• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rellik

Wad Author News

I just got this back from an email to Mr. Williston:

At 03:57 PM 7/29/2003 -0600, you wrote:

Me: Just wondering how things were going Mr. Williston. Any progress with the editor? There are lots of us eager for the next release. :)

First, it's kind of you to ask. I'm in the final throes of dealing with my degree. I passed my final examination, and now I'm just trying to get all the loose ends tidied up. Once that's taken care of, I will get back to work on the source and get out another release.

Me: P.S. Many people have said that the release of the source code would be utterly fantastic, we sincerely hope that becomes a reality!

Well, I'm not quite ready to release the source code yet. The reason? Pure capitalism (grin). Honestly, I'm still making money selling source licenses for it if you can believe that. The latest DOOM-engine games on the GBA and other handheld platforms have meant that several developers have wanted to license the source code to WadAuthor. I am thinking seriously about moving WadAuthor (or at least much of it) to some kind of open license. The problem is that a fair amount of my company's intellectual property is tied up in that editor.

Feel free to post this on the Doomworld forums (and elsewhere). Maybe developers more savvy than I can provide useful commentary on how to maintain important intellectual property while opening up the source code. I haven't given up on WadAuthor, and I'm sorry the community is having to wait so long, but getting a Ph.D. takes a truly stunning amount of effort.

John

In previous messages he also said that while the next version will probably still need to be registered he fully plans to remove the need to in the future. His exact words: "I hate it when companies let good games and other products just die on the vine, and I know I probably won't have a ton of time or initiative for WadAuthor in the years to come."

Woo hoo!

Thanks for the update Doug. That is good news indeed.

Hiya.

Always nice to hear something about my fave editor. :D When he does get a new version out, I'm sending him another $20 (yes, I said another...I've been a registered WA user since it was first released). I know I don't have too, but I *want* to. I won't get into the $90 (whats that in Canadian? $130?) I sunk into a certain program that seems to be built for the "sole" reason of "fishing" for more money to see how "deep" my pockets are. ;) Suffice it to say, Mr.Willingston gets more of my $$$...even if he doesn't ask for it. :)