn. Townsfolk react hostile to you drawing a weapon or if you enter their houses, and refuse to deal with you afterwards until you pay them compensation. Murdering a NPC usually gets you in trouble with the militia.

The monsters are wonderfully done, and dangerous in their own right. I can't count how many times my low-level character had his ass handed back to him by mere Bloodflies... the combat system does take getting used to. You can't just point and click, but you actually have to make attacking and defending moves. Sentient beings (eg. skeletons, orcs) try to circle you, and are very good in blocking your attacks. For every kill you get experience, and you can level-up which gains your learning points (LP). These LPs can be spend to increase your character stats or to increase your weapon handling stats or to learn new abilities (eg. lockpicking, alchemy, creating runes). But, you can just add points to these stats... you'll have to find a NPC who is willing to teach you.

You can choose in-game which direction you want to take, but this decision does cut off certain paths for you... eg. a Paladin can never learn how to create runes (which carries powerful magic). You also get your own set of enemies and friends... your best friend as character A is your enemy when choosing B.

After playing intensily for a whole week and beating the game as militia/paladin... WOW. The most fun and immersive game I've played in a looong time.

There's a demo available, so give it a try!

Sad to say I'm not big on RPGs, but this looks pretty cool. I'll remember this for a rainy day when I'm bored of shooting things :)

*bookmarks*

How's character-creation and -building handled? How large and diverse is your selection of gear and character options?

IMJack said:
How's character-creation and -building handled? How large and diverse is your selection of gear and character options?

Everyone starts out in-game as the same undeveloped character, and the same (ultimate) mission to stop Evil from taking over the world. In order to achieve that goal you'll need to gain the trust of the folks of a nearby town... without their support you won't get far. So you can sign up as apprentice with one of the 4 / 5 different guild masters, each giving you different quests / advantages in the course of the game. Once apprenticed you can join up with one of the existing factions: become a novice and ultimately a magician, militia and ultimately a paladin, or mercenary and ultimately a dragonhunter. Apprenticeship, acceptance into a class and promotion depends on you succesfully completing quests, and general good behaviour towards the friendly NPCs because they are the ones that decide if you are worthy of becoming one of them. There's also a secret fourth guild, which every class can become a member of... quite profitable, too :)

You can only build your character with Learning Points, which you earn by leveling-up (10 LP/level). You can use learning points to get NPCs to teach you stuff.... either increasing your strength, dexterity or mana capacity, or increasing your effectiveness with a particular weapon (1-handed, 2-handed, bow or crossbow), or learning an ability. Some abilities have numerous possibilities (eg. alchemy, once learned, can be expanded from a simple healing potion all the way up to potions that can permanently change your stats... each step requiring additional LP); other abilities are just a one-point wonder, such as sneaking or lockpicking (but then again, your results tend to get a LOT better depending on your dexterity).

For all this you need a NPC to teach you, because you cannot just assign LPs to a particular stat or skill. Those NPCs also have to be friendly towards you... most of the time this requires doing a chore or quest for them. Early NPCs also have a cap... for example, the militia drill sargeant can only improve your combat skills up to a certain point, after which you'll have to find better drillmaster elsewhere. Most NPC's teach just one skill, eg. improving your effectiveness with a bow; others teach many aspects of a particular skill (hunters that teach you how to remove claws, teeth or plates from killed beasts).

Another way to improve your personal stats (strength, dexterity, mana, life) is to brew potions. You'll need the ability Alchemy for that, and the necessary skills, an alchemist desk and a few herbs with one ingredient (King's Sorrel) being exceptionally rare and very sought-after. Herbs can be found in the world, or sometimes be bought from vendors.

You are totally and utterly free to build your character any way you want it. You will not reach a limit for the duration of the game. But, some skills cannot be learned by different character classes... eg. a Paladin cannot learn the Magician's ability to create runes. But the Paladin has access to a different kind of (supporting) magic which is denied to the Magician.

Your selection of gear is limited, especially armor. Although there are dozens of different weapons, each has fixed stats. Thus, a dagger always has the same amount of damage... no sense trying to shop elsewhere for a better dagger. Armor can in some instance be bought or made, but the best armor can only be given after completion of a quest. Armors protect against different kind of damages: melee, projectile, fire and magic. Depending on your opponent you may want to choose a different armor.

You can also wear two rings and one amulet. Some improve your stats; others increase your defence against a particular kind of damage.

You can fail quests. You can kill NPCs that can teach you a particular skill. If you do, bad luck for you. Failed quests will eventually come back to haunt you, although 'important' quests can usually be solved in different ways. Doing it the "right" way usually results in having to spend less LP in order to learn a new skill then if you do it in the 2nd-best way.

Wow, the graphics are stunning!

Look at this. How atmospheric! From what I've gathered, I suppose it has stellar gameplay and storyline too. Looks to be the best RPG since Morrowind (perhaps even better).

BTW something I forgot to mention: it's third-person perspective, like Heretic 2, with a camera panning around your character (mostly from back). Movement is damn easy to get used to, but combat is harder to master.

Like Zoorado pointed out, it looks very good visually. I generally don't like computer RPGs but this is one I believe I should check out, especially judging from your thoughts about it, Mord :)

this looks and sounds really great. are the system specs steep?

Interesting. Any idea how the game mechanics work? Percentile dice, something like that?

Yes, I am an RPG rules monkey.