Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
spank

Jeffery Deaver's "The Blue Nowhere"

A quick word of warning for you all.

It seems to be the worst hacker story book I've ever started reading (I'm at chapter 1001 - thankfully that's base 2).

I'm hating it right now because the author, who obviously had no clue about computers, must have done this incredibly Herculean task of research, which lead to the most amazing inaccuracies, nonsenses and downright cheesiness. Yes, I will use my TRAPDOOR.EXE program (a kludge coded in five minutes, because I'm a codeslinging wizard) to magically monitor all of your computer usage (regardless of operating system) so as to learn all about your life and kill you in March 31st (that's the UNIVAC launch anniversary, because I'm a computer history fanatic)!

So silly. I just hope the thriller part of it is pleasant...

Haha... yeah, they very rarely get anything related to computers right in books and movies. Though I guess they actually never get anything right for any subject - but we (people like most of those who visit this forum) don't notice because we're only geeks in the area of computers.

I think that if they were a bit more precise they would achieve the same results with the computer-challenged folks and respect with the rest.

The Matrix Reloaded had a reasonably realistic hacking scene (when Trinity does that ssh rc exploit in the nuclear plant or whatever), so why don't other authors follow suit?

Oh yeah, The Animatrix owns.

I love it when someone in a Hollywood movie receives an e-mail.

"YOU'VE GOT MAIL! YOU'VE GOT MAIL!! YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!!1"

..with bright flashy letters all over the place.

I think it's even better when some 11 year old kid is "hacking into the government computer database with 128-bit encryption security!!" and there's a bunch of WARNINGS and other retarded things on screen to make it look like hacking the government is as easy as playing a game!

Movies always are horrible at showing computers.. I remember one movie where a computer was used to display communications from something (a ship maybe, I forget) and it was a full screen video of the person talking, but the video was the desktop image. You could see the icons on the side of the video. Like, WTF?
and high security systems always have an elaborate GUI to help hackers find their way around.

KoRn said:

Like, WTF?
and high security systems always have an elaborate GUI to help hackers find their way around.

Swordfish!

Yeah and all Hackers are exceptionally good looking and muscle bound cool people like Hugh Jackman, Val Kilmer, and Ryan Phillipe. Ghad, there coming out with a new hacker movie too which, get this, starts some hunky guy as the hacker genius. I think it might actually be Colin Farell.

LOL, funny true story: I was watching "The Net" starring Sandra Bullock ( as a coding genius who happens to be gorgeous ) with a bunch of friends in my computer room. I was making fun of it while my computer was in DOS mode. I was just randomly hitting keys and hitting enter sarcastically announcing "I'm hacking into the Pentagon! Look at me! I'm hacking directly into the Presidents ass!" After the movie was over I shut off my comp. The next day when I fired it up again it was all fucked up. I eventually figured out that my jackassing around screwed up my BIOS and it wasn't reading my harddisk properly. I found it pretty funny.

KoRn said:

Movies always are horrible at showing computers.. I remember one movie where a computer was used to display communications from something (a ship maybe, I forget) and it was a full screen video of the person talking, but the video was the desktop image. You could see the icons on the side of the video. Like, WTF?

"Alien" did pretty good for Mother.

Ever notice how, when you show people playing video games in a movie, the actors are always spastically slamming on the controls regardless of what's happening in the game?

IMJack said:

Ever notice how, when you show people playing video games in a movie, the actors are always spastically slamming on the controls regardless of what's happening in the game?

and it always uses lame ass sound effects from the fuckin atari games

I think the main reason movies so often "get things wrong" regarding computers isn't really ignorance. It's because reality is quite boring. In reality if the firewall of the server you are trying to hack catches your monkey business, things just stop responding and nothing happens. I figure writers and movie directors think it's more fun if there are sirens and multicolored flashing warnining signs to liven things up.

Heh, I've noticed that recently, there's been a trend to make computers more realistic in movies, primarily because the average Joe is more likely to have used a computer. For instance, "You've Got Mail" had (thankfully) no huge flashy lights and sirens to annouce the presence of e-mail. I think that as more people go "WTF my computer never does that!" directors will be forced to keep it real to keep the audience in the movie.

on the book side of things, 'cryptonomicon' definitely got things right. and is a godlike, amazing fucking book anyway.

Also there is the crazy sparking computer effect we see in movies when a computer breaks down. I would like to see a computer do that.
But again, people wouldn't understand what is going on if it just stopped working.

ravage said:

"Alien" did pretty good for Mother.

Well, except that they were using what looks like a 1970's mainframe in the year 2070... I don't know wtf all those lights were supposed to do, either.

david_a said:

Well, except that they were using what looks like a 1970's mainframe in the year 2070... I don't know wtf all those lights were supposed to do, either.

But it looked realistic at the time being.

Extrapolating from the evolution of computers thus far, I find it most probable that computers in the future will be extremely discreet. No flashing lights and probably no buttons at all, they'll be as neutral as walls (possibly built inside them :)

I hate how in movies/shows portraying the future, all the technology looks so delicate.

Another thing about movies is that proccesing time is almost nothing. oh well. It would be boring to watch a movie that had realistic load times.

KoRn said:

It would be boring to watch a movie that had realistic load times.

it would actually amuse the hell out of me. imagine the intensity!

KoRn said:

Another thing about movies is that proccesing time is almost nothing. oh well. It would be boring to watch a movie that had realistic load times.

On the other hand, whenever someone is using a computer to compare or match images or photographs, it always displays every image it cycles through until it gets a match, an example of unusually slow processing.

Fredrik said:

Haha... yeah, they very rarely get anything related to computers right in books and movies. Though I guess they actually never get anything right for any subject - but we (people like most of those who visit this forum) don't notice because we're only geeks in the area of computers.

I remember a long time ago I was watching Crimson tide with my friend and some other people and his dad, who was a Mster Chief in the Navy, was watching as well. At one point in the movie, the captain goes "Load torpedo tubes 1 and 2", and they did and his dad was like "heh...those were 3 and 4". Then the captain was like "Fire tubes 1 and 2" and his dad was like "Hahaha...those were 2 and 4!"

It was kinda funny.

Heh, sometimes filmmakers get smart and go the extra mile for authenticity. R. Lee Ermey was originaly brought in as a technical advisor for "Full Metal Jacket", but they gave him the role of the drill sergeant when they realized nobody else could get the part right.

R. Lee Ermey owns your ass on History Channel's Mail Call. :D

Heh, he and this professional medival crossbowman were having a Hell of a time getting the bolt in a watermelon that was like 30 feet away. Just goes to show you how accurate those things REALLY were.

/me is a huge fan of the History Channel

Never forget that if aliens attack the Earth, the only thing that stand between them and world domination (besides some military hardass with a huge chip on his shoulder) is a computer geek and a "really 1337" 1996-esque laptop.