damn, its annoying

windows vs. windows  

47 members have voted

1. 1. windows vs. windows

• WinXP
    • win2000
    • screw windows, LINUX/BSD/MAC
    • DOS, oldschool is best

i just installed windowsXP on this laptop. Guess what, i hate it!! it has crashed numerous times. now outlook will not run. I have always had issues with winXP. I find windows2000 runs much better, despite the lack of some features.
anyways what about u

Im using Winona 98, shoplifters edition.

Maybe its your laptop, some friends swear by XP

I've not had one problem with XP since I got it, which has been since christmas. I vote XP. Heh.

i tend to use more intensive programs. so of coarse i will have issues in windows. winXP has given me more issues than any of them. It is geared more towards looking pretty and use friendly than use by techs or networks. I dont know of any admins that will use XP on a server, many dont want it installed on systems that connect to server( i dont mind)
i was useing win98 up until the disk became corrupt. yes a corrupt CD! not sure how cause not a scratch is on it, and it was kept in a cool dark area. a few of the cab files seem to be bad.

windows me is fine by me. i don't really like a lot of the things i've seen xp do.

ive had XP Pro for a while and ive never personally had a problem, and neither have all my friends who share the same cd :P

Sephiroth said:

i just installed windowsXP on this laptop. Guess what, i hate it!! it has crashed numerous times. now outlook will not run. I have always had issues with winXP. I find windows2000 runs much better, despite the lack of some features.
anyways what about u

For laptops, NOTHING beats Windows XP. Of course, that's because it comes practically free with a laptop, and requires no activation, ever. Also, it's been well established that XP has far better DOS-games support than 2000.

I sort of liked windows 98 for some reason. ME to me, sucked.
XP is nice and user friendly, but I find things can either be user freindly or have lots of features.
I am used to NT because a lot of places I go for internet access uses it. but I wouldn't know unless I had admin privleges.

Windows XP
I've been using it for a year and a half now and it works great for me. It only crashes in very, very rare instances, like when there's some serious hardware failure.

Windows xp::
a friends computer, which is several month old, crashes a lot during certain games. But other games run fine.
It sucks when playing a network game of dungeon seige when you get a 'don't send' (as they are called now...) and have to walk back to where you were after you load the game again.
I do enjoy the fact it almost rarely crashes to the point of having to restart.

Windows XP for me. Works fine.

mystic said:

Heh, sounds like a nice concept.

mystic said:

lol.
I should 'pick up' a copy of that.

Since Windows98se is the best OS for playing DOOM, this is an easy one.

Windows 98 is absolutely the best for running old games (such as Doom) besides actual DOS. However, Windows XP is better at almost everything else. It's really up to the user. I love old games, so it's nice to use Windows 98 for that, but XP is nice for all its features. In XP's defense, I will say that under normal conditions, XP should never crash (Don't ask me what normal conditions are; I have no idea).

I tried using Windows 98se after upgrading my system earlier this year, but I was running into innumerous problems. Someone finally set me straight and explained that Win98 just can't handle a system as fast as mine is now. I had a copy of Win2kPro lying around that I picked up two years ago for 8 bucks thanks to the Microsoft/UT student discount. I got it installed and off we went.

here's some of my logged uptimes with win2k, just to give you an idea of its stability (winxp is pretty much the same, being NT5.1 where win2k is NT5.0):

7/21/2003  7:56:02 AM  Shutdown             Prior uptime:46d 5h:48m:48s
4/13/2003  3:30:01 AM  Shutdown             Prior uptime:17d 0h:55m:57s
3/17/2003  7:38:55 PM  Shutdown             Prior uptime:7d 1h:48m:14s
2/26/2003  7:58:49 PM  Shutdown             Prior uptime:7d 20h:26m:3s
1/31/2003 11:52:52 PM  Shutdown             Prior uptime:8d 12h:38m:33s
8/30/2002  5:24:57 PM  Shutdown             Prior uptime:15d 3h:44m:21s
the majority of my restarts are are due to windows updates. of course I can't play dos games, but I couldn't really care less about that, there isn't a single game I'd place higher than overall system stability, something win98 doesn't offer

IMJack, I doubt it was speed, but RAM that was an issue. Win98 doesn't function well with more than 512Mb RAM... even with virtual paging off.

Obviously, the preferred OS is up to the user. all depends upon what you use it for.... and where your priorities lie... or lay, I'm not quite sure. :)
Those of us who cling to windows98 will soon have to face a harsh reality that we will have to upgrade to even surf the web. so sad, and unnecessary, but true.